Home Q & A Forum
Options

1982-S GW Commemorative Half Dollar

PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I'm new to collecting. I have three of these and I'm adding them to my PCGS inventory. The "add" tool list a PR, PR-Cam, and PR-DCAM. This made me realize I don't know the difference. The COA just says proof. Would it say CAM/DCAM if thats what I had? If not, can you tell by these photographs which I have? Is it easy to tell difference btween CAM/DCAM?

TIA

USAF veteran 1984-2005

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭

Unless they are PCGS graded, it makes no sense to call them 'PCGS inventory'. If they were PCGS graded, it would be clearly indicated on the slab whether CAM, DCAM, etc. Otherwise, the CAM/DCAM (or not) attributes largely depends on opinion of the viewer (e.g., buyer or seller). Welcome to the forums - many very knowledgeable people here :)

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly likely all are DCAM. Take a look at the PCGS pop report. PCGS has graded just three examples with the PR designation. Only two coins designated PR CAM. in DCAM, PCGS has graded 20,007 coins. From your two images, I can't see those being anything but DCAM. Here is a snip of the pop report --

I would add the three raw coins under PCGS coin number 9601. The highest percentage are PR69 DCAM.

Jeff

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@JimW said:
    Unless they are PCGS graded, it makes no sense to call them 'PCGS inventory'. If they were PCGS graded, it would be clearly indicated on the slab whether CAM, DCAM, etc. Otherwise, the CAM/DCAM (or not) attributes largely depends on opinion of the viewer (e.g., buyer or seller). Welcome to the forums - many very knowledgeable people here :)

I guess I should have said using the PCGS inventory tool to add other-than PCGS graded items. It's a nice feature and one reason I've picked PCGS over the other guys. So DCAM/CAM is determined by a grader. Although PR69 is a good bet, I don't think the coin has the "it" factor for grading. Maybe someday. Thanx for the response. > @cecropiamoth said:

Highly likely all are DCAM. Take a look at the PCGS pop report. PCGS has graded just three examples with the PR designation. Only two coins designated PR CAM. in DCAM, PCGS has graded 20,007 coins. From your two images, I can't see those being anything but DCAM. Here is a snip of the pop report --

I would add the three raw coins under PCGS coin number 9601. The highest percentage are PR69 DCAM.

Jeff

Great input. I didn't think to use the population report as a guide and hint as to what I may have. Makes sense. Thanx

USAF veteran 1984-2005