Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What The %#$@ PSA?!

At a sports convention tonight and submitted some autographs from previous shows at the PSA booth. Employee I talked to told me if I was getting items signed tonight, it would only be a $10 authentication fee for items signed by players signing that night. I was like "Great!" I had a bunch of cards I was getting signed by '85 Bears players, so it's usually at least $20 per player, so I'd be saving some money.

At the end of the night, I came back with 11 cards signed but only had $70. Gave them 7 of the signed cards and said I would go to the ATM to get the rest of the money to cover the other cards. I come back to fill out the form and give them the remaining $40 and my first 7 cards have now got stickers on them on the back of the cards! PSA literally just ruined hundreds of dollars worth of autographs I paid for! What idiot puts a sticker on the back of the actual card?! To say I was angry would be to put it mildly. I thought this was supposed to be the biggest name in sports card grading and autograph authentication?! Why would I get a card autographed just to have you put a sticker on the back, thus ruining the card?!

I'm so, so pissed off right now. Literally hundreds of dollars paid for autographs that are now on ruined cards.

Comments

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

That’s unacceptable!

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Did you want them slabbed instead of the sticker? What do you normally get for $20?

• Options

@vols1 said:
    Did you want them slabbed instead of the sticker? What do you normally get for $20?

Yes, I wanted them slabbed. When I had submitted other signed cards earlier in the day to get slabbed, that's when the employee told me about the deal for players signing that day. I didn't even know PSA put stickers on trading cards! That seems ridiculous to me. Who wants to buy a card with a sticker on the back?

• Options

@Samthecat said:
    That is terrible. PSA is starting to stink as a company. How much longer will they hold bulk submissions? Customer service like this will lead to many leaving PSA.

I have a weekend pass for this sports convention, and in all honesty, I'm thinking of just submitting the other cards I'm getting signed to Beckett. It sucks, because all of my graded/autogrphed cards except one are in PSA slabs, but if this is the way things are going, I may need to switch companies. I literally lost around $500 in autographs that I paid for today because the cards have been ruined.

• Options

Just curious? Was this a PSA booth for cards and on card authentication or a just PSA/DNA booth for authenticating in person signatures of athletes signing at a sports card/memorabilia show as well as examining/authenticating signatures on all sorts of items previously signed like photographs, equipment, art and trading cards?

The latter usually only comes with a sticker and a letter of authenticity while the former involves slabbing the card and applying a grade?

• Options

@rbsalezman said:
    Just curious? Was this a PSA booth for cards and on card authentication or a just PSA/DNA booth for authenticating in person signatures of athletes signing at a sports card/memorabilia show as well as examining/authenticating signatures on all sorts of items previously signed like photographs, equipment, art and trading cards?

The latter usually only comes with a sticker and a letter of authenticity while the former involves slabbing the card and applying a grade?

PSA was only accepting autograph authentication at the time. However, like I said in my first post, they were accepting cards to be slabbed, but only cards that were autographed. I even submitted a bunch of cards that I had gotten signed at previous shows at the very beginning of the day. I had no reason to believe that some idiot would take the cards and then put stickers on the back of them.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

That's how auto authentication works at those shows. I've been to that show in Chicago you're at for years and have never seen something come back slabbed. They don't slab them, they authenticate them while you wait at the booth (usually just a couple of minutes since you just got the item signed at the show). I don't think it ruins the card at all. All other items that PSA authenticates has stickers on them and they aren't ruined.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we talking about PSA or JSA?

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Can you upload a photo so that we can also see please.

• Options

@swish54 said:
    That's how auto authentication works at those shows. I've been to that show in Chicago you're at for years and have never seen something come back slabbed. They don't slab them, they authenticate them while you wait at the booth (usually just a couple of minutes since you just got the item signed at the show). I don't think it ruins the card at all. All other items that PSA authenticates has stickers on them and they aren't ruined.

I've been to this show in Chicago for years as well and can guarantee you that they do accept cards for slabbing. They have to take it back to get slabbed, but they accept the submission. In fact, pretty much all of my PSA cards were slabbed from submissions at this place.

I don't know how having a sticker on the back of a trading card doesn't ruin it, considering any kind of mark that isn't an autograph vastly depreciates the value of a card. It's one thing if it's an index card that got signed, but a trading card? Come on!

• Options

@Vagabond said:
    Can you upload a photo so that we can also see please.

It's going to have to wait until the cards come back. I was asked if I wanted to still submit the cards for slabbing and told them yes. The guy gave me a good deal on it because he felt bad about the mistake, but the fact that 7 of them are going to have stickers on the back of them still drives me nuts.

It'll likely be at least a couple of months before I get them, but I'll post them in this thread when they come back from PSA.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

I think your overreacting a little bit.
    I deal primarily auto's & your card is NOT ruined, this is standard for this type of show.
    I have a funny feeling you misunderstood what the psa $10 special was.
    Take a deep breath..

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree that a sticker on a card is really bothersome and detracts greatly from the appeal. However I also agree that you misunderstood the special. Did you really think your cards were going to be slabbed same day? And all for 10 bucks??

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

$10 for a slab? No way. You misunderstood what this actually entailed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cubbies1416 said:
    At a sports convention tonight and submitted some autographs from previous shows at the PSA booth. Employee I talked to told me if I was getting items signed tonight, it would only be a $10 authentication fee for items signed by players signing that night. I was like "Great!" I had a bunch of cards I was getting signed by '85 Bears players, so it's usually at least $20 per player, so I'd be saving some money.

At the end of the night, I came back with 11 cards signed but only had $70. Gave them 7 of the signed cards and said I would go to the ATM to get the rest of the money to cover the other cards. I come back to fill out the form and give them the remaining $40 and my first 7 cards have now got stickers on them on the back of the cards! PSA literally just ruined hundreds of dollars worth of autographs I paid for! What idiot puts a sticker on the back of the actual card?! To say I was angry would be to put it mildly. I thought this was supposed to be the biggest name in sports card grading and autograph authentication?! Why would I get a card autographed just to have you put a sticker on the back, thus ruining the card?!

I'm so, so pissed off right now. Literally hundreds of dollars paid for autographs that are now on ruined cards.

this is 100% on you, not PSA's fault at all. you paid for an in person signing authentication. very common for these type of shows. JSA does the exact same thing. industry standard.

did you really think you were getting a card slabbed for $10?

if you ever have questions about service, ask first. the only person you have to be upset with is yourself

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    cgfalconecgfalcone Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

this is 100% on you, not PSA's fault at all. you paid for an in person signing authentication. very common for these type of shows. JSA does the exact same thing. industry standard.

did you really think you were getting a card slabbed for $10?

if you ever have questions about service, ask first. the only person you have to be upset with is yourself

I don’t know about 100% on him. Even if it is standard practice, I think there is some obligation on the seller’s part to explain what the service is that they are selling. Experienced collectors may know what to expect but others may not and unless you are familiar with this practice I don’t think there is any reason to expect someone is going to slap a sticker on a card. On the other hand, I think the buyer probably should have realized that he wasn’t going to get something slabbed for $10 and asked some questions.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:
    I think your overreacting a little bit.
    I deal primarily auto's & your card is NOT ruined, this is standard for this type of show.
    I have a funny feeling you misunderstood what the psa $10 special was.
    Take a deep breath..

This x100 lol.

OP- you can get an index card slabbed or with a sticker, you can get an 8x10 slabbed or sticker, you can get an oversized card slabbed or stickered....does it ruin those if they are stickered vs slabbed? No it does not.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to pile on but the walking away going to the ATM part seems to be the real issue.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2021 2:07AM

@Cubbies1416 said:

@rbsalezman said:

PSA was only accepting autograph authentication at the time. However, like I said in my first post, they were accepting cards to be slabbed, but only cards that were autographed. I even submitted a bunch of cards that I had gotten signed at previous shows at the very beginning of the day. I had no reason to believe that some idiot would take the cards and then put stickers on the back of them.

how hard are the stickers to remove if you wanted to?

• Options

Rule number one of autograph collecting is never get a card (or anything else) signed that is worth more than the signature. If you got a bunch of $5 cards signed and authenticated, you'd be happy as a clam right now. But I do agree that slapping a sticker on any card is a bad idea.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

I never would have thought that the $10 special was for encapsulation as well

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.