Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2021 year in review: German States deep dive

worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 12, 2021 7:19PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I think I went “all in” in 2021. I reluctantly let go of several Papal States piastras in order to free up funds to more aggressively pursue some new additions. In alphabetic order by German State:

1753 Bamberg medallic taler
Sede Vacante medal struck after the death of the Prince-Bishop Johann Philipp Anton von Franckenstein. Perhaps the favorite design in my entire collection. Obv: double headed eagle with sword and orb in its claws, the coats of arms of the ten older canons on the outstretched wings, banner below. The reverse features an eagle on a pyramid-shaped pedestal with a monastery coat of arms, with Emperor Heinrich II right and Empress Cunigunda left. Designed by P.P. Warner. Classification: Zepernick 66, Heller 370. Taler size and weight (44.12 mm; 32.77 g). NGC MS-64

1753 Bamberg medal
Sede vacante medal issued upon the death of Johann Philipp Anton von Franckenstein, Prince-Bishop of Bamberg from 1746-1753. Obv features St. George killing the dragon with the lance. Reverse features Emperor Heinrich II on horseback with Bamberg cathedral behind. Designed by J. L. Oexlein. Classification: Zepernick 67, Heller 371. 38.32 mm; 21.63 g. NGC MS-63

1691 Halberstadt bishopric taler
The 1691 taler was issued jointly by the city and the bishopric and represents the last taler issued by Halberstadt. First purchase of the year in the Heritage auction in January. Classified as DAV-5356, Zepernick 317.NGC MS-62

Hamburg wedding ½ taler (c 1620)
Hochzeitstaler (wedding taler) of 1/2 taler weight (13.9 g). No date; assumed to be struck in Hamburg circa 1619/20 due to mint mark of Henning Hanses. 44 mm broad taler (brieter taler). Obv: Christ, wearing nimbus crown, standing between bride and groom. Rev: Christ, wearing nimbus crown, seated to left of table, seated around, bride, groom and two other guests; in foreground below, jars.

Attribution of this piece is under review. Originally identified as 1/2 weight version of Behrens 727b due to exact same obv & rev incriptions per 1905 edition of "Munzen und Medaillen Stadt und des Bisthums Lubeck" by Heinrich Behren (page 226). HOMO NON SEPARARET QVOS DEVS CONIVNXIT (man would not separate what God has connected) IESVS CHRISTVS MACHET WASSER ZU GVDEM WEINN IOHA AZ (food blessing). The 1 taler weight is 51mm and 28g in weight with similar design. However, most recent research suggests that this might be 1/2 weight version of Hamburg Gaedechens 1536 (due to Zainhaken mint mark of Henning Hanses). It is possible that NGC misattributed the state on the holder. No definitive answers at this point. NGC MS-61

1732 Mainz schautaler
This was perhaps my second most significant purchase of the year. With ridiculously low mintage of 200, I was not sure that was obtainable even after a multiple year search. Sede Vacante issue upon death of Franz Ludwig von Pfalz-Neuburg, Archbishop-Elector of Mainz. Obv: Riding St. Martin shares coat with beggar, below chapter coat of arms. Classified as Walther 499, Zepernick 15, Pick 646, Prinz Alexander 656, KM 266, Slg. Heerdt 546. 42.4 mm 29.1g. PCGS AU-58.

1774 Mainz ¼ schautaler
Sede vacante issue struck after the death of Emmerich Joseph von Breidbach zu Bürresheim, Archbishop-Elector of Mainz from 1763 to 1774. Classified as Zepernick 28, Prinz Alexander 757, Slg. Walther 642. Designed by von August Friedrich Stieler. 32 mm, 7,33 g. Scarce. NGC MS-62.

1763 Regensburg medal
Sede Vacante issue struck after the death of Johann Theodor of Bavaria, the Bishop of Regensburg. Classified as Zepernick 249, Plato 50, Slg. Erl. 2305. Designed by von J. L. Oexlein. 34,4 mm, 10,99 g. Smaller of two Regensburg medals issued in 1763; larger is the 55mm Zepernick 248 issue. NGC MS-62

**1662 Saxe-Weimar “death taler” **
Struck upon the death of Wilhelm IV, Duke of Saxe-Weimar. Scarce 1 year type DAV-7550, KM84.1.
Obverse features two hands holding 4 arrows, symbolic of the unification of the estates of Saxe-Weimar, Saxe-Marksuhl, Saxe-Eisenach, and Saxe-Jena (passed to him upon the earlier deaths of his brothers). Legend: “The unity of brothers is a stronger fortress than any wall”. Reverse features an ornate obelisk with ribbons commemorating his birth (April 11, 1598), rebirth/baptism (April 23, 1598), death (May 17, 1662), and burial (Jun 24, 1662). Interesting to note this ornate taler was one of many designed by Wilhelm himself; engraved by Johann Christoph Durr. NGC MS-62

1669 Saxe-Weissenfels “death taler”
This was a 1 year "death taler" struck to commemorate the death of August's (Duke of Saxe-Weissenfels) wife Anna Maria von Mecklenburg-Schwerin with whom he had 12 children. Obv: Jacob wrestling with archangel. Rev: dates for her birth, marriage, and death. Struck under Augustus while he was the administrator for the bishopric of Magdeburg (which was dissolved 11 years later and turned over to the duchy). Classified as DAV-7659A. NGC AU-58

1801 Teutonic Order 1/6 taler
10 Kreuzer (1/6 taler) struck to commemorate the death of the Elector of Cologne and the Teutonic Order Grand Master, Archduke Maximilian Francis of Austria. He was the youngest child of Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor and Maria Theresa. His siblings included emperors Joseph II and Leopold II, and Marie Antoinette. He was the last fully functioning Elector of Cologne (secularized in the course of the German mediatisation of 1802–1803) and the second employer and patron of the young Ludwig van Beethoven. Sharp strike; classified as KM 156, Prokisch 307, Noss 829, Neum. 181. PCGS MS-64

1749 Wurzburg medal
Sede Vacante issue struck after the death of Anselm Franz of Ingelheim (1683–1749), the Bishop of Würzburg. Classified as Zepernick 258, Helm. 673, Slg. Erl. 2390, Bernh. 379. Designed by von A. Vestner. 33 mm, 14,55 g. Smaller of 2 Wurzburg medals struck in 1749; the larger being Zepernick 257 which is 44 mm in size. NGC MS-63

1754 Wurzburg medal
1754 Wurzburg medal issued to commemorate the death of Karl Philipp Freiherr von Greiffenclau zu Vollraths (1690–1754), the Prince-Bishop of Wurzburg from 1749 to 1754. The medal is 14.5 g, 33mm. Classified as Helm 700 / Zepernick 260. Obv depicts St Kilian standing holding a sword and crozier. Uncommon issue; one of two medals issued in 1754 to recognize the sede vacante. NGC MS-63

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!!! Your post almost makes me wish I’m into German States still. Almost.

Love your acquisitions. You had a good year.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

EVP - thanks much! I think its the first time in a decade I've stuck to one theme without meandering all over the place. I will be quite interested in seeing if I can get any answers on the Hamburg piece. The 1T, 1.5T, and 2T pieces are fairly well documented but this 1/2 weight strike is proving to be difficult to attribute. NGC took a pass on it and went with a generic label: "German Silver - Lubeck, 13.9g, 1/2 taler weight".

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins / medals, congratulations.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do you find coins like those? They are great!

@JohnnyCache - many thanks!

@Herb_T - Appreciate it. I don't get a chance to go to many shows, so I am probably guilty of a bit too much hobby time behind the keyboard. I find it relaxing after a day of work. I am big on keyword searches to scan for coins of interest, and I track a decent volume of things out of simple curiosity. I can't imagine how many thousands of coins I've browsed, but seeing high volumes of coins trains the eye and gives confidence to act when the right one comes along. It varies from year to year, but in general I keep an eye on biddr.com, ma shops, ebay, heritage, and stacks. A half dozen purchases in a year is a big deal for me, so this year was an quite the exception.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, Brent, quite a year! I'm struggling to pick a favorite as all of them are excellent additions. Leaning towards the 1732 Mainz schautaler as I love the imagery and that particular type of toning.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. I like them all, but am partial to the Bamberg medals.

You continuing the theme in the next year?

My current "Box of 20"

edited December 16, 2021 9:48PM

@Bob13 said:
    Thanks for sharing. I like them all, but am partial to the Bamberg medals.

You continuing the theme in the next year?

There are still lots of options when considering the various German State bishoprics. I recently purchased a quartet of 3 kreuzer "death groschen" issues from Bamberg.

1729 - Death of Lothar Franz von Schönborn-Buchheim (1655-1729)

1753 - Death of Johann Philipp Anton von Franckenstein (1695-1753)

1779 - Death of Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim (1708-1779)

1795 - Death of Franz Ludwig von Erthal (1730-1795)