Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who else collects Judaea Capta coins of Rome?

The First Jewish Revolt against Rome resulted in the destruction of the second Jewish Temple. It was a hard-won victory for Rome, and the arch of Titus was erected to celebrate the taking of Jewish captives and spoils of the holy Temple. A series of commemorative coins were struck in gold, silver and bronze, commonly referred to as the 'Judaea Capta' series, depicting various designs, often with a subdued Jewish prisoner in mourning. Here's a less common example of great quality:

Divus Vespasian. Died AD 79. Silver Denarius. "Judaea Capta" commemorative. Rome mint. Struck under Titus, AD 80-81. Laureate head right / Victory advancing left, placing shield on trophy; below, Judaea seated left in attitude of mourning. This coin was struck after Vespasian's death bearing letters "S C" Senatus Consultum, by decree of the senate.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple and they are very historical and for that reason I like them. Yours is exceptional.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

thanks @bidask

here's another favorite, this one with the palm tree instead of trophy. The bust doesn't quite look like either Vespasian or Titus from many coins I've viewed.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wanted to pick one up. Those two are awesome.

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a couple more

Vespasian

Titus

Most Common Type (Vespasian)

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@atom said:
    Here's a couple more

Vespasian

Titus

Most Common Type (Vespasian)

great coins thanks for sharing

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

I don't have any Judaea Capitas, but I have a Bar Kokhba bronze from the Second Jewish Revolt, which features the palm tree (a symbol of Judaea). They were struck over foreign (Roman) issues.

Bar Kokhba Revolt, Year 1 (132-133AD)

Judaean rebel state. Bronze, 17.5mm, 5.92g. Grape bunch on tendril, ‘year one of the redemption of Israel’. Palm tree (the emblem of Judaea), ‘Elazar the Priest’ (Meshorer 224).

It refers to Elazar the Priest. No-one knows who he was - perhaps a rebel, or perhaps Eleazar in the Bible, the second High Priest and Moses's nephew. He played a key role in Exodus, the founding myth of the Israelites.

By contrast, this coin was struck by the Romans after putting the rebellion down...

Hadrian Denarius, 136AD

Rome. Silver, 3.05g. HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P. Winged Nemesis-Victory, drawing out the drapery across her chest (for her to spit into!) and holding a branch pointed downwards. VICTORIA AVG (RIC II.3 2239).

It depicts Nemesis-Victory, representing victory as divine vengeance for all excess. It’s a warning to rebels. She spits on her chest to avert evil influences, more specifically to encourage self-restraint in victory. Go too far and Nemesis could bring you loss and suffering as retribution.