Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Series 2013 $1 Star Notes - Zegers/Winograd Project lives on!

The ERROR:
In 2014 and 2016, The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP), printed series 2013 $1 Federal Reserve New York star notes from two facilities, Washington DC and Fort Worth. This, in itself is not unusual. The unusual part is they duplicated some serial numbers. There are dollar bills out there circulating with the same exact serial number as another dollar bill! The only difference is one bill has an indicator showing it was printed in Fort Worth, while the DC note does not. When the government does it it's legal, when WE do it it's called counterfeiting... LOL.

The PROJECT (prior and NEW)
In an attempt to help currency collectors find a matching pair of notes, Mr. Ed Zegers of Maryland and Mr. Karol Winograd of Florida started a project (known as the Zegers/Winograd project) of recording all the serial numbers submitted to them by fellow collectors. To date, there have been 9 matching pairs confirmed. The Zegers/Winograd project ceased maintaining the list in September 2021, but I have stepped in and carried on where they left off. For lack of a better name, I called it "Project 2013B".

https://project2013b.blogspot.com/2021/10/welcome.html

Let's get matched!
Please let fellow collectors know that the Zegers/Winograd project lives on under Project 2013B. There have been reports of collectors spending their 2013B star notes after hearing that Zegers/Winograd had stopped updating their list. A matched pair could be worth thousands of dolalrs, with one matched pair recently selling at auction for $7200! The new 'Project 2013B' website has an online form that allows you to submit the serial numbers of any 2013B star notes that you might have. When a match is found in the database, the two owners will be contacted, and they can then decide if they want to get the notes together to be auctioned off (or simply kept as part of a collection). It's worth at shot at $7200+ !

https://project2013b.blogspot.com/2021/10/welcome.html

💵_(^ ̮ ^)/

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

A worthwhile project and a much needed organizational website. Thank you @PastExpiryDotCom !

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2021 11:08AM

Wow! What a great idea.

Thank you to the Keepers of the Knowledge for making the effort to reunite pairs. I'll be happy to tell holders of 2013B stars that their note isn't worth just $1, it's a lottery ticket, and always worth $1. Just go to this site and register it and maybe you will be a winner one day, or are one already.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PastExpiryDotCom thanks, this is an interesting project, worthy of my attention. I have hundreds of $1 star notes to check after the holiday dust settles. Project 2013B is bookmarked til then. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2021 2:34PM

Is it series 2013, 2013B, or both?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Is it series 2013, 2013B, or both?

Series 2013. There is no series 2013B. The “B” that’s being referenced is for the B district (New York).

• Options

So today, I entered 23 of these notes into the database. Got proper confirmations so that's good. More yet to do. Kinda interesting participating in this project. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

So I was submitting around 20x of my 2013 star notes and after I was done. I downloaded the Excel data sheet to see the list. I think I have a match but I haven't been notified yet.
    Am I correct or not?

received_625578692590180__01

• Options

Nice.
    What’s the process once a match is found ? Does one of the two owners of the matching notes make an offer to the other owner, or what ? I don’t see dual ownership working. And if that’s the procedure, how is a fair price determined ?

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Nice.
    What’s the process once a match is found ? Does one of the two owners of the matching notes make an offer to the other owner, or what ? I don’t see dual ownership working. And if that’s the procedure, how is a fair price determined ?

So here's what happened with my first match that went into the dark hole:
    GridArt_20220329_111029496

The admin of the website would email each of us first and ask us to take a picture of the front and back of the note with the present dates on it.
    After the admin confirms that both of us have the note. the admin will cc both parties and tell us that we can negotiate with each other and he will note be part of it.
    We were emailing each other for a month or so until the other party said she needed time to think about what to do next and this was around June of this year. I emailed her a couple of times since June and the last one was from last week but she has not replied.

hope this 2nd match works out.....

• Options

Update: The admin for the 2013 B note website sent me an email and asked me to take a picture of the front and back of the note.

• Options

@luckyrollers Well that's encouraging. Good luck. Is your note CU?

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    @luckyrollers Well that's encouraging. Good luck. Is your note CU?

Not at all. If I was to judge, I would say it's in good to fine condition.

• Options

@luckyrollers said:

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Nice.

So here's what happened with my first match that went into the dark hole:

hope this 2nd match works out.....

I would hardly say it goes "Into a dark hole" :smile: . One or two days might pass before I update the list with the latest submitted serial numbers, at which time I check for any new matches. The previous list owner updated his list only once a month.

As soon as a new match is made, both the DC and FW banknote owners are contacted, and the communications begin. The biggest delays are due to people that do not check their emails or do not check their spam folders. A few never respond, and who know how many might of died of Covid in the last few years.

Everyone can see the status of their matched pair here: bit.ly/3WNiAN2

As for determining value, part of my online spreadsheet contains past auctions and the grades of the bills that made up the completed pair. This will hopefully grow with time. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zXtCwywh4nvjbA5QadfA9EyNaZsetF08n07qyqYmJak/edit#gid=965607185

• Options

Hi all,

I just discovered the matching one dollar bills 2013B Project. I have submitted 2 bills. What's going on with this project?
    I have not heard from anyone. I noticed one of my bills is listed already on your site. This is almost May, 2023. How come these previous posts are so old? Who can I get in touch who runs this project?

• Options

@Yowza said:
    Hi all,

I just discovered the matching one dollar bills 2013B Project. I have submitted 2 bills. What's going on with this project?
    I have not heard from anyone. I noticed one of my bills is listed already on your site. This is almost May, 2023. How come these previous posts are so old? Who can I get in touch who runs this project?

You won't hear anything from the project until a match is found for your submitted serial numbers. Visit the site, read the blog... stay awhile... https://project2013b.blogspot.com/

• Options

This topic has been discussed previously. Use the search feature here and read all about it. Peace Roy

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any buyers for these?

• Options

Yes, there are buyers for these matched pair. PCGS even recognizes it as a production error, whereas PMG is slowly coming around to it.
    Here is a history of auctions that I am aware of: https://project2013b.blogspot.com/p/auction-history-for-2013b-matched-pairs.html

• Options

Thanks for the market info. I've entered my share. Peace Roy

• Options

Looks like someone added my 3 notes that I put up last month or so. But the good thing is that it stated that the info's are incomplete bc they didn't input the backplate numbers.

• Options

@luckyrollers said:
    Looks like someone added my 3 notes that I put up last month or so. But the good thing is that it stated that the info's are incomplete bc they didn't input the backplate numbers.

Be sure to add them yourself, otherwise there is no way to contact you if there is a match. Check the date the bills were submitted... if it was a year or two ago, it could just be whoever own the bills before you got them had entered them (then they either gave up, or one of their kids took the bills to buy crack).

• Options
    edited July 26, 2023 12:11PM

@PastExpiryDotCom said:

@luckyrollers said:

Be sure to add them yourself, otherwise there is no way to contact you if there is a match. Check the date the bills were submitted... if it was a year or two ago, it could just be whoever own the bills before you got them had entered them (then they either gave up, or one of their kids took the bills to buy crack).

Question: So i had two matches before but the first one never replied back.

Second one replied back but stopped after the 4th or 5th reply.

Since they matched and nothing has been done. Can I submit the notes again or it's a lost cause?

And I just submitted the new notes today.

• Options

Guess you'll have to set it aside until the other party is receptive or the note changes hands. I wonder if the project moderator sends out reminders? Peace Roy

• Options

@luckyrollers said:

@PastExpiryDotCom said:

@luckyrollers said:

Question: So i had two matches before but the first one never replied back.

Second one replied back but stopped after the 4th or 5th reply.

Since they matched and nothing has been done. Can I submit the notes again or it's a lost cause?

And I just submitted the new notes today.

I'm unclear on the sequence of events regarding your notes, and what you mean by "Match". Some people (probably not you) automatically assume they have a match simply if they see another serial number in the list that matches theirs, without going the extra second to notice that both serial number are for the same Fort Worth (or same DC note).

Without a serial number to comment on all I can do for now is explain what I do on my end.
    Once a matching pair is detected in my database, I contact each party. Once each party replies back with a photo of their bill (proof of ownership), I share the email address of each bill owner with the other bill owner. At that point I am out of the loop as I make the assumption I am dealing with two adults.

On a rare occasion I will contact one of the bill owners at the request of the other bill owner if they have stopped responding. Sometimes it could be that Bill Owner "A"s email ended up in email owner "B"s spam folder. It is 2023, and a depressing number of people STILL do not know the ins and outs of email. More often than not the other party got offended by the other owner's lowball offer to buy their bill. In on case, the broken english of one owner gave the other owner 'scammy' vibes despite the scammer re-sending a photo of his bill, with the current date AND a scan of his driver's license!

Hopefully you can appreciate why I do not want to get caught up in email-tag between two people.

In the cases where only ONE person has responded to me, and the 'other guy' is no where to be found, I make several attempts to contact him and use 4 different email addresses in case one of mine end up in their spam folder. If there is still no response, I try to find them online using their email address to see if the email address is tied to a workplace or random chat thread. Afte a month or so, the 'other' guy gets added to my "Missing in action" list on my website and is also included in a blog post I sent out monthly to my readers. After a year, they graduate to my Hall of Shame.

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Guess you'll have to set it aside until the other party is receptive or the note changes hands. I wonder if the project moderator sends out reminders? Peace Roy

Yes, I do. See my response to @luckyrollers

• Options

@PastExpiryDotCom Thanks for your explanation and all that you do. This is a worthwhile endeavor. Peace Roy

• Options

Without a serial number to comment on all I can do for now is explain what I do on my end.

Thanks for the reply!

The two notes I'm referring to are:

04710861 - I believe this note is the one that the owner never replied back.
    08417917 - This is the note that the owner stopped replying back after 4 replies back to back. We did not even discuss how much we each want the notes for or what to do with it.

Thanks for your help!!

• Options

@luckyrollers said:

Thanks for the reply!

The two notes I'm referring to are:

04710861 - I believe this note is the one that the owner never replied back.
    08417917 - This is the note that the owner stopped replying back after 4 replies back to back. We did not even discuss how much we each want the notes for or what to do with it.

Thanks for your help!!

08417917 - The owner of the Fort Worth never responded after multiple messages from me. He ('W10yi') is on my matchmaking list: https://project2013b.blogspot.com/p/matchmaking-missing-in-action.html

This serial number and member ID are posted monthly to my blog as well.

04710861, I am not sure why this one is an issue. It has already been verified as a matched pair here: https://project2013b.blogspot.com/search/label/04710861

I am a bit too busy to be monitoring the various numismatic forums, so it is always best to contact me through my website: https://project2013b.blogspot.com/2021/10/welcome.html