Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Montana RC opinions?

Freshly pulled from a cello pack, curious of the collective opinion and if it's worth sending in at the current $150 minimum? These are phone pics of the card inside a CS1.

Comments

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2021 11:15PM

Hey,

Seriously, That should be an easy 8, 8.5+, and to bad it isn't a OPC Rough cut, cause this a super pretty not perfect cut! Oh , and BTW, to answer your question about level to send it in at! I wouldn't bother to much about the service level, just send it my way, we'll work it out!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell if the top left corner has a ding or rub. But Cards looks fresh and good. Just too close of call from an 8-9. And 150.00 kills you if you get a 8 and it has a good chance of an 8 just because thats how it is now. I wouldnt spend 150. Maybe 50 and hope for an up charge whenever that is.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Agree with handyman.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty card but agree with others, best to wait, there will be a submission level available eventually that makes sense for a card like this.

• Options
    cgfalconecgfalcone Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I know this is a psa forum so maybe saying this is verboten but you could send it to sgc for $30. Obviously the resale value is significantly less but man might have a colony on the moon before psa prices drop down to reasonable levels again (kidding, sort of).

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 8:02PM

Wait it out unless you are trying to have a quick sale. Very nice card.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

If your not in need of money, set it aside in a safe place for a year or two then see where grading cost are at.

• Options
    voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

It's a gorgeous card. If it comes back an 8, a ridiculously strong 8. I like cards like this, that have some character and couldn't be a BGS sheet-cut. Looks like an easy 8.5 to me @ PSA. Beautiful card.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't know why people don't scan anymore (especially in threads where they want a grading opinion), but it is impossible to give an opinion on the card with that blurry bottom left corner.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    I really don't know why people don't scan anymore (especially in threads where they want a grading opinion), but it is impossible to give an opinion on the card with that blurry bottom left corner.

Scanners aren’t cool in the age of the Flipperboi, card has to go on a a little pedestal for an iPhone pic 😂

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

This would be an easy decision for me. Send it in for the $150. 8 is worst-case scenario. 9 is best. I don’t see any issues with the corners.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you need the cash I would hold until prices come back down.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    Unless you need the cash I would hold until prices come back down.

I would wait too, My luck I would get a 7.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous card. Wait it out for sure. With shipping it is $200 and the 50 years to get it back...I would certainly wait.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone! I grade packs much more than I've subbed cards, wasn't sure if the rough cut would be an issue. I know it's centered a little low, by my guesstimate about 56/44? But corners do look good to me... took a couple more closeups of each. My plan is to wait for now, if they introduce a sub less than $100 (or I get too impatient) I'll probably send it in. I'd hope for an 8.5, be thrilled with a 9... but expect a 7/8. Thanks again!

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I'd be upset if I subbed that and didn't get a 9

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous card, especially from this era! How does the rough cut factor into the grade? And is that chipping on the bottom edge?

The unfortunate reality is that this card, and the other epic cards that secure exponential value in higher grade, are likely graded with more rigorous standards.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

That card is a trimmers dream

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:

With the top right corner and the top edge a 9 would be like getting a 10.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@Jayman1982 said:

With the top right corner and the top edge a 9 would be like getting a 10.

Still looks like a 9 to me...

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I would probably send it in just because it's a nice Montana rookie. As far as what it grades I'm not sure anymore, I think it just depends on who grades it these days. I recently received a sub back where all the cards originally were graded by Beckett and broken out of their holders. My Montana RC and Rice RC both were BGS 8.5 and came back PSA 7 and my second year Montana was BGS 9.5 and came back PSA 8. Needless to say my remaining Beckett graded cards will remain that way.

• Options

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

There's a couple of print spots on the front. Most noticeably in the number six. Some sort of blue mark to the left of the one on the white of the jersey. I would guess PSA 7.5-8

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also a note is the oil stain under quarterback. ON back.
    Not sure how the new AI grades surface but it seems overly tough on surface as others have said.
    So I would wait wait wait.
    Nice card and I think it would have been a 9 2 years ago all day. No clue how they grade now.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

More of a shot at a 9 if it was any other player in the set. Nice 8 or 8.5, I’d wait for a better price/wait scenario then we have now. Could probably be a BGS 9. Probably not worth the $ difference for SGC, but that would be quickest for short money.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Still haven't sent the OP one in but I recently pulled another beauty... only issue with this one IMHO, small chip armpit height on left edge and some white "snow" in the print quality. Any opinions on this one?

• Options

Great centering. I’d send both in at the lowest level and pay the up charges.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dreaded light “snow” and slight L/R tilt (most noticeable at the bottom) that constantly plagues this card. Guessing you are looking at a MINT 9 PD. An 8 PD is worst case with those sharp corners and edges. Great card!

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

Def pay $30 then upcharge.

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the centering is great on that card. the snow will hurt it though. 10's are so so tough on this card

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.