Home Sports Talk
Options

Browns locker room turning on Baker Mayfield because of OBJ

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Skip Bayless said that he has a source that said the Browns locker room is close to turning on Baker Mayfield because of OBJ.

Report: Locker Room ‘Very Close’ To Turning On Baker Mayfield

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield continues to be headline news.

It has been this way for weeks since the Odell Beckham Jr. mess unfolded.

After that, we saw Mayfield handle himself very well with the press and hoped the issue was behind the Browns.

That does not look to be the case.

Skip Bayless of Fox Sports shared news from a source close to the Browns organization that indicates that there is trouble in the locker room in Cleveland.

What Bayless Reported:

A source tells @RealSkipBayless: The Browns locker room is very close to turning on Baker Mayfield because of Odell Beckham Jr.

Bayless indicated that his source says the locker room is close to turning on Baker Mayfield.

The issue is not from his recent below standard play.

It stems back to Odell Beckham Jr. leaving the team.

Bayless describes a Browns locker room that had OBJ on a pedestal despite the fact that his statistics did not merit it.

OBJ has a strong social media following and presence that the young players look up to.

When OBJ got out of Cleveland, those players were frustrated.

What Bayless Believes:

He thinks that Mayfield tried to make things work with OBJ to a fault.

Mayfield force fed the ball to OBJ, and things just didn’t click.

He also infers that the moment Beckham arrived in Cleveland from New York was the beginning of Mayfield’s undoing.

Mayfield’s Future:

This is the big question mark for the Browns organization, fans, and Mayfield himself.

Bayless is speculating that Mayfield needs a fresh start in a different city to jump start his career.

The Browns Locker Room:

It is not hard to believe that OBJ’s departure and the ups and downs of this season are taking a toll on the Browns locker room.

The locker room is comprised of younger players in the early stages of their careers so without the veteran experience, they are likely more frustrated especially if they were a part of the 2020 Browns team when wins seemed to come so much more easily.

The unfortunate piece of this is if it’s true, it does not bode well for the Browns’ postseason chances in 2021.

They are still in the thick of the playoff chase with two huge games against the Baltimore Ravens over the next three Sundays.

These distractions cannot be helpful.

The best remedy for the distractions is winning, but at this point, it is unclear if the Browns can pull it together, block everything else out, and focus on the football.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 23, 2021 5:40PM

Some players are also supposedly upset because Baker's wife took to Instagram and shared a post telling Baker's teammates to toughen up.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2021 5:54PM

Things are getting messy in Cleveland, the Browns fans booed Baker Mayfield this past weekend and here's what he said about it:

"Those are probably the same fans who won't be quiet on offense when we're trying to operate,” Mayfield said. ... “So don't really care.”

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my first thought is that social media will be the downfall of Society. you may not have heard it here first, but at least now you've heard it. my second thought is that OBJ just won't go away, his memory is "reaching out from the grave" to cause problems.

I can't share my third thought here.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    my first thought is that social media will be the downfall of Society.

FLASH!!!! It's already happened!!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I thought maybe, just maybe that the Browns could stop being the Browns. You know..... win some games for a change. WRONG AGAIN!!!

• Options

too many injuries this season and not enough players to fill in. injuries are a part of the game, but it's been overwhelming at times and for crucial games. there was actually a point earlier in the season when Cleveland was without both starting Tackles, both RB's(Chubb and Hunt) OBJ/Jarvis Landry at WR and I think 2-3 starting DB's. it got to a point where it was hard to overcome. add to that the injuries to Mayfield and it's an ugly training room.

I have said for a long time that the Teams that usually win it are the ones who make it through the season with the least injuries to key players. right now The Browns are actually healthier than they've been since the first 2-3 games. I think Kareem Hunt may play this Sunday, that would be nice.

I'm not making excuses for the Browns, each Team has to play with the hand they're dealt and the players they have available. Cleveland is by design a run first Team, screens and passes to the TE's and shots downfield off play-action. when they have the players to do that they are pretty good, without them they may be below average/average at best. all that aside, they commit way too many penalties and kill some nice drives and big plays in the making. that's on the HC to stop, just sloppy and poor discipline.

part of what Mayfield said is true, the fans need to STFU when the offense has the ball, not cheer their nuts off, right??

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2021 3:44AM

It’s not just social media it’s the media itself, 85% of it is pure lies and nonsense to spread an agenda.

I could go on but I would get banned if I stated my true feelings on that so I will leave it at that.

With the Browns preseason hype and failure to live up to the expectations is one thing but literally you can’t turn the tv on without a Baker Mayfield commercial, there are so many better QB’s out there than Mayfield yet he is on tv just as much as Mahomes and Rodgers? And it’s not just Baker himself, it’s his wife as well. Add in the poor play and I can see why people are riding this guy not to mention I’m sure his teammates are sick of it as well.

OBJ was a gamble the Browns took and they lost big time on it. I understand it but it was a risk.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2021 4:26AM

Aside from all the talk apparently he is legit injured and toughing it out is not helping his cause but having an adverse effect on everything.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/11/23/cleveland-browns-case-keenum/amp/

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Aside from all the talk apparently he is legit injured and toughing it out is not helping his cause but having an adverse effect on everything.

I actually like Mayfield and believe he is a winner at heart, but he needs to shut it down right now. Toughing it out is just not working.

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@perkdog said:

I actually like Mayfield and believe he is a winner at heart, but he needs to shut it down right now. Toughing it out is just not working.

I like him honestly, I think he has great leadership skills and really is a team guy.

The negative on him is I just simply don’t think he is as good as other top tier QB’s in the league. And as far as him playing through this injury, I don’t think he is helping the team and I have a hard time believing that some of the motivation isn't just for a new long term deal either

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

i dont think anyone can question bakers toughness

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2021 6:05AM

did anyone see the graphic they put up on the screen during The Browns/Lions game?? it was an image of Mayfield and listed his circled injuries: left shoulder, right knee, left knee, left foot.

it immediately made me think of that year when Ben Roethlisberger was bloodied and hobbling. he had some sort of boot on one foot, I think a cast on his left wrist and the head/face area was all banged up. although I have hated the way Big Ben has beaten up on Cleveland, he's the ultimate super-trooper QB. he strikes me as having been yanked from the past, could have played in the 1950's when helmets didn't have a face mask. he's a tough guy.

personally, I thought Mayfield should have sat and had the shoulder surgery when the injury first happened and Anthony Schwartz should have been shit-canned.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s video proof of exactly when Baker’s teammates started turning on him.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54wDK6a92r4

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a long time Browns fan, I've come to realize...................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"