Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New To Collecting - Varieties/errors?

Hello,

I'm new to collecting, and found some coins that I am not sure about. They could be possible varieties/errors, or they could be nothing. I have a 2004 Wisconsin quarter, and a 2005 Oregon quarter where it looks as though washington has a bald spot. Not sure if it's anything or just wear. I have another 2005 Oregon which looks like it has a cud in the A in CRATER. Let me know what you think, and if I found anything. That you in advance for your help!

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2021 7:46AM

Welcome to the forum. Varieties and errors are an exciting field but I can tell you from years of experience – its not easy. Most folks cannot even tell you what the difference between a variety vs. and error. So make sure you understand that first. Next, I would highly recommend you do some research be it on line or the old fashion way – buy a book or 2 on the subject. While searching pocket change you may run across a few things now and then, but you need to understand the coining process and then you can better understand what you are looking at rather than thinking you have something you don’t. Oh, yeah, and you will need some sort of magnification.

As far as what you have posted it may be a cud – but then again, on a circulated coin it could just be a hit moving metal around and filling in the hole. It’s really hard to tell without knowledge, and magnification. Also the bald spot could be a die variety or yet again, die wear. I am not a quarter collector so here again, someone who knows quarters is better apt to help you.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collect minor varieties and errors if you like but be aware that there is little or no demand for them from other collectors who pay premiums for coins. This is what is called a "cherry-pickers" market. They want to sell you such items for a big profit but only "make their own" at face value.

If you have to wonder about it ... it is not important.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some say that the good ones are the errors you can see without magnification. I would think it might be easier to sell something that has a glaring problem opposed to the “ it’s right there, see, here look through this loop😉” type of coin. I have to separate errors from varieties. Varieties are different in that they can require a loop.
    Enjoy and study study study. 🤠

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

Thank you for your replies everyone. These few I wasn't sure about. I'm waiting on my cherry picker's guide to arrive. I think the bald spots are most likely wear, but I'll hold onto them. I did find an arizona with an extra leaf covering the engravers initials, and a cud in the cactus that can be seen without a loop. So I'm excited about that. Good luck collecting!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2021 1:25PM

A cud is strictly on the edge of the coin.

It appears the die chipped in the top of the A in CRATER

The bald spot is from a polished die. Basically the detail in the metal was removed mechanically by someone at the mint.

There is no premium for either.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    Welcome to the forum. Varieties and errors are an exciting field but I can tell you from years of experience – its not easy. Most folks cannot even tell you what the difference between a variety vs. and error. So make sure you understand that first. Next, I would highly recommend you do some research be it on line or the old fashion way – buy a book or 2 on the subject. While searching pocket change you may run across a few things now and then, but you need to understand the coining process and then you can better understand what you are looking at rather than thinking you have something you don’t. Oh, yeah, and you will need some sort of magnification.

As far as what you have posted it may be a cud – but then again, on a circulated coin it could just be a hit moving metal around and filling in the hole. It’s really hard to tell without knowledge, and magnification. Also the bald spot could be a die variety or yet again, die wear. I am not a quarter collector so here again, someone who knows quarters is better apt to help you.

WS

"Die chip"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file