Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Does anyone have any knowledge or own any 1972 Comspec basketball cards?

I recently found out these cards exist and I am a big Pete Maravich collector. I searched for some info about the set and didn't get many results. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Maravich at one point was considered one the top basketball cards from the 70s for rarity and condition sensitivity. The paper is flimsy, the white fades and stains terribly and all of this takes a back seat to even finding one. Plan on spending big money on one of the graded examples, but I don't know how many of those even exist...can't be too many! Good luck. I hope you find one! :)

• Options

Thanks for the info! I found one on Ebay for 7k. Not happening but a boy can dream

• Options

Excuse me 12k Lol

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is some standard info. from PSA.

The 1972 Comspec basketball set consists of 36 cards measuring 2-1/4” by 3-1/2” and the cards are printed on very thin paper stock. Each card front shows a player, posed, against a colored (blue, green, orange, pink, red and yellow) background, surrounded by a white border. At the bottom of each card is a white border, approximately 1/3 of the card’s height that displays the player’s team, boldly printed in black, and his name and position below that in a smaller font. The Chet Walker card possesses the only in-action game image example of the set. Each plain white back, printed horizontally shows the player’s name and position followed by his personal information and a block of his career statistics. At the bottom, printed in black, are “A Product of Comspec, Inc.” and the company’s address as well as the 1973 NPBA copyright. Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain, John Havlicek, Pete Maravich, Oscar Robertson and Jerry West anchor this unnumbered set.

• Options
    Scarlem21Scarlem21 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

The hardest Maravich card for me to find years ago when I wanted to complete my Maravich registry set. Actually, the card found me! Posted want ads on a bunch of forums at the time when someone in Louisiana found one of my posts !
    googling information about some cards he found (the Comspec Maravich being one of them!) He ended up joining a forum just so he could contact me to make a sale, that's how I ended up with mine. Sent it to PSA at the time and came back a 3. Good luck in the hunt, extremely tough to find one today at an affordable price. Here's mine...

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Scarlem21 said:
    The hardest Maravich card for me to find years ago when I wanted to complete my Maravich registry set. Actually, the card found me! Posted want ads on a bunch of forums at the time when someone in Louisiana found one of my posts !
    googling information about some cards he found (the Comspec Maravich being one of them!) He ended up joining a forum just so he could contact me to make a sale, that's how I ended up with mine. Sent it to PSA at the time and came back a 3. Good luck in the hunt, extremely tough to find one today at an affordable price. Here's mine...

I love collection stories like this!! Congratulations on getting one!

• Options

I found my way here because I occasionally google Comspec to see if any pop up for sale randomly outside of eBay (no luck). If anyone has any or knows someone who has any contact me!

I currently have 12 of the 36.

Nobody really knows much about this set. Was not very widely distributed in Long Beach. Super condition sensitive because of the thin stock.