Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need recommendations for Nikon lens for coin photos

csdotcsdot Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭

Been using my iPhone up to this point, but have a perfectly good semi-pro level Nikon DSLR that we rarely use. I am wanting to get more serious about my coin photos, so need suggestions for what lens might be appropriate. My quick research suggests a macro lens in either a 85mm or 105mm length, but decided I should check with the experts here first.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get the 105. The 85 is a good lens but if you decide to get a full frame camera in the future you want a lens to take with you. The 105 is a good lens with a fair amount of working space for light. Some people prefer even longer focal lengths but I’ve been perfectly happy with the 105 for gold dollars to silver dollars.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get the Sigma equivalent (105) without AF, you will not need it for macro. Price difference will get you a nice coin also.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sigma lens works very well. I love mine.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2021 7:15PM

I use that exact 105mm and it is excellent. I went with a cheaper body without a an autofocus motor so I had to get this one to use autofocus. The autofocus makes life a lot easier. If you have a super high end body that has the motor, you can certainly get a cheaper lens without the motor.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2021 9:51PM

I use a Tokina MACRO 100mm F2.8 D with my D300 (on a Bencher Copymate II stand).

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

85mm won't be enough zoom. I started with a 105mm and still use it for large pieces (medals), but my go-to lens is a 180mm Sigma; the 150mm is also really good, though I haven't used it. If you use a copy stand, vibration reduction will be turned off (it can worsen photos when the camera doesn't have any shake), so a lens without it is not a problem.

@Raybo said:
    Get the Sigma equivalent (105) without AF, you will not need it for macro. Price difference will get you a nice coin also.

I use autofocus all the time. For some coins it can be a pain to get it just right, but it's way better than manually focusing over and over again, especially when being just a hair off can completely ruin a photo. That said, bear in mind that some lenses require an in-body autofocus motor and others lenses have a built-in motor. Higher end Nikons have the built-in autofocus motor and any lens can autofocus with them. The more consumer-level cameras don't. Be sure to check what your camera has and buy a lens accordingly.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 85mm DX lens is equivalent to a 127.5mm full frame lens. The 105mm is a full frame lens.

I converted to a mirrorless Nikon Z 105mm micro lens for smaller coins, but use a Z 50mm micro for full slabs and 3 inch medals.

So far I am quite happy with the results, but still have a lot to learn to get the lighting to look natural and to get the focus just right to avoid the slab plastic surface defects on occasion.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2021 8:19AM

If you decide on the Nikon 85mm DX lens, there is one used on eBay that also includes a Nikon L-37c UV filter for $375.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a DX sensor in the camera, then get a 105 mm. You can actually get a really good older manual focus 105/4 Micro-Nikkor for about $200. If you have a full-frame (FX) sensor, you'll want something longer than that. I use a 200 mm with mine, although the 105 comes out when I'm doing slab shots.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 7:22AM

@messydesk said:
    If you have a DX sensor in the camera, then get a 105 mm. You can actually get a really good older manual focus 105/4 Micro-Nikkor for about $200. If you have a full-frame (FX) sensor, you'll want something longer than that. I use a 200 mm with mine, although the 105 comes out when I'm doing slab shots.

I see you are using the same model camera as I do for coins. Good advice about older lenses because tour D7000 is one that will allow you to meter in manual. Auto-focus in not essential because it will focus on the slab, not the coin.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a D7100 and love it.
    I use an AF 105mm Micro (in auto) for slab shots, and a AF 60mm Micro plus PN-11 and PK-13 extension tubes (in manual) for the ultra-close VAM shots that are about 95% of what I do.

When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file