Home Sports Talk

Matt Nagy told he'll be fired after Thanksgiving

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

A report has surfaced that the Bears are going to fire Matt Nagy after Thanksgiving.

Report: Matt Nagy has been told he’ll be fired after Thanksgiving game

A Pulitzer-prize winning Chicago reporter has dropped a bomb on the Bears beat.

Mark Konkol, who previously worked for the Chicago Sun-Times, reports at Patch.com that the Bears have informed coach Matt Nagy that he’ll be fired after Thursday’s game at Detroit.

A “top source with knowledge of the decision” told Konkel that Nagy was informed of his looming fate on Monday. Konkol does not cover the Bears, but there’s no hesitation or equivocation in his report.

As noted by Konkol, the Bears have NEVER fired a coach during the season. (Of course, the owner was the coach for four different 10-year stints.)

The Bears have not yet responded to a request for comment from PFT.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's nothing like cranberry sauce and a good canning.

I'm happy for Bears fans, I truly am, I know they've been working hard for this lately.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 Should be along soon drunk as skunk from partying over hearing this

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2021 12:43PM

Sounds like it's going to be a Happy Thanksgiving at the Nagy house. 😒🦃

Yes, @galaxy27 has a lot to be thankful for this year!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2021 1:15PM

in the 101-year history of the franchise, no Bears HC has ever been handed a pink slip midseason. think about that for a second. so if he is in fact fired on Friday, that's really all you need to know about Matt Nagy the coach.

honestly, i don't think the Bears' brass has much of a choice at this point. there is about to be a mutiny if they don't get rid of him. there are "fire Nagy" chants emanating not only from Bears games, but also Bulls games as well as his son's high school football games.

and on top of that, he has completely lost the locker room. the players want him gone. i had to go dig up a quote that i read recently from cornerback Jaylon Johnson. here it is:

“How many games have we lost in a row?” said Johnson. ”There's nothing to talk about. We aren't going to beat a dead horse. We are all men. Coming in here and saying ‘we have to figure out a way,’ to me it's BS. We have to find ways to win, we just have to get it done. Whatever it is. Like I said, whatever it is but there's nothing to keep coming in here and talking about, and having all these rah-rah speeches. We've had five weeks of rah-rah speeches. I don't think that talking is anything we need to be doing."

unless you are a fan of the team, which i assume no one else on these boards is, then you're probably not fully aware of the damage Nagy has inflicted beyond the win-loss record. prior to the season he refused to waver on Andy Dalton being THE guy, hence Justin Fields got ZERO first-team reps in the preseason. then, he injects the rookie into the starter's role when he clearly was not ready and damn near got him killed against the Browns with a very disturbing lack of protection. Nagy has set the entire team back since 2018 and has stunted the franchise quarterback's growth with his piss-poor leadership and decision-making, so if he gets canned the day after Thanksgiving then that's exactly the type of ignominy he deserves.

To be honest, I think firing him on Christmas morning would have been more fun, but I guess we'll have to settle for the day after Thanksgiving.

the game against Detroit on Thursday may actually prove to be compelling after all. i would not at all be surprised if the entire team lays down and hands the Lions their first victory of the season. if that happens he may get fired before he eats his Thanksgiving dinner

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    the game against Detroit on Thursday may actually prove to be compelling after all. i would not at all be surprised if the entire team lays down and hands the Lions their first victory of the season. if that happens he may get fired before he eats his Thanksgiving dinner

I didn’t realize he didn’t get Fields quality work in the preseason, I mean honestly some of this falls on ownership to not step in sooner and figure out what is going on. I mean trusting a coach is fine but really there is no excuses for not getting your first round pick some quality work before the season begins.

I lived in Chicago for a short time back in 1992 and I do like the team, I don’t follow them but the fans out there deserve some competitive football

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

although I don't hold Matt Nagy in high regard as a Head Coach, it should be clear to most anyone that the problems with The Chicago Bears aren't of his making and his total responsibility, there's plenty of places to spread the blame. it's always easy to fire the Head Coach and start anew, but that approach has one really big problem: it doesn't encourage the better candidates to want the job. that was the trap The Cleveland Browns constructed for themselves and the one they aren't fully out of yet. nobody wants their 1st HC job to be with a franchise that boobytraps his success and only gives him 2-3 years to turn things around.

edited November 23, 2021 9:36PM

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

I didn’t realize he didn’t get Fields quality work in the preseason, I mean honestly some of this falls on ownership to not step in sooner and figure out what is going on. I mean trusting a coach is fine but really there is no excuses for not getting your first round pick some quality work before the season begins.

I lived in Chicago for a short time back in 1992 and I do like the team, I don’t follow them but the fans out there deserve some competitive football

I said Fields got zero first-team reps, but apparently a source close to the team said he counted 6, but maybe less. whatever the minuscule number is, it wasnt nearly enough. then the kid was tossed into the fire in week 3 against Cleveland and looked completely lost out there, to the surprise of absolutely no one. and to make matters infinitely worse, Nagy refused to put an extra body or two on the line to protect him when he was on the brink of getting murdered in his first NFL start. I can't remember how many sacks he absorbed but it was pushing double digits. I'm sure keets watched that game and can attest to all of this.

and then once Nagy saw glimpses of what Fields could do when he was running with the starters, he made some brilliant comments and the twitter world chimed in 👇

I just can't wrap my mind around a guy like him somehow attaining a coveted HC gig in the NFL. for the past 4 seasons I have honestly been concerned about his brain at times.

can you imagine Belichick handling Mac Jones in a similar fashion? ah, the stark contrast between my favorite team and yours lol

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/nfl-fans-are-ripping-matt-nagy-for-his-comment-about-justin-fields-practice-reps/

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did he not get fired on Thanksgiving? I thought it was as sure a thing

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
    edited December 7, 2021 8:29PM

@Alfonz24 said:

Did he not get fired on Thanksgiving? I thought it was as sure a thing

the Bears have never fired a coach midseason before, but trust me, it's coming