Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cello Over 40 Years (Star Rookie on Bottom) Returned

As a kid (over 40 years ago), we used to go to a 5 and 10 to play pinball. The store manager was selling 25 cent Topps cello packs. He later reduced the price to 10 cents. To make room for other inventory he asks if we want any of the packs (giving them to us for free) and dumped several on our pinball game. I collected 17 of these packs. I didn't really look at them as it was the end of the baseball season. A few later, I saw that one of these cellos had one of the key cards(rookie) of the 70s set on the bottom of the cello. Though I am going to keep it, I decided to send it into PSA so that it would be better preserved in a case. Much to my shock the pack came back ungraded/altered, the pack I have had since the year of issue, complete with gum. So what does this mean? Am I to interpret this to mean that someone in Topps factory in PA (or store owner who gave away product as it wasn't selling) resealed a pack over 45 ago, and put one of the most expensive cards on the bottom? Glad I didn't send the rest of the packs. Is there any contact that can explain why it wasn't graded? I am puzzled....

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 7:42PM

Pics would help.... How did you store it/them all these years?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pack may not exhibit a clean seal or look otherwise suspect. Not passing authentication doesn't necessarily mean the pack is bad, just that it didn't look good enough to pass. And no offense, but the "I've had this pack since the year of issue," is a common claim even in cases of altered packs. Not saying that's the case here, but obviously there's no way to prove your claim, either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 10:19PM

The seal probably deteriorated. The packs were meant to be opened so they used cheap plastic. Topps didn't think anyone would be crazy enough to save a piece of gum for 40 years....

• Options
    StatsGuyStatsGuy Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    Pics would help.... How did you store it/them all these years?

In a shoebox (I think Keds) that has Johnny Bench, Stan Smith and Willis Reed cards on top :) I'll see if I can show a pic. Thanks for all the input so far. I am definitely not sending the other packs in. Hard to pay $$ and not get a slab.

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these the 1975 packs that were shown on Facebook awhile ago? The story sounds familiar.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Are these the 1975 packs that were shown on Facebook awhile ago? The story sounds familiar.

No, I am not on FB.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

show some of the packs (Front/back); the experts here will be able to tell if they have been tampered with

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yawn. Still waiting for pics!

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    Yawn. Still waiting for pics!

Jenny keeps all the boys waiting.

• Options

Here are some pictures of the pack. Sorry for the delay. Had trouble posting, but all images are on the pdf.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Is any of the cello torn on the corners?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, cello is missing from bottom side/corner of the pack. Is the gum visible on the other side the pack?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.