Home U.S. Coin Forum

1863 Civil War token?

anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone.
While attending the local coin show on Sunday I came across this Indian Head token in the foreign coin section of the box I was searching (my nephew is a WWII history buff & I was selecting 1940's era war issues from foreign countries for him for Christmas).

I purchased this coin for about $3 and can't seem to find anything about this specific token (is it a hard times token? was it issued in NYC?) If anyone has any good info about the coin or a direction you can point me, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks a lot.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a Civil War token from NY. John Gruber, F-630-×× (I'm not remembering the attribution off top of my head)
    A common token, but worth the enjoyment of research even in that condition. It may send you down a rabbit hole

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2021 7:18PM

Yours is one of the Indian Head types.
    In the photo comparison below, you can see it is
    I 2.1 Sigel's Indian Head
    with beaded headband and small stars.
    https://www.cwtoken.com/Civil_War_Token_Type_Set/Cent_Facsimile/Pages/I_-_Indian_Head.html

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were two types of Civil War Tokens---patriotic tokens and merchant tokens. Your CWT is the second type.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for the responses!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Great pick up for just Three Bucks!

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

John Gruber was likely an attorney as suggested by the balance of "Justice".

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

beware the rabbit hole !!!! as mentioned by @DCW ... great find and only $3 !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    John Gruber was likely an attorney as suggested by the balance of "Justice".

John Gruber was not an attorney as suggested by the "Balance Of Justice" nor was he a druggist as suggested by the apothecary scale. In fact, he was a manufacturer of scales, weights, pumps and other measuring devices.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the informative site.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file