Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Would you Include this Specimen in Your Certified Spanish Colonial Type Set?

AngryDragonAngryDragon Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
edited December 10, 2021 8:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

This Mexican 1782Mo-FF 1R Charles III Portrait KM78.2 is quite attractive to the naked eye. Unfortunately it has mechanical damage (scratches) between some devices, the crown in particular, which are undetectable even at 5X magnification.

Do you pass and wait for a straight graded coin to surface or grab it despite the impairment?

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2021 4:45AM

I would get a straight graded example. They are not too difficult to find, especially if you're looking for a type and don't care about the date.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait for a problem free coin. Don't make someone else's problem your problem.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the price and the rest of the collection.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2021 6:51PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I would get a straight graded example. They are too difficult to find, especially if you're looking for a type and don't care about the date.

Did you mean to say "they are not too difficult to find"?

As far as finding straight examples, it's not extremely difficult but I wouldn't call it easy either.

PCGS has a total of 44 Charles III - 1 Real's straight graded across all 6 colonies.
    Of the 44 only 6 are in mint state.

PCGS Census info shows 25 from Mexico (5 in MS), 9 from Peru (1 in MS), 3 from Colombia, zero from Chile & Guatemala

NGC has a total of 130 Charles III - 1 Real's straight graded across all 6 colonies.
    Of the 130 only 8 are in mint state.

NGC Census info shows 74 from Mexico (7 in MS), 26 from Bolivia, 16 from Peru, 9 from Colombia, 5 from Guatemala (1 in MS), zero from Chile

Total for both TPG census counts is 174 with 14 in mint state condition.
    Of the 174 straight graded coins combined across both TPG's the vast majority fall within the VF range.

census counts are known to not be 100% accurate and of course there exists an unknown number of uncertified examples in various degrees of preservation.

I think the numbers reflected above easily allow a collector to estimate the ease or difficulty of acquiring a straight graded example depending upon the grade level desired.

@AngryDragon My feeling is, it depends.
    If the example you seek is to be part of an ungraded type set, and the piece is reasonably priced, then I don't think there is really any issue buying it, as the coin you've shown could be considered attractive as is.

I think its fairly safe to say that, over time, the straight graded coin will appreciate greater in value over an example such as this. Another advantage of a straight graded example is you could add it to a registry set if you so desired, which I know you currently have a Pillar coin denomination set, so perhaps, at some point, a Charles the III denomination set might be in your future.

• AngryDragonAngryDragon Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Depends on the price and the rest of the collection.

point taken. thanks

• EddiEddi Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see Santiago Mint 1 and 1/2 real coins minted under Carlos III in anything approaching EF grades (or better). Extremely difficult to find.....

• RSPRSP Posts: 64 ✭✭

I recommend very strongly that you have patience and wait for a better opportunity. If you have to ask the question then you have your doubts. Over time the doubts will only grow stronger.
    RSP

• AngryDragonAngryDragon Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

MS62

The wait is finally over.

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngryDragon said:
    MS62

You did well beautiful coin!!!

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

@AngryDragon said:

Congratulations!
    I almost bid on that one myself, I tracked it and watched it as it hit the block.
    I'd love to see the coins you have in the type set

edited March 31, 2023 4:28PM

I picked up two others since the original post date. 

XF45 (Top for this date)

AU58