Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

EBAY Standard Envelope- Is it a good thing or a mess ??

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 10, 2021 10:26AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I've been doing my research on this and have come up with almost no good information. It sounds like there are a million problems with this and ultimately the envelopes are not trackable. Just printing the labels seems to be a chore also. I've heard many get there account dinged due to envelopes not showing delivered or not on time. Does anyone have good reviews about this or any good advice regarding this process?? I'd like to use it for 2 cards in top loaders- those type of transactions. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2021 10:33AM

I've never had issues as far as customers not receiving the cards, even if the tracking is a little bit wonky.

There is a little bit more labor involved to tape the label to the PWE, but definitely worth the savings in shipping costs IMO.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

@PNWcollector said:
    I've never had issues as far as customers not receiving the cards, even if the tracking is a little bit wonky.

There is a little bit more labor involved to tape the label to the PWE, but definitely worth the savings in shipping costs IMO.

I bought those EBAY standard envelopes. Do you use them at all?? How are the envelopes scanned if the postal carrier is not scanning the envelope??

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@PNWcollector said:

I bought those EBAY standard envelopes. Do you use them at all?? How are the envelopes scanned if the postal carrier is not scanning the envelope??

I don't know about those. I print the standard envelope label, cut it, and then tape it to PWEs I buy at the store.

• parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I’m with PNWcollector, I have never had any issues using them. I do exactly what he said. Print the provided label from eBay, cut it and tape it to a 3x5 envelope. I use different pricing options depending on the number of cards I send. 1 card=$0.53, 2 cards=0.73, 3 cards=$0.93. That’s three cards in 3 separate top loaders. Not too thick and not overweight. Mine always get tracked the entire way and show delivery. On the other hand I have bought cards that were shipped with the eBay standard envelope and they weren’t tracked. They just showed up but I have always gotten the ones I bought and my customers have always gotten the ones I shipped. I highly recommend it. Use the provided label and you won’t have any issues.

• NorcalNorcal Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2021 11:51AM

For the most part I haven't had many problems. When I print the labels out, my return address is typically cut off. The tracking is not good in my opinion and over half of my orders are never delivered. However, I've had only one complaint so far about the card never being delivered but since the complaint was over a month old, eBay ruled in my favor.

• jimqjimq Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

When the letter sorting machines sort the letters in delivery order, they take pictures of each letter. At the USPS.com, you can sign up for a thing called |informed delivery" and they send you a scan of each letter you should receive that day. I think somewhere in that system they scan the barcodes on those ebay envelopes and they become "delivered". For me it was not always perfect, some showed delivered a day or 2 early or late, but they were close. As a carrier I had no way to scan them delivered. As a clerk my wife also had to way to scan them. I think it's all done by machine.

I had no problems using the ebay envelopes shipping or receiving. I thought it was a good plan for cheap cards, Carriers miss scans sometimes.

It sounds like they are pushing the sale of their own envelope; but the tracking only works good with PWE types because of the way it goes through the sorter. The carriers do not scan anything from what I'm hearing. Clerks at the counters don't scan anything either??

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

I don't know about those. I print the standard envelope label, cut it, and then tape it to PWEs I buy at the store.

"Same."

• jimqjimq Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:
    It sounds like they are pushing the sale of their own envelope; but the tracking only works good with PWE types because of the way it goes through the sorter. The carriers do not scan anything from what I'm hearing. Clerks at the counters don't scan anything either??

nobody ever scans it. That's why they can do it so "cheap". USPS gets a lot of low weight easy mail, no human work involved.

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Never had a problem sending or receiving. My problem is people who are not using this service. I see many $1 cards for sale that I would buy for my player collections, but I am not going to spend $4.50 shipping for a $1 card. Ebay protects you and the buyer up to $20, so there really isnt a downside I see other than losing a sale because of trying to charge $4-5 for shipping in a bubble mailer

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

MESS

I don’t understand the complaints with this or the people saying the tracking doesn’t work. If you use the provided label, printed off from eBay, and you use the correct size envelope (eBay clearly states you should use a 3x5 Plain White Envelope) you should have no problem. I don’t know exactly how many cards I have shipped this way but it’s easily over 100 and I have NEVER had one not get delivered and it tracked it all the way. Also I have bought 20-30 cards that were delivered with the same service most were tracked all the way (unless the person didn’t use the provided label or used the wrong envelope). And all of mine were delivered on the day they said delivered. Sometimes when they get to our regional distribution center they will say “out for delivery” but I know they aren’t really out for delivery because they haven’t made it to my post office yet. For the people complaining about this service I have to be the one to say, it’s your fault. You are doing something wrong. There’s no way I can ship 100+ cards with this service and NEVER have a problem, if the service didn’t work. Some people just like to complain if they have ONE bad experience but things happen and sometimes items get misplaced but you can’t judge something you’ve only used a time or two. And again if something did go wrong it was probably your fault anyway, you didn’t use the correct envelope, you didn’t use the label correctly….

@parthur1607 I commend you, as you appear to be one of the few that understands how to correctly use the service. Unfortunately, not everyone follows directions.

Other users seem to think that more rigid is better. It's not. They don't understand how their letter mail is processed through the automated equipment. They should watch a YouTube video of a high speed letter sorter. They try to scrimp by and ship 4 cards in a super thick toploader, between 2 pieces of cardboard, inside of a paperboard mailer. No, no, no. They don't understand that if their mailpiece causes a jam, it will be removed from the mailstream and sent to manual processing. They don't realize that the USPS absolutely HATES wasting manpower on manual sorting, so anything that looks machinable at a glance goes back into the automated mailstream. Guess what. That mailpiece likely jams again, and finds itself in a loop. Watch the YouTube videos, people. How many extra times do you want your cards to go through all of that, only to come to a hard stop in a gate or pinchpoint between rollers?

That is why you'll see tracking as delivered, only to have it show up at your address weeks later. It was scanned the first time through the machine at the destination processing plant, only to be lost in the endless loop. Never mind the fact that by blatantly marking the mailpiece as an eBay Standard Envelope, any employee with sticky fingers knows to target those.

I've purchased hundreds of raw cards prior to the eBay Standard Envelope, shipped in just a PWE, and I can't recall offhand ever having an issue. The extra 40 cents or whatever it is for the eBay SE is a scam to pad the pockets of eBay and the USPS. It doesn't deliver in any way on what it promises. The "tracking" is fake. Your mailpiece is no different that the credit card offer or insurance bill with a barcode, with reduced pre-sort or printed postage paid, which those companies sending those to you can also "track" if they choose. It's all info contained in that bar code that the USPS automated equipment picks up as the mail moves through the system.

If you're just selling low dollar cards, you're likely better off just using a PWE anyway and "self insuring" with the reduced shipping a good ol' stamp gets ya.

• @countdouglas said:
    @parthur1607 I commend you, as you appear to be one of the few that understands how to correctly use the service. Unfortunately, not everyone follows directions.

Other users seem to think that more rigid is better. It's not. They don't understand how their letter mail is processed through the automated equipment. They should watch a YouTube video of a high speed letter sorter. They try to scrimp by and ship 4 cards in a super thick toploader, between 2 pieces of cardboard, inside of a paperboard mailer. No, no, no. They don't understand that if their mailpiece causes a jam, it will be removed from the mailstream and sent to manual processing. They don't realize that the USPS absolutely HATES wasting manpower on manual sorting, so anything that looks machinable at a glance goes back into the automated mailstream. Guess what. That mailpiece likely jams again, and finds itself in a loop. Watch the YouTube videos, people. How many extra times do you want your cards to go through all of that, only to come to a hard stop in a gate or pinchpoint between rollers?

That is why you'll see tracking as delivered, only to have it show up at your address weeks later. It was scanned the first time through the machine at the destination processing plant, only to be lost in the endless loop. Never mind the fact that by blatantly marking the mailpiece as an eBay Standard Envelope, any employee with sticky fingers knows to target those.

I've purchased hundreds of raw cards prior to the eBay Standard Envelope, shipped in just a PWE, and I can't recall offhand ever having an issue. The extra 40 cents or whatever it is for the eBay SE is a scam to pad the pockets of eBay and the USPS. It doesn't deliver in any way on what it promises. The "tracking" is fake. Your mailpiece is no different that the credit card offer or insurance bill with a barcode, with reduced pre-sort or printed postage paid, which those companies sending those to you can also "track" if they choose. It's all info contained in that bar code that the USPS automated equipment picks up as the mail moves through the system.

If you're just selling low dollar cards, you're likely better off just using a PWE anyway and "self insuring" with the reduced shipping a good ol' stamp gets ya.

I have no idea what you are saying. eBay standard envelope postage is cheaper than a first class stamp AND it comes insured. The scans are super inconsistent but the no delivery rate is about the same as a PWE AND if it the buyer claims not received, you are covered by insurance if it does't show delivered or by eBay seller protection if it shows delivered. It's not perfect but cheaper than a PWE and you are covered against shady buyers as well as lost mail. The biggest issue I found in the beginning was the post office sending them back for insufficient postage on occasion

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

I have bought or sold between 50 and 100 cards using this method. I may have had one issue. If you are selling cards under $10, there really is no other efficient way of doing it. It makes no sense to sell a card under $10 and charge $4.50 in shipping. I’m stunned at how many cards sell for $.99 with $4.50 shipping. Sellers are leaving a ton of money on the table by doing that. And for what, saving the risk of a four dollar card having to be refunded? Makes no sense. Please, if you are selling inexpensive cards use standard envelope shipping.

Then I guess it really is best sometimes to not know how the sausage gets made. Carry on, then.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased two cards that were shipped with ebay envelopes. One arrived, the other did not. So at this point, anyway, I am not a fan.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2021 10:02PM

@Mickey71 said:
    I've been doing my research on this and have come up with almost no good information. It sounds like there are a million problems with this and ultimately the envelopes are not trackable. Just printing the labels seems to be a chore also. I've heard many get there account dinged due to envelopes not showing delivered or not on time. Does anyone have good reviews about this or any good advice regarding this process?? I'd like to use it for 2 cards in top loaders- those type of transactions. Thanks in advance for the advice.

The eBay Standard envelope is fine and great compared to charging $4 or using a stamp and not getting tracked shipping metric credit. Anyone that is complaining about the eBay PWE program is just not that bright or not looking at in the context of what used to be (using stamps) or charging $4 for tracking on a cheap card. Is it perfect, NO, but does it hurt the seller, NO... Any negatives due to PWE shipping issues can be removed. Any damage or loss is covered by the "free" insurance. It's win/win... PERIOD

If you are a buyer and don't like the eBay PWE, then don't choose it at checkout..... pay $4. Say thank you mam, may I have another!!!

• I don’t understand the complaints with this or the people saying the tracking doesn’t work. If you use the provided label, printed off from eBay, and you use the correct size envelope (eBay clearly states you should use a 3x5 Plain White Envelope) you should have no problem.

Incorrect. As I've stated before in another thread, I have received around 20 cards by this method. Half of them still do not show them as being delivered, even though I received them all weeks (or even months) ago. Do not use this service for any card valued over a few bucks.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

I've never had any issues. I print all my labels on large stickers that come 2 to a sheet. I just wrap the sticker around the top and bottom of the envelope and it works excellent.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

>

Incorrect. As I've stated before in another thread, I have received around 20 cards by this method. Half of them still do not show them as being delivered, even though I received them all weeks (or even months) ago. Do not use this service for any card valued over a few bucks.

It comes with insurance to cover the value, why would you not use it for cards over a few bucks as well??

• gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭

I use the light CD mailers. The label fits perfectly. If you use it according to the rules under $20 per transaction etc. ebay will cover a not received claim. I've received everything that I've ordered and have had no claims of items not received. It's been seamless so far.

From ebay:
    You are still responsible for getting the order to the buyer in good shape. However, each eBay standard envelope shipment includes a $20 shipping protection plan on a single order and up to $50 on combined orders to help in case of lost or damaged items.

To file a claim, select the button below and add the following information to the form:

Tell us what happened - was your item damaged, or was your shipment lost?
    Enter the claim information and your PayPal email address.
    Enter the following additional information:
    Your first and last name
    The buyer’s first and last name
    Shipment tracking number
    eBay item number
    Screenshot of eBay Order Details
    Screenshot of buyer’s complaint message or dispute details regarding the lost or damaged item
    When finished, select File the claim.
    Claims must be filed no later than 90 days from the date the shipping label was created.

• It comes with insurance to cover the value, why would you not use it for cards over a few bucks as well??

If the card is still in USPS limbo, why would eBay pay an insurance claim? Also remember than any screwups, even if it's not your fault, will be kept track of by eBay. Too many problems and they will limit your number of listings or even stop you from listing anything on their site.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

As others have said, the tracking doesn’t work. I’ve sent 10 this way. 9 success, 1 never delivered. I’m assuming it finally arrived but after eBay favored in the buyers favor since the tracking did not work. These are lower priced items, but still a pain when you can’t rely on tracking.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:
    ......If the card is still in USPS limbo, why would eBay pay an insurance claim?......

Because ebay has a more detailed reporting of the tracking information that neither the buyer nor seller can see.

• Doesn't matter what inside info they have. No one is going to pay an insurance claim if the package is in limbo.

@MisterTim1962 said:
    Doesn't matter what inside info they have. No one is going to pay an insurance claim if the package is in limbo.

False, the insurance will pay once eBay decides against you for non-delivery. The tracking status is irrelevant unless it says delivered, otherwise it is considered lost. The "insurance" is under contract with eBay, so they know the nuances....

edited December 12, 2021 2:37PM

@MisterTim1962 said:

Also remember than any screwups, even if it's not your fault, will be kept track of by eBay. Too many problems and they will limit your number of listings or even stop you from listing anything on their site.

Wrong, any "screw-ups" caused by the eBay PWE is forgiven and removed from metrics. You sound like a worrywart....

• GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I've used it for between 10 and 20 deliveries, and three times it never showed up as delivered. I checked with two customers and they confirmed that the card did arrive, so I didn't bother to contact the third (figuring he'd write me if it was missing). I then consulted Customer Support via a chat and was told that these seeming non-deliveries wouldn't affect my rating as a seller (I think because the system did confirm that I had put the cards in the mail).

It's annoying, but I'd rather take my chances that cards mostly worth $.50-$1.50 will get there but not be recorded as delivered than try to sell those cards with shipping costing at least $2.50 more.

As for envelopes, I use a 6"x8" envelope rather than one from eBay, and it's worked fine.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

As far as envelopes, I use the sturdy CD mailers.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Wrong, any "screw-ups" caused by the eBay PWE is forgiven and removed from metrics. You sound like a worrywart

Nope, just not going to have my selling on eBay limited over a few $10 cards. You sound like the worst type of eBay seller, one who doesn't give a crap.

• Wrong, any "screw-ups" caused by the eBay PWE is forgiven and removed from metrics. You sound like a worrywart

Do you have any actual proof of that or you just making stuff up as you go along? Post a link or I'll assume you're full of it.

@MisterTim1962 said:

Wrong, any "screw-ups" caused by the eBay PWE is forgiven and removed from metrics. You sound like a worrywart

Nope, just not going to have my selling on eBay limited over a few $10 cards. You sound like the worst type of eBay seller, one who doesn't give a crap.

Must be why I'm a top rated seller.....

I may be full of it, but I thought I read that somewhere in the promo info.... I guess the question is does eBay consider the eBay PWE an eBay intermediated shipping program??

Thanks for everyone's comments so far. I bought EBAY's actual envelopes that they suggest for this service. I have also heard that it is best to use sticker labels. I will put 2 cards in top loaders in a team bag, so it shouldn't be thick. I believe 2 cards in top loaders is the MAX for this service. If buyers purchase 3+ cards I will just use a bubble wrap envelope with cardboard...etc. The tracking is really the only thing that worries me. No, it's not the fear of losing $6. It is the fear of this being a PITA. I will give it a shot. I will try to show a pic of the EBAY envelopes.

• @Mickey71 said:
    Thanks for everyone's comments so far. I bought EBAY's actual envelopes that they suggest for this service. I have also heard that it is best to use sticker labels. I will put 2 cards in top loaders in a team bag, so it shouldn't be thick. I believe 2 cards in top loaders is the MAX for this service. If buyers purchase 3+ cards I will just use a bubble wrap envelope with cardboard...etc. The tracking is really the only thing that worries me. No, it's not the fear of losing $6. It is the fear of this being a PITA. I will give it a shot. I will try to show a pic of the EBAY envelopes.

I use that ebay envelope for 10-20 orders and a standard envelope with a piece of cardboard and card saver for anything under 10. Had very few issues and received insurance where there was a complaint so far. way better system than just using a PWE with no clue if the item was delivered. In fairness, I had very few issues doing that before the ebay envelope program

edited December 13, 2021 3:11PM

@beachbumcollecting said:

@Mickey71 said:

I use that ebay envelope for 10-20 orders and a standard envelope with a piece of cardboard and card saver for anything under 10. Had very few issues and received insurance where there was a complaint so far. way better system than just using a PWE with no clue if the item was delivered. In fairness, I had very few issues doing that before the ebay envelope program

Beachbum,

Do the one's when you use the EBAY envelope I pictured get tracked ?? Thanks.

@ldferg said:
    As far as envelopes, I use the sturdy CD mailers.

I may have just received a card from you! That or someone stole your CD mailer idea (which I may steal for myself) what is your seller name on eBay?

• msubearfanmsubearfan Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

I’ve sent hundreds of cards using this method and had 3 instances where I had to refund buyer for the card not showing up. These where shortly after the service was introduced and I haven’t had any recent issues. After 30 days you can file a claim which I did for each of these. I was reimbursed for the full sale price within a few days. 2 of those cards eventually showed up and the buyer received a free card.

• @Mickey71 said:

@beachbumcollecting said:

@Mickey71 said:

Beachbum,

Do the one's when you use the EBAY envelope I pictured get tracked ?? Thanks.

Normally they do. I did have one instance where it didn’t get any scans but overall I have used that pictures envelope about 50 times in the last few months and the other times it was tracked.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I've shipped over 800 cards this way since the PWE program started and I absolutely love it. I've had about five total buyers tell me their card never showed up, and none were for more than a $6 card, so I gladly refunded their money. Maybe this program's only drawback is about 10% of the envelopes don't get scanned when the postal carrier delivers it, so it appears to be "in limbo". Keen buyers could easily take advantage of an un-scanned delivery and say they never received it and get a refund, but if you're a buyer doing that garbage for a $6 card then you have bigger personal problems than I care to think about. Out of all of my cards shipped this way, I have ZERO negative feedbacks.

My method of shipping is pretty simple and efficient, in my opinion. I purchased a Dymo LabelWriter 450 label printer, and use Dymo 99019 labels (2-5/16" x 7-1/2"). I use standard #6-3/4 security self-sealing envelopes. For the card itself I use a penny sleeve, rigid top loader, and place it inside a team bag. I fold and secure a 5" x 8" index card around the card for added rigidity to the envelope. When preparing the label, I save it as a PDF and print it from Adobe so it maximizes the address area of the label. I can do all of this in under a minute.

I only charge $1 for shipping (flat rate), so if someone buys multiple cards I just eat the cost and ship it in a bubble mailer for First Class. I purchase the 1 ounce 53-cent option for standard thickness cards, and 2 (73-cent) or 3 (93-cent) ounces for thicker jersey cards. I know the USPS limits PWE to 1/4" but if the card is thicker than 1/8" I don't even offer the PWE option. Also, even though the PWE program limits this option to cards under $20, if I sell a card for more than $15 I'll ship it First Class anyway, for my own protection.

I love this shipping option because it allows me to list so many cards that would have otherwise been sitting in a box because they weren't worth the price of shipping.