Home Sports Talk

Does Anybody Here Own A Brockabrella?

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't think so.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I googled the term. An umbrella hat, huh....No, but I honestly would think that they would be more popular than they are. Perhaps in a place very rainy. I've never noticed them being sold anywhere. Certainly there are many practical uses.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I googled the term. An umbrella hat, huh....No, but I honestly would think that they would be more popular than they are. Perhaps in a place very rainy. I've never noticed them being sold anywhere. Certainly there are many practical uses.

I think they were more for protection from the sun than rain. They were seen in the late 70s/early 80s. The Cubs actually had a stadium giveaway, and Johnstone was famously captured goofing around with one on this card.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real question is, does anybody here own a beardo? I didn't think so.

Does anybody here own a pair of bread gloves, I didn't think so.

Does any man here have the guts to wear daisy dukes and cowboy boots to wal-mart every Saturday like I do? I seriously doubt it.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually have an umbrella hat.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 10:01AM

@countdouglas said:

@thisistheshow said:

I think they were more for protection from the sun than rain. They were seen in the late 70s/early 80s. The Cubs actually had a stadium giveaway, and Johnstone was famously captured goofing around with one on this card.

When Jay Johnstone was a rookie(?) with the Angels, he lived in an apartment building not far the school I went to. Some of the boys found out about it and we would go see him. He was a very, very nice young man and he would play ball with the kids. He had a great sense of humor and a wonderful personality. I just looked him up. He died last September 26. .Sad.......time goes by so fast. I'm bummed out right now.😢

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to take this moment to point out something I find amazing. Anyone reading this is of course open to interpret it any way they want.

@hydrant started this thread. And he did so with a joke about @doubledragon being the inspiration for it. @countdouglas posted the Jay Johnstone card. Then @hydrant had that great memory he shared with us that also brought him some sadness when he looked up Johnstone and learned of his death.

There are many important things in life that we might take for granted. One is this community here and all of the positive ramifications that it brings.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got an autograph from Lou Brock as a kid at the Sears store in Pontiac, MI circa 1980. I would've been 8. Lou was there hawking the Brockabrella.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knew I had a pic floating around. Got a box of these for a party a long while ago, still have 1 left.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do. Never wear it though as it was a Christmas gift from the wifey for hiking our huskies. It was a one size fits all, but I have a shrek head and didn't fit.

@doubledragon said:
    The real question is, does anybody here own a beardo? I didn't think so.

I do. Never wear it though as it was a Christmas gift from the wifey for hiking our huskies. It was a one size fits all, but I have a shrek head and didn't fit.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.