Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Canyon City Coin on Ebay

Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful raw coins - they have a really cool way of taking pictures and have a seemingly unlimited supply of cool silver dollars and other coins - even key dates!
However, I have now received another coin back from grading and once again - came back cleaned...!!
Even their 1921 peace dollars - which are fetching big bucks - have had 2 come back cleaned...! On one coin I saw what I thought were die polishing lines but I guess were hairlines... they look beautiful and I’m not unsatisfied with them because they are genuine and uncirculated but they shouldn’t be calling these GEM BU because they are not GEM BU many are actually low mint state or cleaned. Just FYI and be careful out there!!

Comments

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 7:28PM

I guess the lesson here is don’t pay top dollar for a raw coin! It could have hairlines and won’t grade!
    Best of luck to everyone!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2021 8:45PM

This is another one of those questionable threads.

If you can't tell if a coin is cleaned, don't buy raw.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Don't buy raw coins on eBay unless you know what you're doing.

Especially "uncirculated" 1921 Peace Dollars. These guys' photography method and bogus backstory to all these coins should tell you all you need to know about them.
    They seem to have a very large following because their auctions get unreasonably high final bids. They are getting rich off the unaware.

@jmlanzaf said:

They are unethical and you know it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes can you post links to the coins you bought from them?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    Don't buy raw coins on eBay unless you know what you're doing.

Especially "uncirculated" 1921 Peace Dollars. These guys' photography method and bogus backstory to all these coins should tell you all you need to know about them.
    They seem to have a very large following because their auctions get unreasonably high final bids. They are getting rich off the unaware.

@jmlanzaf said:

They are unethical and you know it.

That's not my point. I don't trust anyone who oversells an item. But I don't know anything except that they have questionable backstories. I've never seen their coins. They have 100% positive feedback. That's hard to do if you are selling crap.

These threads that name and disparage businesses are against forum rules.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's expensive and not slabbed, there's a reason, and it may not be the one presented.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why pick one of the many sellers who 'spice' up their photos? AS was said: if you buy a raw coin being sold at elevated expense, better know what you are doing. Also, they have a 'free' 30 Day Returns.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

For this very reason I have been buying books on grading. Studying every site I can find and have stopped buying. I foolishly thought wam bam learn a little about it and I can grade 😂😂😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2021 8:56AM

@Che_Grapes said:
    I guess the lesson here is don’t pay top dollar for a raw coin! It could have hairlines and won’t grade!
    Best of luck to everyone!

The lesson here is to learn how to grade and spot issues before you buy.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have a photographic style that maximizes all the positive attributes of a coin and minimizes all the negative attributes. It’s very hard to replicate. It’s kind of the perfect beauty shot. They must have spent a lot of time perfecting it.

• Options

If you can’t see the hairlines then you can’t see them. I took the coin in question to several coin experts - including one that teaches coin grading - and he suggested I send it in and did not see the hairlines either. So as much as your note may make you feel better, even you are not that good - with all due respect..!!
    I don’t need to be chastised, my point was no matter how “competent” you are at grading coins you can’t do perfectly it from a photograph.
    I’m about done with this message board - I just don’t understand all the attitude...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to be “done” with us

You’ve had a lot of positive interactions

There’s a lot to be learned from some really knowledgeable people on here

@Che_Grapes said:

If you can’t see the hairlines then you can’t see them. I took the coin in question to several coin experts - including one that teaches coin grading - and he suggested I send it in and did not see the hairlines either. So as much as your note may make you feel better, even you are not that good - with all due respect..!!
    I don’t need to be chastised, my point was no matter how “competent” you are at grading coins you can’t do perfectly it from a photograph.
    I’m about done with this message board - I just don’t understand all the attitude...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that “cleaning” doesn’t always result in hairlines.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:

If the problem was so minor as to be hard to detect, why are you shaming the seller?

You are definitely correct, however, that you can't accurately grade coins from pictures.

• Options

If the problem was so minor as to be hard to detect, why are you shaming the seller?

The thought was that the hairlines from a cleaning were hard to detect.

Add what MFeld had to say and there may not be hairlines to see since it could have been cleaned by another method or a good buffing.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

I've never seen their coins. They have 100% positive feedback. That's hard to do if you are selling crap.

You take the time to verify feedback is 100% yet do not view the coins listed nor browse the two other threads posted.

Sooooo…. Che_Grapes … what feedback would you leave today and why?

• Options

Also, reporting that a coin came back cleaned from a seller who did not say it was is not against the rules. It is not libelous.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:

No attitude just truth, my intent is/was not to chastise you and I don't "feel" better about myself. As I did not review the coin for you it is just as likely that I might have or might not have been able to spot the cleaning issue; rather from photos or in hand. The point is that you learned somethings albeit the hard way. You learned that this seller may not be a trusted source for raw coins. You learned that your trusted experts may not be as trustworthy as you think they are. You have found out that asking questions here about the seller or the coin before you bought might have saved you the cost and headache. And you have learned that if you have difficulties spotting issues then it may be best to stick to coins already certified.

A lot to learn from your experience now it is up to you to apply that new knowledge going forward. Just food for thought; perhaps your experts who reviewed the coin were hesitant to be honest if you do not take criticism very well.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

And one thing not explicitly mentioned… gotta know what photographic work is better for grading from pics and what is harder to grade with

• Options

Here is the coin:
    My pic and their pic: this is the SAME coin: note the lines between the “L” and the “I” in LIBERTY. That’s the hairlines - like I said we thought they were polishing lines... even tho it came back cleaned I still like the coin and it has beautiful luster ...

• Options

And I’m not trying to shame the seller - I still like the coin, probably paid too much but it was at auction and so that’s all on me.
    No hard feelings to anyone - I was just feeling a little bit feisty I guess.

• Options

This is what caused the cleaning grade

• Options

So you’re right / I should have seen it ...

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I've never seen their coins. They have 100% positive feedback. That's hard to do if you are selling crap.

You take the time to verify feedback is 100% yet do not view the coins listed nor browse the two other threads posted.

Sooooo…. Che_Grapes … what feedback would you leave today and why?

Yes, I looked at their listings. Like I said, they are definitely hyping their coins.

According to the OP him/herself, the coin they received looked fine which is why they sent it in to be slabbed. They even claimed that the coin fooled a grading instructor. Yet, here we are, disparaging them publicly.

• Options

It shows a cleaning from that dark ring around Lady Liberty

Disparaging? Don’t blame yourself Che_Grapes

I bought a cleaned 21 peace from a coin dealer on eBay. At this time I would have left much deserved negative feedback for not disclosing a problem coin.

It’s not disparaging to expect honesty from sellers and complaints from affected purchasers.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2021 6:26PM

Well for the record I tried to delete the post and it doesn’t seem to be possible...!??
    I am not upset with the coin - didn’t expect it to come back cleaned but I am not unhappy with the seller - just to be clear... will think more before posting such a post in the future — I didn’t mean anything negative against the seller!

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    Well for the record I tried to delete the post and it doesn’t seem to be possible...!??
    I am not upset with the coin - didn’t expect it to come back cleaned but I am not unhappy with the seller - just to be clear... will think more before posting such a post in the future — I didn’t mean anything negative against the seller!

You can't delete posts - only the mods can do that. You can edit the text if you wish.

• Options

Edit the OP title, too for that matter

Although edited op titles will draw more people in rather than keep them away.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:
    Here is the coin:
    My pic and their pic: this is the SAME coin: note the lines between the “L” and the “I” in LIBERTY. That’s the hairlines - like I said we thought they were polishing lines... even tho it came back cleaned I still like the coin and it has beautiful luster ...

it is amazing what can be done with lighting = I try to stick to stuff already graded by sellers like that, they do have nice coins already in slabs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file