Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ebay final value fees

cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

This may have been beat to death but I just sold two items after some inactivity and saw that sales tax is included in the final value fee?
I don't mind the fee on hammer price and even shipping but this seems excessive.

Many happy BST transactions

Comments

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup but whatcha gonna do about it? Gotta pay to play!😎

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

jm will soon come by to say MP is perfect

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Still cheaper than PayPal.

Did I satisfy you?

Lol

It actually has little to do with MP as it is predominantly FVF.

They actually don't charge the fee on shipping charges. FWIW

Best bargain in retail.

Such a bargain

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Give it time.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I think the damn States should have to pay the fees!

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

or Wayfair :#

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

or Wayfair :#

Or South Dakota - they could have just hired North Dakota's lawyers from Quill!

You do have to love the sales tax. Turns every business into an unpaid tax collector forced to accept all the risks...

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's MP?

@cheezhed said:
    What's MP?

Managed payments

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Give it time.

It was last year about this time when everyone was saying that eBay would raise the fees after everyone was on MP. Instead, PayPal raised their fees almost 20% and eBay hasn't budged.

You never know...

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're talking ebay managed payments I have that.

@cheezhed said:
    If you're talking ebay managed payments I have that.

Yes, that's it.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the thread for complaining about eBay for things they're not actually doing, but someday might?

Asking for a friend...

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

do not forget that the 1099 from Ebay will include taxes they collected and dispersed to individual states on your behalf. This results in the 1099 reporting income to the IRS that is higher than your actual sales proceeds. Be sure that the income you report on your tax return reflects your actual sales income and not the total reported by the 1099 or you will overpay your taxes.

As far as paying small Ebay fee on the taxes collected, it is a very, very small price to pay to have someone else handle the headache of collecting and remitting sales taxes to 50 different entities. Thank you ebay.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

I haven't looked yet. But I hope it will be easy to isolate the fees, taxes and what have you in the reports. I run a spread sheet on my sales and it was so easy to just take my CC statements for what ebay charged me and a simple call to Paypal to find out the total fees I was charged for the year.

I might just over pay a little to save the hassle if it's hard to isolate.

@derryb said:
    do not forget that the 1099 from Ebay will include taxes they collected and dispersed to individual states on your behalf. This results in the 1099 reporting income to the IRS that is higher than your actual sales proceeds. Be sure that the income you report on your tax return reflects your actual sales income and not the total reported by the 1099 or you will overpay your taxes.

As far as paying small Ebay fee on the taxes collected, it is a very, very small price to pay to have someone else handle the headache of collecting and remitting sales taxes to 50 different entities. Thank you ebay.

From taxfoundsation.org:

"There are over 11,000 standard sales tax jurisdictions in the United States in 2020, according to software company Vertex Inc."

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭

I just stopped using ebay entirely early this year and want nothing to do with them.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Give it time.

It was last year about this time when everyone was saying that eBay would raise the fees after everyone was on MP. Instead, PayPal raised their fees almost 20% and eBay hasn't budged.

You never know...

When it comes to eBay eventually charging fees on everything, I do know. :) Past is prologue. History repeats itself. Never give a sucker an even break. Etc.

Ebay used to be for the small sellers but not anymore.
    It is just too much trouble to keep up with all the changes and charges for the little people now.
    Those set up to handle them will soon be doing all of ebay sales .
    I sold on ebay for 18 years and had fun doing it but do not need a full time job that it now requires.

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

You don't want to report less income than is on the 1099, that's a red flag that is easy for the IRS to find. You want to make sure that you deduct the sales tax paid on your behalf so you don't overpay taxes.

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

The exact amount depends on your eBay account setup, the individual state, etc. But it's about 10% of 6%, or 0.6%. If that's a problem then raise your prices a tiny amount (or if doing a true auction understand going in that you have that extra 0.6% or so).

@Davideo said:
    The exact amount depends on your eBay account setup, the individual state, etc. But it's about 10% of 6%, or 0.6%. If that's a problem then raise your prices a tiny amount (or if doing a true auction understand going in that you have that extra 0.6% or so).

I'd rather quit than pay 0.5%!!!

[End sarcasm]

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Ebay used to be for the small sellers but not anymore.
    It is just too much trouble to keep up with all the changes and charges for the little people now.

eBay was created to be a place for people to sell stuff online. It works for small sellers but it was not intended to be for small sellers only. As far as changes go, the site changed way more often in the earlier years than it does today. And charges? Tell me where a small seller can get the exposure they do on eBay but with lower fees.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was 13% total eBay/PP fees (for me) is now 14% plus they use my checking account for debits (like shipping charges) thereby backing out my cc cashback as well. I just round it to 15% for eBay and I pay the shipping (of course).

Like someone noted above, you play - you pay.

edited November 23, 2021 6:20PM

@VanHalen said:
    plus they use my checking account for debits (like shipping charges) thereby backing out my cc cashback as well

Then don't buy your labels through eBay. Set up an account on the USPS website and print your label there. Problem solved. :)

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is no different than any retailer processing a payment. If you buy something for $100 and there is $10 in sales tax, you pay $110 and they pay a fee on the $110, even though they owe the full $10 to the state.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

@MasonG said:

@VanHalen said:
    plus they use my checking account for debits (like shipping charges) thereby backing out my cc cashback as well

Then don't buy your labels through eBay. Set up an account on the USPS website and print your label there. Problem solved. :)

You can't buy 1st Class labels through USPS which is most of what I use. Typically $4 or $5/ea so not that big a deal but it adds up (to me and eBay's bottom line). eBay getting ahold of our checking account info was not the end game. Just a means to it.

I just now printed a shipping label through eBay. I had the option of using my credit card to pay.

@VanHalen said:
    eBay getting ahold of our checking account info was not the end game. Just a means to it.

eBay had access to your checking account any time they wanted when they owned PayPal. How did they misuse that info?

@MasonG said:

@VanHalen said:
    eBay getting ahold of our checking account info was not the end game. Just a means to it.

eBay had access to your checking account any time they wanted when they owned PayPal. How did they misuse that info?

The story is simple. eBay set up managed payments to get more money out of your pocket. That's all.

edited November 23, 2021 6:39PM

@MasonG said:
    I just now printed a shipping label through eBay. I had the option of using my credit card to pay.

I don't have that option. It's use your funds from payments or your checking account.

@VanHalen said:

@MasonG said:

@VanHalen said:

The story is simple. eBay set up managed payments to get more money out of your pocket. That's all.

And yet I'm paying less in overall fees. Paypal is up to 3.5% Why do I care who gets my money? So, eBay gets more and PayPal gets less. I'M paying LESS overall.

@VanHalen said:

@MasonG said:

I don't have that option. It's use your funds from payments or your checking account.

Probably depends on what your default payment method is.

@VanHalen said:

Managed Payment fees are less than PayPal's fees were. How are they getting more money out of my pocket?

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:

@MasonG said:

Probably depends on what your default payment method is.

That sounds like something someone could look into. If they're interested enough.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

They actually do charge the final value fee on shipping. The fee is charged on the total sale, item price + shipping +sales tax.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Davideo said:

I'd rather quit than pay 0.5%!!!

[End sarcasm]

Yeah, and it's not the interest, it's the principle!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

@VanHalen said:
    What was 13% total eBay/PP fees (for me) is now 14% plus they use my checking account for debits (like shipping charges) thereby backing out my cc cashback as well. I just round it to 15% for eBay and I pay the shipping (of course).

Like someone noted above, you play - you pay.

Change your payment option. I use PayPal to print my eBay labels (except for the inexpensive "eBay standard label") and use my credit card in PayPal to pay for them thereby getting cc cashback on the labels.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2021 8:22PM

@tommy44 said:

Change your payment option. I use PayPal to print my eBay labels (except for the inexpensive "eBay standard label") and use my credit card in PayPal to pay for them thereby getting cc cashback on the labels.

why not just change your shipping payment option in ebay to your credit card and earn the cashback without the hassle of manually entering the shipping info to generate a Paypal shipping label?

Does anyone know how to generate the cheaper ebay standard label for items that sell for more than $20? For these items the standard label is not a shipping option although they meet the physical standard for eligibility, i.e a coin that sells for $25.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

edited November 23, 2021 8:52PM

@tommy44 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

They actually do charge the final value fee on shipping. The fee is charged on the total sale, item price + shipping +sales tax.

No, it isn't. I'll post some screen shots. Or maybe it's just overseas shipping. I don't actually charge domestic shipping, so I can't really tell. But you'll note that the $25 shipping charge is not included in the amount that the fee is calculated on.

edited November 23, 2021 9:03PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Or maybe it's just overseas shipping. I don't actually charge domestic shipping, so I can't really tell.

From here: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/frais-pour-les-vendeurs-particuliers?id=4822

Final value fees
    We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees. If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer.

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Or maybe it's just overseas shipping. I don't actually charge domestic shipping, so I can't really tell.

From here: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/frais-pour-les-vendeurs-particuliers?id=4822

Final value fees
    We charge one final value fee when your item sells, and you don't have to worry about third-party payment processing fees. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order.

The total amount of the sale includes the item price, any handling charges, the shipping service the buyer selects, sales tax, and any other applicable fees. If you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer.

Interesting. So I could charge $200 international shipping and as long as my domestic shipping is free, there's no fees in the shipping ...hmmm....I need more international customers. Lol.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2021 12:52AM

I quit ebay as a seller a number of years ago. Between their fees, Paypal fees, and the post office there wasn't any $ left for me. No fun, just tedious work. ebay is for buying so that's all I use them for.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Well! If everybody was like you, you would have nothing to buy and ebay wouldn't exist! ;)

@mr1874 said:
    I quit ebay as a seller a number of years ago. Between their fees, Paypal fees, and the post office there wasn't any $ left for me. No fun, just tedious work. ebay is for buying so that's all I use them for.

I agree with you completely. I gave them up when they wanted me to ship for free and the items I was selling were so cheap that the shipping was costing me more than I was making. People will not pay more for something than it is worth. Then they added sales taxes to make it even worse. Its just to much hassle to be worth the bookkeeping involved unless you are set up for it and the computers do all the work for you and small time people are not.

@derryb said:

@tommy44 said:

why not just change your shipping payment option in ebay to your credit card and earn the cashback without the hassle of manually entering the shipping info to generate a Paypal shipping label?

Does anyone know how to generate the cheaper ebay standard label for items that sell for more than $20? For these items the standard label is not a shipping option although they meet the physical standard for eligibility, i.e a coin that sells for $25.

I guess I could charge the labels to my cc through eBay hadn't checked but I don't have to enter any info in PayPal. Apparently eBay provides a seamless interface with PayPal using the address in the payment transaction.

Regarding the eBay standard label, eBay also provides free insurance up to $20 for one item or $50 for up to three items. I'm sure the limitation has something to do with the risk they are willing to accept.

@amwldcoin said:
    Well! If everybody was like you, you would have nothing to buy and ebay wouldn't exist! ;)

@mr1874 said:

Let them all quit, then the buyers will only be able to buy stuff from you and me. o:)

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2021 7:15AM

Yes feel your pain - when I print out their eom report with all their fees and taxes and Calc the eBay selling exp as pct of sales I feel sick, overall feeling of anger, especially if GM after ebay sell exp negative (and this before subtracting Opex). I input it to the GJ and then post to the month line on the excel sales journal and remove sold items from the inventory detail. Then balance inventory detail vs book. I haven’t bought anything inventory wise in months. I may start shopping around but if not heck of deal can buy right no interest.

Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file