Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

CLOSED. Giveaway. Au, Ag, Ni, Cu and whatever else I find in my junk box.

KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 11, 2022 5:05PM in Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

So it seems that the tradition here is to do a giveaway when you hit 1000 posts. I've been here for a few years and it looks like that I'll never reach that milestone. Less than 800 posts, but more strikes and timeouts than I care to count. Got another strike last week for a post over a year old, and a warning for a post that I've already got a warning for a year ago that I was told was previously deleted.

Oh well. And I've seen better, more knowledgeable, and helpful members here banished for less, so I will just assume that my time on this board is likely to end abruptly. But I noticed that I hit the 1k likes threshold, so this is an excuse for another giveaway. As usual, there are rules. But first, the goods:

There will be multiple 1st prizes offered. As of this initial post, we are going to start with some of the common metals used in coinage. The first 1st prize winner will get to choose what they want from the list of 1st prizes, the second 1st prize winner will get their choice of what is left, the third 1st prize winner gets to choose from the remaining 1st prizes, and so on. I reserve the right to add additional 1st prizes as I see fit, or as I find other cool stuff in my junk box to include in this offering.
The second and third prize winners will have no options for their prizes, they must accept what is offered, as in the tradition of Glengarry Glen Ross.

Ok, here are the first prizes:
Au:

A pair of Mexican 1/2 escudos 1863 C & 1867 C.
These are truly awful coins, damaged in every way imaginable. Holed, filled ,bent, cleaned, and generally abused. But now is your chance to tell your friends that you just got a pair of C mintmarked halfs, and if they assume the are half eagles from Charlotte you have no obligation to correct them. I got these from a very reputable auction house a few years ago, there was no picture in the catalog, just a description along the lines of "Hand on Book, sold as-is, no returns". Too tempting to pass up.

Ag:

This 1925 Lexington half in its original box.
I understand that there are fake boxes out there, and commems are not my thing, so I am no expert and I can not guarantee that the box is genuine, but it sure looks a lot better than others I've seen photos of. The coin is genuine, I'd call it MS-63 or 64, and it does have a slight greenish patina that I have read is present on these coins that came in the genuine boxes.

Ni:

This is a 1958 proof nickel.
A really quite common coin, but in an uncommon grade. So uncommon ,that it is literally unique. Yep, this is the only PCGS 1958+ 5c, with a population of 1, 6 higher. (10 higher if you include Cam & Dcam). Check the pop report and dazzle your friends if you are the lucky winner.

Cu:

More than half full. You will have to win to find out which half.
More to come than this, but I have so few copper coins handy right now, I will surely find more at the take-a-penny-leave-a- penny thing at the at the Quik-E-Mart to make this an attractive choice for one of the lucky first prize winners.

And as always, second prize is this set of steak knives:

Tradition mandates the obligatory third prize:

Next, the rules:
This contest lasts until December 31, 2021, unless I am banned from this board for whatever reason. If I am banned before the end date, the contest will be extended one week so the winners will have the opportunity to decide amongst themselves who gets first dibs on the prizes, who gets the knives and who gets fired. If I am still around when the contest ends, my cat Mrs. Chippy will choose the order of winners. It is highly unlikely that the rational for his choices will be understood or properly explained, but his decisions must not be questioned and are final.
If I get banned between now until the contest end, you will decide amongst yourselves who gets to choose first by whatever criteria you choose (My suggestion is a battle of wits, Vizzini style).
All members of this board are potential winners. All winners are encouraged to donate some money to any charity you choose, so long as it is not a charity that you regularly donate to. For each dollar you donate to a charity that you don't normally support, you get one virtual ticket to this party.
An example: if your are a member of LDS, your tithes are not eligible. If you are RickO, your coin cleaning supplies and ammo are not eligible.
If you give $10 to give Stinky Matt who panhandles outside of the Quik-E-Mart, that is worth 10 points. If you don't regularly donate to anyone, but throw that ex-jewelry gold Sovereign that you have in your junk box into the red kettle in front of Target, you get 495 points. That extra block of government cheese in your fridge could go to the local food bank, and you get 5 points. If you have boatloads of money and want to donate $10m to a think-tank that will try to figure out how our children and grandchildren will survive in an overheated environment, you get a whole bunch of points. There is no guarantee that if you donate the most money to a random charity that you will be highest on the pecking order for this giveaway, but it will increase your odds. Mrs. Chippy will choose, and he doesn't understand the concept of money, but he is well versed on all types of cat treats. I think that he may be influenced by bribes if salmon is involved.

This contest will be run on the the honor system. If you slip Stinky Matt a sawbuck, just reply to this post "I'm in for 10".
If you drop that janky Sovereign in the bucket, just reply to this post "I'm in for 495". If you have lots of excess money and want to fund a few smart people that may be able to figure out how our descendants will be able to survive in a hostile environment, just reply to this post "I'm in for 10,000,000"
You must not post who you donated to. If you disclose where your donation went to, you will be disqualified from this giveaway. If you post a link to this on the main page, you will be disqualified.

Have fun!

Comments

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭

Can't believe I'm the first to enter here, but here goes.................. I'm in for a cool 250. Thanks!

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused and yes i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.I donated a couple grand to a charities building fund this week.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

I'm in for 1000

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in for 375

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im in for 5. Kinda low on funds.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Didn’t donate cash but bought 5 new and donated 3 old winter jackets and personal hygiene kits to give out. I guess I’m on for 275 for new coats, 0 for my old ones and 0 for hygiene items. If any of you travel a lot for work or Personal and stay in hotels. My coworkers and I have spent hundreds of days per year (except for 2020) in hotels the last few years. So we collect the hotels hygiene items and put them in zip lock bags to give to those in need.

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for 785 - someone is going to be really happy with what I donated and my wife is even happier to see it leave!

Jim

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ho ho ho! I'm in and I donated $100 in children's toys to a woman's shelter in Trenton NJ and a $30 upholstered child's recliner chair to a needy child in my area. Thanks for the chance to win sumptin. I hope you don't get disciplined, suspended, sent to the box, placed in a corner, spanked, waterboarded, shackled or god knows what. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dropped a $20 in the red kettle today.
    Does that count?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I should check out the other forum offerings. I posted my giveaways on the main US coin forum. Oh well how. I have donated this year but can’t put a dollar amount so I’ll say some. And enter with that. Thanks

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in for $200. Had a surprise refund from the dental insurance because they overpaid the kids invisalign.

imageimage

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in for $2,000 — annual donation time. 🙂

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

Im in for $200

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for 1,500 . . . .

I wish I knew about the place below when I was in high school . . . .

I would be in a better place today . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

The trifecta of interesting. Inexpensive grey matter at the drive in, a sandwich "system" sounds delicious or Carr Lane! Merry Christmas. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

3 hours left.

• Options

Honey, where's my magic 8-ball? I need all the help I can get. Happy New Years eve to CU. Peace Roy

• Options

Giveaway closed.
    I'll try to get kitty to pick winners when he's awake.

• Options

Mrs. Chippy does not want to participate.

This leaves us with the backup plan, you all have to choose who wins what by yourselves. Let me know what you choose and PM me shipping details.

Remember to play nice with each other.

• Options

I vote namvet wins it all. Soldiers post 9/11 embraced the suck but were treated largely ok when we got back. Our Brothers in Arms who fought in Vietnam embraced the suck and got treated like shit when they got home. They deserve some thank you’s. IMHO

Thank you for the opportunity.

V/r
    Mike

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    edited January 3, 2022 10:09AM

I would like the Lexington commem in the wooden box if nobody minds.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Pm sent to @KindaNewish

• Options
    edited January 4, 2022 5:10PM

Silver has been claimed.

No can do on the everything to namvet, not fair to everyone else.
    Service is honored and appreciated.

I, and a lot of friends and relatives lost a lot more on 9/11 than a few months in the sandbox. Coins from my junk box is not an appropriate compensation for our loss.

• Options

Ni has been claimed.

• Options

I think jzyskowski would love the mexican 1/2 escudos @KindaNewish

• Options

Please I would appreciate it very much.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1
    Nice! Glad to see that someone wants free gold coins.

What have you done to deserve this?

• Options

Not sure about the few months in the sandbox comment…if you have not been a year at a clip but whatever. Thanks for the opportunity

• Options

I have held 3 giveaways last year. I have no gold. I’m a pensioner and silver is usually as far as I can reach.
    I will point out that a forum member thought enough to PM me and mentioned me to you. That’s all I got. Oh ya I am raising my 8 year old grandson and among other things he’s a YN. I am most proud of that.

• Options

Kowski gets the Gold!

Please PM your address,

• Options
    edited January 4, 2022 7:51PM

Thank you very much 👍🏼
    My first gold!

• Options

Thanks for the Commerative from my state even. It will be my only commemorative coin. I had a Vermont many years ago but think it got traded long ago.

• Options

giveaway closed. copper goes unclaimed.

• Options

This is the first I’ve heard about this and I think it’s wonderful. Even though I’m late I’m still going to donate $1,000 to the VA Rehab Center. My husband had an organ transplant gone wrong and they have been a life saver. So I’m glad to donate in the spirit of it all. I hope to meet you possibly at the LA show. Good luck and God Bless.

Kimberli

• Options

@Kiki50 Best wishes and a speedy recovery from one vet to another. All my care at the VA is very good. Welcome to CU. Peace Roy

• Options

@KindaNewish Thank you for your generosity. I got my Jeff today and it is quite nice. Have a good day and be safe. Peace Roy

• Options

Oh my !! Thank you so much! They are magnificent. I’m really kind of speechless. These pictures say it all. They are my first and shall be treasured by me and my 8 year old grandson YN. He’s observing this and learning a lot. Look 👀

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a cool giveaway.👍👍🏼👍👍🏼

Hoard the keys.