Home Sports Talk

A question about NFL Defensive Backs??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

When did the change take place that tells DB's never to look back at the QB when they're running downfield??

I can't count how many times DB's are trailing a receiver downfield and all they need to do is turn their head for an easy pick or to knock down a pass, but it happens time after time and game after game. It didn't always used to be that way, so it's a Coaching thing. Also, when watching games we constantly hear the commentators make reference to this and yet there's no DB's in the NFL who will ever, ever look back. How often do we see them hit with the ball or watch the receiver actually reach over them to try for a catch??

Just an observation.

Al H.

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is very frustrating to watch. Turn your head! Turn your head! I watched helplessly as this decided the Cowboys game in overtime. All Anthony Brown had to do was turn his head and it would have been easily a pass defended if not a pick. I had a coach in high school who promoted turning the head to the db's. The rule he taught was watch the receivers eyes and that would indicate when to turn. But that was many many moons ago (mid 80's)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I know, there is a lot going on here. It does bring up some interesting thoughts in my opinion. Penalties are called based on whether or not the DB has turned. But at the same time, turning your head can slow you down. @LandrysFedora anecdote about his coach talking about watching the receiver's eyes is an interesting one. I have heard receivers talk about using their eyes to fool DBs.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

IMHO, I think the three hardest jobs in football would be QB, DB, OL (in that order)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    IMHO, I think the three hardest jobs in football would be QB, DB, OL (in that order)

The three most important positions are often cited as QB, OL, and DB in that order. So that lends credence to what you are saying. Defensive end that can rush the passer will alo appear on the list as 3 or 4.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that turning your head will slow you down, but at least get those hands up when you see the receiver getting ready to catch the ball

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think about it for a second. If the DB looks for the ball, in that instant a good receiver is somewhere else. Receiver looks like he is running a flag on a safety, but ball is coming inside. DB wouldn't probably even be able to find the midair ball and receiver plants and cuts inside. TD.
    Very few DB can play both the man and the ball.

Have a nice day
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think about it for a second. If the DB looks for the ball, in that instant a good receiver is somewhere else.

the set of events in the OP tends to be pertinent when a receiver is running down the sideline 20-30 yards, what we used to call a "fly" pattern. it's obvious where he's going and where the ball is being thrown. at almost all other times the receiver in between the QB and the DB guarding him, so that DB is looking at the QB already.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 11:07PM

@VikingDude said:

agree. i do not envy a d-back's job whatsoever. think about it. on every snap, you must glue yourself to one of the opposition's fastest guys, not having any clue where he's going. on top of that, you've gotta be able to see what the QB is doing with the football. hell, is it even a pass? you almost have to have 3 sets of eyes to perform your job capably. not to mention walking the plank every time you lay a finger on the guy after 5 yards. now do that on every play, and do it for a team that can't generate a pass rush. unless i possess the acceleration and turning speed of a cheetah, no thank you very much.

edit: and as for guys not turning around to locate the football, yeah, that's because they're concerned about the gazelle they're trying to keep up with and worrying about him turning on a dime the moment they rotate their head. that's when laundry starts flying thru the air -- because the d-back feels the need to latch onto the receiver to make sure he is still in the vicinity when their eyes go elsewhere.

you could not pay me enough to play that position

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without going into detail,.......IMHO whatever is going on overall with regards to defensive backs in the league, it's making a mockery of the game on several levels. At this point just throw a 50 yard pass on every play and the odds are good. Completion, defensive interference, or no catch. Good odds.

edited November 30, 2021 10:42AM

@galaxy27 said:

@VikingDude said:

you could not pay me enough to play that position

I agree. It's brutal. Watching it at the game is even worse than seeing it on TV. I don't know how they survive. I was talking to my secret inside source about the punishment the defensive backs endure. His response, "They can't pick up their kids." "You mean after school?" , I said. His answer," No, I mean they can't pick up their kids. It's too painful. "

most all the rule changes during the past _________________(pick a time period) have been to help the offense and increase scoring. sure, many of the rules have been changed under the guise of preventing injuries/concussion, but there is no balance taken overall on the game, just what seems to be an advantage to the offense.
    --- a QB can't be hit low and his head/shoulders can't even be brushed accidentally, yet he is allowed to "intentionally ground" the ball as long as he meets certain criteria.
    --- a receiver can catch a pass wherever/however he chooses, but the Officials get to decide if he's allowed to be tackled and how hard he can be hit("defenseless").
    --- DB's can barely touch a receiver without risking a penalty(because the call is at the Officials discretion), yet receivers push off, fight with their hands and pull DB's with almost no risk of PI.
    --- with all the "targeting" calls, DB's risk injury to themselves to avoid any helmet contact while tackling.

while all this is going on, a Defensive Back is the last line answer on almost every play to stopping a TD, trying to stop runners going at close to full speed and outweighing them by 30-40 pounds.

good luck!!

edited November 30, 2021 3:39PM

@keets said:
    most all the rule changes during the past _________________(pick a time period) have been to help the offense and increase scoring............

1967+. Jan Stenerud. Kansas City Chiefs. The Reason For The Season. That's when and he's why the game changed......BIG TIME!

edited November 30, 2021 3:53PM

To add;...Bradshaw and Stabler were throw backs during their era. Still playing the old style.... With success. Staubach , and Tarkenton were the forerunners of the new style of the game that we watch today. It was the transitional period of the game.
    Joe Montana was the last tough guy QB. Joe Theismann?....But....Montana took every advantage of the new rules and combined it with toughness....he was one of the greats......never going to see the likes of a QB like him again.....EVER.

John Elway helped usher in the current era in a style quite similar to Montana.

@keets said:
    John Elway helped usher in the current era in a style quite similar to Montana.

Yes. I didn't think of him. You're correct.

edited November 30, 2021 6:50PM

Speaking of Elway.....The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant and I just happened to be in Denver one Sunday morning many years ago. The Broncos were at home. Of COURSE she wanted to go to the game. We did go. Trip delayed. You can't say no to her. She likes football. I don't remember all the details but late in the 4th quarter the Broncos were at least 2 touchdowns behind. Elway won the game! Most UNBELIEVABLE quarterbacking I ever saw! He was good......And.....the view of the Rocky Mountains was also awesome as we got a late start into Nebraska. I remember both. Don't know which was better........the game or the scenery!!!!!!