Home Sports Talk
Options

When did the CU Message Boards start?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

the message board HOF thread got me to thinking...

does anyone know when the CU Message board began? I heard Ricko mention a "great reset" of 2001. anyone know what that was?

does anyone know who the longest posting member here on the sports talk side is?

I know I lurked for quite a few years then joined in early 2013. I think I started reading the different forums around 08 maybe.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

They switched from the old board to this one in May 2001 I believe. I waited a bit before joining this one after the switch - Nov.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I originally discovered this place over 2 years ago, I was researching a rare boxing card one day, and I typed the name of the card into the Google box and someone had mentioned the card in a thread on this website and it brought it up in my search results. I clicked on it and it brought me here and that's how I discovered this place.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been registered for 17-18 yrs. Lurked for a couple years before that. Pre2001, all that material was not archived.

A lot of good and some stinkyPoo in those 20 years.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

does anyone know the true beginning date? the one before the 2001 reset? were the boards alive in the 90's?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    does anyone know the true beginning date? the one before the 2001 reset? were the boards alive in the 90's?

I wasn’t on in 2001 but I definitely remember a forum makeover shortly after I joined in 2004, the entire forum was outlined n blue if I remember correctly.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late 90s was the original but it was relaunched in 2001. I've been here since 2006.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2021 3:52PM

I don't know but there have been a few "Great Resets."

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2021 10:17PM

Does anyone remember the original URL? The current one has an archived version dating to February 2001.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a question that's been asked many times at the US Coin Forum and there has never been a satisfactory answer given. I would presume that PCGS knows/should know when they started their forums but they don't seem to want to release or acknowledge any information relative to its origin or inception date. to that end, all the "old timers" that were members before the change to what we know as the current iteration don't seem to know any hard-and-fast date. they all have stated they just knew they were members prior to the 2001 switch.

I joined in March of 2002, and all I know is that the forums started sometime between 1996-2001.

another good question is the date when PCGS eliminated the "Open Forum" which was a really big deal. I can't understand why there isn't some sort of History Timeline of this sort of stuff at the PCGS main page.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

another good question is the date when PCGS eliminated the "Open Forum" which was a really big deal. I can't understand why there isn't some sort of History Timeline of this sort of stuff at the PCGS main page.

I am not surprised there isn't a timeline.

I joined in 2018. Post open forum. I joined for coin reasons. Not knowing about the sports forum. Then found sports talk.

After a year or so , I noticed a lot of references to the old open forum. Then references to another site with forums .... The open forum refuge.... Where they had a coin forum, other forums, and, very interestingly, would often have threads mocking threads here and discussing the trolling they were doing here. And this was by people who were members here, some of whom were banned or soon to be banned. Anyway...