Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Registered package theft--1652 Commonwealth Unite

Date:11/11/2021
Offense: Burglary
Incident location: Transit CA to NC
Investigating Agency: USPS
Report Number: N/A

Details:

A package being shipped registered mail with four coins inside from San Diego, CA to North Carolina was received with one coin missing. The package had been slit open and re-taped.

Stolen Coin:

Great Britain 1652 Commonwealth Unite
PCGS AU55 PCGS cert # 144322.55/05250592

Comments

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭

Yikes. I have had problems with registered mail coming in from other countries (USPS treats those as regular 1st class mail), but never with USPS registered mail within the U. S.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Hope the owner gets it back.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Registered is kind of the gold standard so to speak. Terrible and I'm curious if the USPS actually take ownership of allowing this.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to wonder if these thefts of registered mail can be traced to new hires. Does the USPS restrict handling of registered mail to select employees only or can anyone handle them?

All glory is fleeting.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every person that touches a Registered package is supposed to have to sign for it. I suspect at times there may be lax security issues with regards to who can access the safe. I'm sure that was what happened when I had a registered package stolen. Luckily that person was stupid enough to sell them to an honest dealer and got busted!!!! :# Damn covid got her out of jail early though. :s

@291fifth said:
    I have to wonder if these thefts of registered mail can be traced to new hires. Does the USPS restrict handling of registered mail to select employees only or can anyone handle them?

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Every person that touches a Registered package is supposed to have to sign for it. I suspect at times there may be lax security issues with regards to who can access the safe. I'm sure that was what happened when I had a registered package stolen. Luckily that person was stupid enough to sell them to an honest dealer and got busted!!!! :# Damn covid got her out of jail early though. :s

@291fifth said:

What Post Office was she out of?

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was in the western suburbs of Baltimore if I recall correctly.

@Herb_T said:

@amwldcoin said:

@291fifth said:

What Post Office was she out of?

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug Davis just sent out this alert on some world coins stolen at the Baltimore show:

Date:11/19/2021
    Offense: Theft
    Incident location: Baltimore Coin Show
    Investigating Agency: N/A

Details:

NCIC just received information that a Hispanic male attempted to sell two coins stolen at the Baltimore Show. The suspect spoke broken English. The suspect attempted to sell the following coins in the New York City area. No further information is available at this time.

1898 China Fengiten PCGS AU55 38869382
    1927 China Momento Dollar PCGS MS65

Dealers should be on the lookout for the suspect or suspects.
    Anyone with information contact:
    Doug Davis
    Doug@numismaticcrimes.org
    817-723-7231

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be some temp Christmas help is showing up.