Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sheffield Plate Fake 8R Cap and Rays

Any comment? Any collector of fake Sheffield plate?

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2021 5:07PM

Have you done specific gravity or surface testing to try figure out the composition of the core? Would love to see more pics of this one.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Sheffield plate" was a thin layer of silver fused to a copper core in such a way that they could be worked as if a single alloy. The preferred core switched to "German silver", a copper, nickel, zinc alloy, after 1820 and after 1840 was replaced by electroplating. Nothing about that photo makes me believe that is Sheffield plate. In fact, the amount of separation makes me think of a magician coin or one hollowed out to hide a message.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2021 11:45PM

Jack, it does look pretty thick for Sheffield and even if it would have separated, I would expect the core to show the impression of the design, so you're onto something there.

Here are a few example I've handled in the past:

Always liked this 1817 Durango because the test cut exposed the core.

• @jgenn said:
    In fact, the amount of separation makes me think of a magician coin or one hollowed out to hide a message.

I believe we've seen a few pcs. on CoinComm. via swamperbob, etc. where the core of a genuine C&R has been hollowed out and replaced with base metal simply to steal the silver.

• worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hollowed-1893-am-mexico-reales-lead-1551362477

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

And they made a lot of them. Very interesting. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52