Home Q & A Forum
Options

Why do people not know how to roll change and put in coin wrappers and take it to the bank?

JWPJWP Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 14, 2021 4:30PM in Q & A Forum

I love to search Bank rolls for West Point quarters, war nickels, and error coins. I usually find a couple strange coins in wrappers but this last time was really maddening. In penny rolls I found dimes, European coins, and pennies that looked like they had been experimented on in high school shop class. In nickle rolls I found pennies, European coins, game tokens, and whatever else they could fit into the coin roll wrapper. I found washers, tokens, destroyed penny's, foreign coins, and even a John Adams presidential dollar. Sometimes I find a roll short one or two coins and one time I found a quarter roll with 46 quarters in it, go figure. Pictures show the cut up coins, washers, and everything else except the kitchen sink the I found that one day. Also when I told the bank about all this mess, they kept all the destroyed coins. What do you folks think? ![]

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess you've never seen the reject slot filled with that stuff at a Coin Star. Surprise! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

No, I don't like paying to have my coins counted. But when they can't count to 40 or 50, Coin Star is their only option. I can only imagine what people think is money. But why would any one put a dollar coin in a quarter roll?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it's intentional. I've found watch batteries in nickel rolls. Just a chance to scam the bank or person who gets the roll.

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I was taught how to roll as a kid. No dead weights allowed. Fast forward 45 years to now and I'm tearing those same rolls apart. I went thru 15 rolls last night trying to complete my great grandmothers wheat penny collection. While I found a needed 1929-D and S, I've learned MM cents are not easy to come by.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options

That's a first for me, a watch battery! I just went through three rolls of quarters and this is the coin that I found today. It is really unbelievable what people will put in rolls and then try to short the role to save a penny a nickel a dime or a quarter. I will always come back to that roll of quarters where I found the John Adams $1 presidential dollar.

• Options

Banks used to require you to put your phone number on rolls when deposited, which, I assume, was to ensure that they were actually contained what they purported to be, instead of washers and foreign junk. Now, they never open them, just pass them along to the next roll purchasers, i.e. sucker.

• Options

So, fraud is OK with you as long as YOU don't get caught!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once I bought a bunch of nickel rolls at the bank (CWRs). One was noticeably shorter than most of the others - it was 5 nickels short. But, another roll was 5 nickels over. The teller just looked at me when we both saw the obvious short roll. :#

Another time I got a subway token in a nickel roll. The token was worth $1.25 in the turnstiles so I didn't complain.

Then another time I got a bunch of other denomination coins in a roll, but it all added up to the correct amount.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

My faves are the the cent rolls where they ran out of cents to fill the roll so they subbed dimes - one time a dozen of them.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@JBK Well, I'm glad you came out even. The time i posted about was around 25% short. The bank said that just one person brought the rolls in. Most times i agree it is just unintentional or not knowing how to count unless they they take their shoes off. This time it was intentional when you considered all the foreign coins, the washer, the game tokens, and cut and mutilated coins.

• Options

@SaorAlba The dime in a penny roll is funny. How about the quarter roll with John Adams in it. Really a $1 presidential coin in a quarter roll.