Home Autographs Forum
Options

Stephen king autograph real or fake?

I recently purchased a ball with the autograph of author Stephen king on it. It came with a psa/dna card and sticker on it. I checked the psa website and the numbers etc matched up but there's no picture of the ball/autograph.
I think it's real but just thought I'd ask people with more experience than me what their opinions are. Does it look real?

Best Answers

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2021 6:22PM Answer ✓

I have a few Stephen King signatures and none off them look like that last name, but I am aware that the sort of abbreviated "King" shown above is apparently common on later signatures.

With that in mind, nothing looks particularly suspicious to me, and if it is PSA/DNA approved then there isn't much else you can do.

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two cents: I think it’s authentic but a more recent example.

• Options
    edited November 11, 2021 8:56AM Answer ✓

Here are two of mine that came straight from him, for comparison:

• Options

Here is mine.

• Options

@Jimk_5447 said:
    Thanks the seller said didn't give the date he had got it but said he got it after a baseball game Mr king was leaving a ball game at Fenway park.

Makes sense. King is known to have season’s tickets to every game and I believe he used to attend them all, not sure if he still does. He’s a very big Red Sox fan and his seats, if I recall correctly, were in the Green Monster section. A several years ago (probably closer to ten) he would occasionally sign autographs for fans that approached him at games, but he stopped doing this.

He now only signs selectivity at book events. For example, if you attend one of his book events, everyone gets one copy of his recent book, and 200 out of say 1000 people at the event end up with a signed copy (signed in separate area where fans are not present right before event). He started doing this about ten years ago. Before that he would sign a book for everyone at event but only the book that was recently released, no older books. In the 1990s he signed copies of any of his books, but up to two. He even allowed two per person ttm but that stopped in the early 2000s I believe. I never got to take advantage of this because I started collecting right after he quit signing ttm.

• Options

@Jimk_5447 said:
    Thanks the ball has some toning spots on it which prbly makes it less valuable but I didn't plan on selling it anyway. Its just cool I got something he really signed

It looks like an official ball, and those are ticking time bombs. You just never know how the leather and glues will age.

I have older signed baseballs that are white, overall toned light tan, or heavily spotted/splotched. There is no way to stop it or to predict what will happen.

I have a bunch of ROMLBs that
    I bought at Walmart a few years ago on clearance for $6 or $7 each. If I have a chance to get an important baseball autograph I'll use one of these older ones that have had a chance to age so I might stand a chance of using one that will remain stable.

The way I see it, an older ball that is bright white is worth a premium, and one that has some minor age issues is "normal".

Just keep the ball out of sunlight and away from florescent lights (including those CFL twisty bulbs).

Answers

• Options

Thanks the seller said didn't give the date he had got it but said he got it after a baseball game Mr king was leaving a ball game at Fenway park.

• Options

Thanks the ball has some toning spots on it which prbly makes it less valuable but I didn't plan on selling it anyway. Its just cool I got something he really signed

• Options

Ya it's an official major leave baseball. When I got it I put it in a mlb display case from Walmart and put it away out of the light. Hopefully that keeps it from getting worse

• Options

Thanks for all the comments

• Options

🙋🏻‍♀️ hi, i am new to this group. I would like to ask you for help. Whether this signature ist genuine. I mean both of them. Is it even possible?
    Thank you

• Options

Yes, those two signatures in that book are authentic.