Home Precious Metals
Options

I need your thoughts on a metal and purity tester

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to purchase a metal purity and type tester. What do members think of the Sigma Metalytics Precious Metal Verifier? It tests through slab holders. Looking for comments on a good tester that doesn’t break the bank.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

love my Sigma. It does test through slabs. Keep in mind it does not determine metal content, it verifies metal based on instrument setting selection.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @derryb said:
    An XRF tester will tell you precisely what the object you're testing is made from down to fractions of a percent.

The Sigma will tell you if an item fits within a tight range for the type of metal you're testing.

For example, if you shoot a slabbed classic $20 gold eagle, an XRF tester should tell you the entire metallic content including gold, copper, silver, and even the trace elements that you probably didn't know or don't care are present.

Place the same slab on the Sigma, having chosen the preset "Gold-90% balance CU" and the Sigma will tell you if the coin within the slab reads within a tight range of acceptable parameters.

I, too, love my Sigma. It's an inexpensive additional set of eyes when you need a degree of confidence or if you are questioning something. It's very fast, light, portable, and very robust.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Really like my Sigma. It tests through holders. If you wanna test bars or smaller coins be sure to get the 3 wand attachments. If you dont need to test bars get the 2 wands. Only negative I have experienced is that on really small gold coins like a dos peso it doesnt give a good reading. Prices have gone up but its relativly cheap compared to XRF.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• Options

@doubleeagle07 said:
    Only negative I have experienced is that on really small gold coins like a dos peso it doesnt give a good reading.

same with tenth oz AGEs, but using the small probe solves the problem.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can it be used on silverware to detect silver plating?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Can it be used on silverware to detect silver plating?

I am craving this knowledge as well!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this is what I’m wondering about too

In a past thread where a sigma was mentioned it was said that the shape of flatware can be trouble for the sigma.

But what about the sigma with a small wand?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2021 5:11PM

It can't accurately detect silver or gold plated bullion coins or bars I highly doubt it could distinguish silver plate vs sterling flatware. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    It can't accurately detect silver or gold plated bullion coins or bars I highly doubt it could distinguish silver plate vs sterling flatware. lol

Only for those who can't read the simple instructions. Works great for me, I can read.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Only for those who can't read the simple instructions. Works great for me, I can read.

Then can you answer jmski's question via your experiences?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

My sigma works great. It’s another tool to use especially if you are buying gold. I like the three wand bullion set.

FYI
    Normally between weight, magnet, dimensions, and sigma you can catch most fakes. However, don’t get lazy, it also makes sense to look at the coin even if it passes all normal tests. Recently, someone had a $2.5 Indian gold piece that they had for along time so I was lazy and didn’t really look at the coin. It is well known older versions were made out 60% gold. His piece passed all diagnostics tests and he sent it in to pcgs for grading.
    It turned out the coin was counterfeit and when I finally looked at it I saw the tools marks on the neck and then he fessed up and said he bought it three months ago. Since these coins are selling at about 2+x melt I am assuming this is a current fake. I should have known better after all these years to look at the coin first. Lesson relearned.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

bump for further clarification................

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp said:
    My sigma works great. It’s another tool to use especially if you are buying gold. I like the three wand bullion set.

FYI
    Normally between weight, magnet, dimensions, and sigma you can catch most fakes. However, don’t get lazy, it also makes sense to look at the coin even if it passes all normal tests. Recently, someone had a $2.5 Indian gold piece that they had for along time so I was lazy and didn’t really look at the coin. It is well known older versions were made out 60% gold. His piece passed all diagnostics tests and he sent it in to pcgs for grading.
    It turned out the coin was counterfeit and when I finally looked at it I saw the tools marks on the neck and then he fessed up and said he bought it three months ago. Since these coins are selling at about 2+x melt I am assuming this is a current fake. I should have known better after all these years to look at the coin first. Lesson relearned.

Passed all diagnostics INCLUDING the Sigma???? 60%, 90%, who cares the magic wand detected some level of gold in there. EH?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

?

Passed the sigma?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

If the coin was 60% gold it would not have passed the sigma on the 90% setting. Also, it would have probably failed other tests.

The only way I can figure the fake $2.5 Indian coin passed was it had to be made out of 90% gold.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2021 1:14AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

I speak from experience with bullion coins and bars, I do not buy or sell silverware and therefore cannot answer his question. Those who have actually used a Sigma knows that the troll's comments are BS.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2021 2:03AM

@blitzdude said:

@Ppp said:

FYI

Passed all diagnostics INCLUDING the Sigma???? 60%, 90%, who cares the magic wand detected some level of gold in there. EH?

The at one time extremely high premiums on $1 and $2.50 small gold coins, that did not require a substantial amount of gold, resulted in many counterfeits being created with the correct gold content. Sigma verifies PM content, not coin authenticity. Sigma in this case most likely did its job.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only know one person with an XRF gun. For industrial use. My next door neighbor.

When he uses it, he cleans the surface to be tested and the gun touches the substrate. Heck of a machine. The machine reads out the alloy composition. He won't let me touch it, lol.

Cost: $30,000.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have opportunity to use it often, but like the Sigma PMV.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date