Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need advice from the group on an eBay return request

Haven’t posted in a while, but could use some help.

I sold a card three weeks ago for several hundred dollars. The purchaser requested a return saying the item wasn’t as described. I had pictures and it was a graded card. He is stating the card rattles in the holder and believes that is grounds for a refund. Note the card has dropped about 30% since the sale.

This is clearly a case of buyers remorse. Anyone go through something similar or have advice on how to proceed?

Comments

• Options

That’s lame but I think eBay basically force’s returns these days

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Update; after discussion, the buyer wanted to keep the card. I agreed to pay $45 for re-holder and shipping. Not ideal for me as I have no control over how PSA slabs the cards. I’ll take a small lump and move on. Good luck to all those with similar situations.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

I was under the impression that eBay has tightened up the window from when a buyer can force a return. I thought that the limit could be as short as two weeks.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

It's still gonna rattle after a reholder.. But I guess still better off than losing 30% on a resale, though I bet eBay would have rejected the return if you explained why it rattles and that almost all PSA slabs rattle if you shake it, which you should not do.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

90% of cards move within the holder. Is the buyer really that clueless or is there more to it?

• Options

It's not that uncommon, eBay basically forces you to take the return. People fish for getting a discount or price crashes. I believe they changed it to 3 days from delivery for them to get a claim though.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

There are too many clowns on ebay who fish for partial refunds or return cards when the price goes down. If its a legit claim, usually, you will hear about it the day it is delivered and the reason is also understandable. Three weeks and a "the card moves" is not reasonable at all. While ebay could eventually force a return, the window is now 3 days for a return on cards now. I would have told him sorry. Negs arent as detrimental as they used to be.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of July, buyers have only 3 days to request returns if the seller doesn't offer them.

https://www.sportscardinvestor.com/2021/06/21/ebay-changes-return-policy-for-trading-cards/

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I had this same issue with a buyer and he lied by saying the card was not as described but clearly my scans showed exactly the issues he pointed out that he said were not as described. He tried to extort me for a $50 discount because he had to regrade. It was a mess and Ebay ruled in his favor as expected.

What was the name of this buyer? He actions sound exactly like my buyer and I am willing to bet he may be the same person.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!