Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should PCGS have a Registry Set for every Pop Report Category or How to create a Registry Set?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you compare the coin categories in the PCGS Population Report and Set Registry for Medals and Tokens, there's wide divergence:

For example, there's a general category for "So-Called Dollars" in the Pop Report but the Set Registry has 4 different sets:

• Bryan So-Called Silver Dollars, Circulation Strikes (1896,1900)
  • Lesher So-Called Silver Dollars, Circulation Strikes (1900-1901)
  • Pedley-Ryan So-Called Silver Dollars, Circulation Strikes (1933)
  • Colorado's "Century of Progress" So-Called Silver Dollars, Circulation Strikes (1933)

To bring them closer in alignment, should there be a general So-Called Dollars set, which would be admittedly hard to complete, but fun to work on?

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great idea that I think would benefit the future of numismatics, but it would take a significant initial cost and employee effort on the part of PCGS Registry to attempt it. However, I believe once actually done, there might be enough submissions of special issues to justify it as a profitable endeavor, as there are a lot of so-called dollar collectors and maybe more in the future.

When BJ Searles and PCGS created the Registry set of the US Mint National Commemorative Medals based on John T. Dean's reference book to cover some of the medals struck after the original commemorative series ended, it was a start to get more medals into the spotlight they deserve. It is a very valuable set that helped to document some of these exceptionally rare medals from being lost to history.

I took up that challenge and have sent in literally hundreds of those US Mint medals to get the finest graded and documented into TrueView photos that I can find. I did this because so many of these have never even been seen by most collector,s and I felt John's book deserved some serious follow-up.

Jeff Shevlin, John T. Dean and dozens of others have put forth the additional effort to add to the massive HK reference of so-called dollars at this website.

https://so-calleddollars.com/index.html

In my opinion, a so-called dollar set should be established, for the 917 different items in this reference, and use this site as the source for documentation of the numbers assigned. There are hundreds of varieties and subset categories, a, b, c, etc, that maybe at first, should just get included into the main HK number, as this is a very dynamic set as research is always finding new discoveries.

Anyway, my vote is yes, there should be a set. Maybe if more articles were written about these, and other partial sets that include some of the so-called dollars, there would be more interest to undertake the task of making a registry set of them all.