Home Q & A Forum

Old spot removal or carbon spot?

bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Once again I am back with a spot on a certified coin that I cannot identify. I wish there was some sort of database identifying examples of various blemishes and whether or not they should be of concern. This one wasn't viewable on the sellers pictures but I have bought coins from him in the past and have always been satisfied. Its a rather original looking walker, one of the last 3 needed to complete my short set. However right on liberties neck and shoulder is some sort of goldish/silver spot that I cannot identify. Barely noticeable until you tilt the coin. Is it just a carbon blemish or a spot removal that left gunk on the coin?

1943 S by the way.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a blob of something. Kinda greenish tint to me. Could it be pvc? Hope not. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    I see a blob of something. Kinda greenish tint to me. Could it be pvc? Hope not. Peace Roy

Thats my fear is PVC. I know it can show up after slabbing. However this appears way more gold and silver than green in hand. I have to believe it wasnt there when it was slabbed and sent to CAC.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea

But you’re not rectifying it while it’s in the holder.

Send it back with pictures.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what you're talking about ... other than that I cannot offer an opinion.