Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Got scammed on here, be careful!

I recently got scammed from someone on this forum. They messaged me saying they had coins for sale and ended up showing me coins from ebay. Have them show you a video of the coin or something personalized with the photo or only buy with someone you have purchased from before and trust. Please be careful out there!

Comments

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

The common scam is someone sending you a PM telling you they know someone who has an item you want and giving you an email address to contact that person.

Did that happen to you?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moniker and name please.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Moniker and name please.

Let us know who it was that tried to scam you. If you don't want to say here, please PM me their name. Thanks.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

He probably got scammed by someone with single digit posts. When both parties posts add up to less than 25 there is going to be trouble.

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    The common scam is someone sending you a PM telling you they know someone who has an item you want and giving you an email address to contact that person.

Did that happen to you?

Exactly what happened. The user name is JG01 (has been banned already), aka philipeshasta@gmail.com, aka antoniofisher310@gmail.com, aka Ciciliamogere22@gmail.com

And based on the zelle screenshots he sent me saying he never received payment, they scam a BUNCH of people everyday.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@duder2 said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Did that happen to you?

Exactly what happened. The user name is JG01 (has been banned already), aka philipeshasta@gmail.com, aka antoniofisher310@gmail.com, aka Ciciliamogere22@gmail.com

And based on the zelle screenshots he sent me saying he never received payment, they scam a BUNCH of people everyday.

Sorry to hear you got scammed but thank you for the information so others will learn. 😎

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for he info..

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

PPFF and Zelle, you're sending cash to friends or family. If they're not friends of family, don't send it that way. There'll always be a deal down the road from a reputable seller. Just be a little patient.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    jimineez1jimineez1 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this, thanks for sharing

Almost Over 100 successful deals on this forum spanning well over 10 years now, feel free to ask for references!
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Collectorcoins said:
    many members have been here for years. before you deal with an unestablished member ask around on here has anyone dealt with them before.

What is your determination for "unestablished'?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it is a new forum member without an established record of buy/sell?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy How many buy/sell/trade transaction does a member need to do. I believe this is not something that other members have open access to. Is it the # of posts/badges/points?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would you want to deem someone as established?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 6:25PM

I am not sure there is a set number. Sort of like hackers, your reputation is determined by your interactions and exploits. In this case, successful transactions build up your rep via feedback by those you do business with on the boards. I am sure longevity and post count play a role but the proof is in your transaction history and feedback. IMHO. Also if you have one of the coin Grey beards here to vouch that also goes a long way.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

@Collectorcoins said:
    many members have been here for years. before you deal with an unestablished member ask around on here has anyone dealt with them before.

What is your determination for "unestablished'?

I would consider someone who is fairly new here or with a low participation rate to be "unestablished". It's a personal judgement call. I might buy an inexpensive coin from you but I would require that a four figure coin to be shipped first with payment to follow once the coin is received or there would be no deal.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Collectorcoins said:

irrelevant to the MO of the scammer identified by the OP. Scammer is sending victims to a third party, off site email address that obviously is the scammer himself. Transaction ends up not being conducted through the BST. Scammer is simply using the BST to find victims to scam through email.

This has become an issue on the BST and the recurring similar scams are likely all from the same crook.

Would be wise for our host to put a sticky at the top of the BST warning of such scams. While they can block him once identified, it is obvious he continues to come back with new IDs and succeeds in finding new victims.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it when we all stick to the honor system.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions