Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1969 Topps Rak Paks: Legit?

Someone posted these on Net54, do they look legit and are the correct cards in each section?

Comments

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Bogus. The Grote, Beckert and Hughes pack gives it away. The first series in 1969 were cards from 1 to 109. No way would Beckert (#171) be in a first series rack pack.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2021 3:02AM

Yeah seems odd several are from 1-3rd series mix match. I vote no good but I am not a pro. And the punch hole in the last pack looks wrong

• Options
    1963ellsworth22and101963ellsworth22and10 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2021 10:47AM

I should have added that the owner now also believes the 1969 Topps Rak Pak with mixed series cards is bogus, he bought that one separately from the others and believes it is fake after closely examining it. ETA, the 1969 Topps second series is apparently 110-218 so the last two Rak Paks have all second series cards showing.

• Options

very interesting. A lot more info available these days than 15-20 years ago. I had bought a 69 rack with rod carew way back and steve ultimately said it was bad but it took a lot of deliberation back then. now it wouldn't even be considered.

question for the group, the op says he is going to ask for a refund from 22 years ago .......... thoughts?

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:
    very interesting. A lot more info available these days than 15-20 years ago. I had bought a 69 rack with rod carew way back and steve ultimately said it was bad but it took a lot of deliberation back then. now it wouldn't even be considered.

question for the group, the op says he is going to ask for a refund from 22 years ago .......... thoughts?

I think all reputable dealers should offer lifetime guarantees

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea if the ‘69 rack here is legit, but there are definitely mixed series racks that are legitimate. Many have two cells from one series and one cell from the subsequent one.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

I am curious at what he paid for these 22 years ago.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Topps has never been OCD about packaging their cards. Probably just transitional issues.

• Options

There used to be folks on this site that could answer just about any questions on these packs and how they were collated. I am pretty sure that these could be legit, as Topps would package these up prior to or even after their Christmas packs. By then all of the series were printed and distributed and even returned to Topps. We have learned to be suspicious and for a good reason. If this guy knows they are counterfeit, he should not be selling them as the real deal.

Previous CU user: jmmiller777
    Baseball HOFer's-PSA6+
    Heritage Sets
    Kellogg's Graded-PSA 8+
    60's Topps Sets-Raw
    Anything that Catches My Attention

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why Tim aka @grote15 hasn't weighed in yet? I know his expertise is in 70s and early 80s, but this is so close to his area I figured he might have an opinion.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look legit and authentic to me aside from 1 of them.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.