Home Q & A Forum

Keeping Coins in the Rolls vs. Having Them Graded

So I have some rolls of silver coins such as ASE's, Maples, Etc. I'm wondering which would be a better long term investment: having them all graded now or keeping them in the roll?

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading is going to cost $30-60 per coin depending on volume. Unless you are certain that the coins will grade high enough to pay for the grading costs, grading is not a good idea..

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JWPJWP Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not have them graded either. Just make sure they are in a quality storage tube or an air tight holder.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• @JWP said:
    I would not have them graded either. Just make sure they are in a quality storage tube or an air tight holder.

Thanks buddy. Yeah i'm putting them in an airtight case with some silica. Deposit box already tarnished some bars I had gotten new last year.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2021 9:33PM

@Oldhoopster said:
    Grading is going to cost $30-60 per coin depending on volume. Unless you are certain that the coins will grade high enough to pay for the grading costs, grading is not a good idea..

True. Really don't know how much these coins were jostled around. Guess I can always have the tube poped down the line and have em graded. Might cost more than $60 a pop by then.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't bother. Virtually all will go 69 or 70 and the price difference is low. Not worth the fees.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

save your money to buy a nice coin

Frank

BHNC #203