Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Holy Trinity!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2021 12:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Stack's Bowers wrote about the Holy Trinity of US Rarities recently in CoinWeek on November 9:

the 1913 Liberty Head nickel is considered part of the “holy trinity” of U.S. rarities.

Has the Holy Trinity term been used before? I did some Google searches and couldn't find a reference to it before this post.

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/famous-hawaii-five-o-1913-liberty-head-nickel-sold-for-over-4-million-by-stacks-bowers/

Feel free to post any Holy Trinity coins in this thread!

Here are some.

1804 Draped Bust Dollar - PCGS PR68 POP 3/1/0 - Sultan-Childs-Pogue Specimen

1894-S Barber Dime - PCGS PR66BM POP 4/2/0 - Daggett-Simpson Specimen

1913 Liberty Head Nickel - PCGS PR66 POP 2/1/0 - Eliasberg-Morelan Specimen

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather own gem unc and proof early gold 😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

What would be the Holy Trinity for gold?

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@bidask said:

1933 saint
    1854-s $5
    1822 $5

edited November 13, 2021 12:54PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@bidask said:

1933 saint
    1854-s $5
    1822 $5

1822 Half Eagle - PCGS AU50 POP 0/1/0 - Brand-Eliasberg-Pogue Specimen

1854-S Half Eagle - PCGS AU58+ POP 1/1/0 - Boyd-Eliasberg-Pogue-Hansen Specimen

1933 Double Eagle - PCGS MS65 POP 0/1/0 - Farouk-Weitzman Specimen

edited November 13, 2021 12:55PM

Alternates list:
    Proof King of Siam $10
    J-1776 $20

edited November 13, 2021 9:47PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    Alternates list:
    Proof King of Siam $10
    J-1776 $20

The King Rama III coin is really nice and is a very worth contender!

edited November 13, 2021 12:58PM

Early federal Holy Trinity:
    1804 PCGS PF68 Ex Childs as above
    1794 PCGS SP66 Morelan
    1822 $5 as above

edited November 13, 2021 1:13PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    Early federal Holy Trinity:
    1804 PCGS PF68 Ex Childs as above
    1794 PCGS SP66 Morelan
    1822 $5 as above

First two are good. For me, I don't really consider Capped Bust to be Early Federal. They are certainly older than the steam press coins designed by Gobrecht, but they are also different from the earlier designs to me, kind of transitional I guess.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 3:05PM

Well.......it is to me and any one else who has been searching a lifetime for this coin. The Holy Grail of all JNs.
    Leo :)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@bidask said:

Not Gold, but the holy Trinity for old coins:
    The Farthing, The Sen, and the holy Groat.

Thank you, thank you very much...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    edited November 23, 2021 3:19AM

@Zoins said:
    1894-S Barber Dime - PCGS PR66BM POP 4/2/0 - Daggett-Simpson Specimen

Here's a question. While the 1894-S dime has traditionally been held up as one of the top rarities, should the unique 1873-CC No Arrows dime take this slot in the Holy Trinity from the 1894-S dime?

1873-CC No Arrows Dime - Unique - PCGS MS65 POP 0/1/0 - Ex. Eliasberg

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

1873-CC No Arrows Dime, 1870-S $3, 1870-S Half Dime
    They all have one thing in common---each one is unique!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

edited November 23, 2021 3:54AM

@PerryHall said:
    1873-CC No Arrows Dime, 1870-S $3, 1870-S Half Dime
    They all have one thing in common---each one is unique!

Definitely great candidates!

1870-S Half Dime - Unique - PCGS MS64 POP 0/1/0 - Simpson

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each day I am reminded of the incredible coins you all own. I am also reminded that I play in a different sand box then many of you. Congrats on your achievements and thanks for posting pictures.

edited December 6, 2021 3:03AM

Here's CoinWeek's headline photo of Bruce @tradedollarnut's Holy Trinity!

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/finest-1913-nickel-acquired-by-greatcollections-in-13-million-big-three-thanksgiving-transaction/

GreatCollections.com said:
    The coins were owned by well-known collector Bruce Morelan, a partner in Laura Sperber’s Legend Numismatics, who acquired them individually over the past four years. Of the most famous U.S. coin rarities, these are widely considered to be the top three and have been referred to as the “Big Three” and “Holy Trinity” for decades. Only a few collectors over the past century have owned all three, including Louis Eliasberg, Col. E.H.R. Green, Dr. Jerry Buss, and Morelan.

While this list only includes 4 names, if the GC owner bought all 3, we have one more mystery collector!

edited December 5, 2021 8:24AM

@cameonut2011 said:
    Alternates list:
    Proof King of Siam $10

Do you know the King of Siam coin or the Sultan of Muscat coin? Or both? ;)

1804 Draped Bust $10 Eagle - PCGS PR64 - King of Siam

1804 Draped Bust $10 Eagle - PCGS PR65+ DCAM CAC - Sultan of Muscat

• ByersByers Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

I owned this unique Matte Proof Large Letters 1907 $20 STG for many years and is under-rated:

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
    edited December 5, 2021 9:09AM

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

I owned this unique Matte Proof Large Letters 1907 $20 STG for many years and is under-rated:

Wow! That is a great coin Mike! It would be great if the provenance said Trompeter-Byers ;)

The Top Three is a tough crowd. Given how underrated it is, as you mention, I'm not sure it can make it right now, but perhaps Top 10? Either way, it can use more marketing and a TrueView ;)

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, when did these three coins become the Holy Grails of numismatics? 1950’s or 1960’s maybe? They were certainly established by the time I was a collector in the 1980’s. I wonder why these rose to the top while other candidates did not. Maybe because of the popularity of the underlying series? The 1870-S $3 gold is worthy for sure, but there aren’t many date/MM collectors of $3 gold.

edited December 5, 2021 11:58AM

@savitale said:
    So, when did these three coins become the Holy Grails of numismatics? 1950’s or 1960’s maybe? They were certainly established by the time I was a collector in the 1980’s. I wonder why these rose to the top while other candidates did not. Maybe because of the popularity of the underlying series? The 1870-S $3 gold is worthy for sure, but there aren’t many date/MM collectors of $3 gold.

I'm curious as well. It would be interesting to see in what books / articles / ads these appeared in and how they became the coins to own for the VIP crowd.

Before the Internet-age, the top coins needed to have a few specimens available for people to see and chase. Now with the Internet and great digital photos, I think the more unique coins could see their stature increase.

For me personally, I can easily see the 1873-CC No Arrows Dime or the 1870-S Half Dime replacing the 1894-S Barber dime in the silver trinity. I'd lean to the 1873-CC No Arrows Dime because they are both seated but this coin is larger and a CC.

@savitale said:

My guess is because the pieces were available for public purchase. The 1870-s $3 is locked in a museum.

edited December 5, 2021 10:04AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@savitale said:

My guess is because the pieces were available for public purchase.

I agree. It's important for fame (discussion and marketing) for the coin to be available.

The 1870-s $3 is locked in a museum.

Technically, the owner is the Harry Bass Foundation, which isn't a museum, but it is an organization that lives longer than a collector. Of course, it's physically locked in the ANA Museum :)

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Each day I am reminded of the incredible coins you all own. I am also reminded that I play in a different sand box then many of you. Congrats on your achievements and thanks for posting pictures.

I too play in a different sandbox but my passion for my coins and medals. Tokens and currency is every bit as strong as most any member here.
    In another life I worked for awhile as a personal assistant for some very rich and famous people. It was then I realized that everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time. And how similar we all are. Happiness is the same rich or not.
    I’m with you. I enjoy others collecting stories and am amazed at the coins some of our members have. 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

edited December 5, 2021 12:21PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I too play in a different sandbox but my passion for my coins and medals. Tokens and currency is every bit as strong as most any member here.
    In another life I worked for awhile as a personal assistant for some very rich and famous people. It was then I realized that everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time. And how similar we all are. Happiness is the same rich or not.
    I’m with you. I enjoy others collecting stories and am amazed at the coins some of our members have. 😉

I was just talking to a contractor of mine who collects trade dollars. One thing he reminded me of is that regardless of whether the collector is @tradedollarnut, @DLHansen, my contractor or myself, we all surf eBay looking for deals, so we have that much in common. There should be a chat channel for us to chat in real time while we're surfing eBay or watching a HA/SB/GC/LR auction :)

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I was just talking to a contractor of mine who collects trade dollars. One thing he reminded me of is that regardless of whether the collector is @tradedollarnut, @DLHansen , my contractor or myself, we all surf eBay looking for deals, so we have that much in common. There should be a chat channel for us to chat in real time while we're surfing eBay or watching a HA/SB/GC/LR auction :)

That would make auctions fun. For now I will just continue to send out PM's when I see things my "friends" might want or need.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file