Home Sports Talk
Options

I like watching sports. Football is my favorite sport to watch, but I only watch the NFL. CMV

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2021 1:43PM in Sports Talk

The title of this thread is written as you would find it on Reddit. CMV is change my view. .

I'm starting this thread for the purpose of possibly stimulating some interesting discussion, or at the least some discussion. Your mileage may vary.

Football is definitely my favorite sport to watch. NFL specifically. That wasn't always the case. Basketball, both NBA and NCAA, was given lots of my sports watching time. I would also frequently watch other ball-sports (as the legendary RickO would say). Today, I still do watch other sports. I'll catch some of the last round of a Major maybe. I'll watch NBA or MLB important games/playoffs. I'll watch assorted highlights of any sport. But the overwhelming majority of my sports watching is NFL football. It's been over two decades since I woke up on a Saturday and even had the remotest concern regarding the college football landscape.

I got married and started my family in 2000. I sort of remember myself consciously making the intentional decision to only watch football one day out of the week instead of two. It wasn't hard. My early twenties were a time when my sports watching, for different reasons, had trickled down to almost nothing. In 2000 I was married, had just had my first kid, and lived in an apartment in the Bronx, NY. I worked some Saturdays, but almost never Sundays. I remember I started to watch the NFL again. I remember watching Drew Bledsoe get hurt vs the Jets. I had been back into watching the NFL weekly by that season at least. I never went back to following college football much beyond the sports section and now sports radio, internet, etc. I certainly have watched my share of highlights, special parts of games, followed along the careers of some guys. But I don't spend Saturdyas how I spend Sundays

What am I missing if anything? Should I start?

Edited to add: I even let the college threads here build up for weeks before opening them, and only do so in hopes to find OT amusement.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can sympathize with you about this, I watch some college football but it doesn't have the same feeling as watching the NFL, there's just something about NFL football. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy college football but it's not the NFL.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 3:07PM

I don't watch or follow any sport except the NFL. And....yes, I follow the Rams. Because they're the closest team to home. And I have season tickets. But, I couldn't name over 6 or 7 players on the Rams even though I go to all their games. It means nothing to me. I just don't care. Players come and go. I watch the game. I don't care who is on the field. Never have. Just give me a good game. Rams win.....Rams lose...who cares? It's just a game.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 5:58PM

Stafford, Kupp, Donald, Whitworth, Ramsey, Woods, Hekker, Higbee (he's good), and that's about it.

The Rams tight end, Higbee, is a very, very good ballplayer. Overlooked, not a BIG NAME. As good or better than ANY offensive tight end in the league. Take my word. That boy is good. He plays his part and gets the job done. Excellent ballplayer.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just give me a good game.

this is sort of how I feel when I watch a Browns game, although it aggravates the piss out of me when they play really stupid, especially with penalties and the play calling. for the amount of money the pro's are paid and the cost of everything involved, the fans deserve a competent, well played game. watching what I see on TV, I could never justify going to a game, not even if the tickets were given to me.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I quit watching NFL several years ago. Just not as interesting. Feels like arena football with all the rule changes. College is way more exciting.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21