Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tom Brady card - Xmas idea for a friend - need advice

Hi, my friend is a very casual collector and his son LOVES Tom Brady. He asked me this evening to help him find a good Brady card to get son for Christmas - one that will hopefully mean something down the road to him. His son is 5-6 years old.

I know almost nothing about Brady football cards (except that the 2000 high-end RCs of him are absolutely insanely high). Does anyone have any suggestions?

He's looking in the $300 range but I could probably push him up to $500 if it's a good buy.

I'd love any suggestions. I'm thinking maybe a PSA graded auto card?

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Options

In that range I think autos are out but maybe a jersey or patch card is possible

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah.. No way u get an auto for that !

• Options

How about just a nice 2002 PSA topps Brady card? It’s his first Topps card and should be within that price range.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d see if the son is more of a Bucs or Pats fan then go look for a nice card for him of the team he prefers.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe im old school, but any card, regardless of real world value, would have more genuine value to me given being given as a gift more than anything else. for example, my aunt gave me a Howard Johnson signed ball back in the 80's when I was a Mets fan. HoJo is long done, no real value in his auto balls, but I won't sell it due to being a gift and having the sentimental value being worth more to me than the actual auto.

that being said, perhaps a topps refractor from before they lost their license or a PSA graded/authenticated auto would be fitting. however after a quick ebay scour, looks like anything cool or decent is WAY out of that range.

maybe a certified auto pic?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a good idea would be the 2002 pacific jersey card. should be able to find one in your price range, but the cool thing is that the jersey swatch came from a jersey worn his rookie season. there cant be too many rookie jerseys floating around, would be cool to have at least a little piece.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Thank you all, very helpful! I’ll update when my buddy decides!

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I think a good idea would be the 2002 pacific jersey card. should be able to find one in your price range, but the cool thing is that the jersey swatch came from a jersey worn his rookie season. there cant be too many rookie jerseys floating around, would be cool to have at least a little piece.

wow that's really cool actually, love that knowledge bomb!

remember the good ole days when game jersey cards were actually worn in a game, fascinating concept