Home Sports Talk
Options

The Boys of Summer

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 6, 2021 8:07PM in Sports Talk

I just now found out that Jay Johnstone recently passed. It makes me very sad. .......Remember when you were a kid and the guys would get a pickup game going at the school yard? Well, he did the same thing on weekends during the off season. It's actually the BEST and most FUN baseball I've ever been around. Anyway Jay Johnstone was one of them. He was always ready and happy to play catch with the boys.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear you, I remember my days as a youth, playing pickup games of baseball with my friends in our neighborhood. Times were so innocent back in those days, now life is full of responsibility and I often wish I could go back to those days and just live them again. Back then I didn't know to appreciate those moments, you don't realize how special they were until you get older.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good example of what you're talking about is the movie "The Sandlot", when Benny "the jet" Rodriguez makes it to the major leagues, and at the end of the movie he steals home and gives a thumbs up to his childhood friend Scotty Smalls who has become a broadcaster. I thought that scene really showed you that he was still just a kid inside playing the game he loved as a youth.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2021 9:39AM

Good memories.