Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Where is this coin from?

I looked all through the Krause Catalog and used every identifier I could think of. It's dated and monetized so I don't believe it's a Jeton. Anyone have any ideas please and thank you?

Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Austria 20 heller 1895.

Back then, when they were still part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Austria and Hungary issued separate coinages. This coin is from the Austrian half of the empire. They solved the "having multiple languages within the empire" problem by putting no language at all on the smaller denominations. You were supposed to be able to tell which country it was from by the shape of the crown (which is the very unusual and distinctive Austrian Imperial crown) and by the design on the shield of the coat of arms.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭

Thank you thank you one and all. I even looked at Austria thinking the same thing about the crown. I didn't see the tiny listing under "Reform Coinage". Looks like I have a high dollar piece here. Can't wait to get rich off this.

Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Coast Craig making an appearance on the world boards. Got any Barbers left? @USCGCraig

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Good to see another Coastie on here, but I'm all Canadian coinage