Home Q & A Forum

Vintage railroad watches? Anyone have any info?

I found this pretty cool pocket watch the other day while going thru the collectibles I inherited from my grandfather. Face is pretty busted up so not in the greatest condition but I was hoping someone could shed some light on it as I am thinking about sending it in to be fixed up. Not my area of expertise and itssurprisingly difficult finding specifics online, for me anyways lol. Any info on it or where I could find specific info on it would be greatly appreciated thanks all have a great night.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use the Google to find a pocket watch database to run the serial #. What's the face look like? Does it say Illinois? Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen a Rail road watch before. My father-in-law worked on the RR for a little while. I'll have to ask the wife if she ever saw one before.. Looks really nice. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2022 2:54PM

Unfortunatly if you look right below the regulator you will see the word "SWISS". This is not an American Rail Road pocket watch, but rather what they call a Swiss fake meant to look like an American RR watch. At this time American watches were of much better quality than Swiss watches. Some people collect Swiss fakes, but their not worth nearly as much as an American RR watch. Hope this helps.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• @Countrybounty said:
    I found this pretty cool pocket watch the other day while going thru the collectibles I inherited from my grandfather. Face is pretty busted up so not in the greatest condition but I was hoping someone could shed some light on it as I am thinking about sending it in to be fixed up. Not my area of expertise and itssurprisingly difficult finding specifics online, for me anyways lol. Any info on it or where I could find specific info on it would be greatly appreciated thanks all have a great night.

My grandfather also worked for the railroad out of Boston, And I also inherited a railroad pocket watch. It was in perfect condition and ran perfectly This is a Hamilton railroad special. Unfortunately mine is only 10k gold. But because of its condition and it was considered the finest American made pocket ever made . It is a model 992 with a monty dial showing seconds and minutes , 21 jewel 5 position spring loaded, and accurate to 3 minutex a year.

.![](https://us.v-

Look to see if yours is 14k then youd at least have some gold value. Pocket watches havent held their value only certain rare ones have this watch used to be worth over $1000.00. Now its selling for around 5 to 600.