Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PCGS and DCAM and CAM designations for world coppers

I know that NGC grants CAM and DCAM designations to world coppers and PCGS does that too for US proof coppers, but have not seen any PCGS copper proof in this designation. I was planning on sending a submission to PCGS soon and would send these in if PCGS does that.
PS: I know I can ask this to customer service, but my last question was answered well after I had received my submission back!!

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen CAM and DCAM designation on world proof coppers. They are comparatively more rare than their silver counterparts.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS routinely uses the DCAM + CAM designation on Canadian, UK, South Africa and other countries that produce cameo proof coinage. You can view some in the pop reports.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Thanks very much. I now checked the PCGS pops too for these countries and as mentioned above by neildrobertson, these are not given out as their silver/gilt counterparts. Thanks again!

• Options
    SPPSPP Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

I only speak with experience from Canadian bronze coins here:

For proof strikes, PCGS has always given the DCAM designation.
    For specimen and proof like strikes, CAM designation is more or less what ICCS (Canadian grading companies) calls "Ultra Heavy Cameo". DCAM attribution is darned near impossible!! So far, only 3 PL 1-cent coins have gotten it!!

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0