Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bigger ROI of a PSA 10 base card vs PSA 9 higher end?

McNeelyMcNeely Posts: 5
edited November 29, 2021 11:39AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

All,

I’m new to this forum, and I’m fairly new to collecting football cards. In researching how to invest, my take-away was that a PSA 9 of a higher end card (e.g. Topps Chrome or Donruss Optic) would have a higher return on investment (ROI) than a PSA 10 of the base set (Topps or Donruss).

However, I think I learned the hard way that PSA 10 of the base set has a better ROI. A couple of weeks ago, two Rob Gronkowski rookies (a PSA 10 Topps and a PSA 9 Topps Chrome) were selling on eBay for the same price ($125). I bought the PSA 9 Chrome. This week, I checked eBay. A PSA 9 Chrome is still selling for $125, while the PSA 10 Topps (base) is selling for $170.

So, my question is, is it always more advisable to buy a PSA 10 of a base brand vs. a PSA 9 of a higher end of that brand? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. There is always a supply and demand curve and the ROI will be different for each card. For that matter, there is no guarantee that the ROI of a 9 will be higher than the ROI of the same card in 3.

A few things you didn't ask: how cards fluctuate over "a couple of weeks" says nothing about the long term trend for the card. Anyone can ask anything on eBay. Someone asking $170 may only be able to sell for $125. The best ROI is to buy a low grade card with excellent eye appeal based on the technical grade. For example a 1953 Bowman Mantle with an exceptionally well-placed pinhole. If you can pay 1 money for a card in a 1 holder that looks like a 9 you mat be able to get 5 or 6 money when you go to sell.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

no. I will always go for true rarity over conditional rarity. for a few reasons:

true pops will never be known
    we will never know how many base cards were printed. but we do know there are lots
    we don't know how many graded cards have been trimmed/altered
    until the final pack of a year has been opened, there is always a chance the pop will go up.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

No. It will always be about demand. Take Gronkowski's quarterback--- Tom Brady. Bowman vs Bowman Chrome. Twice as many Bowman Chrome PSA 10 vs regular Bowman. And more regular graded than the chrome. The demand is for the chrome card and would set you back twice as much dollar wise even though the regular is more difficult in high grade. I'd buy PSA 10's knowing that they would at least sell when you're ready to sell vs the PSA 9's.