Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help with Ted Williams Clark & sons locksmith sets

Hi everyone,
I’m trying to find out a little more about some sets I picked up back in the 1990’s from an old time collector. Both sets are Clark & Sons Locksmith 4 card sets. I see online auctions in the past that they are from 1975 I think. I also see in the pop report that only 5 have been graded? My question would be is this a rare set? Or just cards that were mass produced and don’t have much value. Any info on value and quantity produced is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards lists the set for $12.50 (with Ted Williams being the majority of that). It also looks like you have both versions (being the address of their shop).

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Hey bowman54, I don't have any precise info, but I purchased both sets of Ted Williams when they were released in 1975, through an ad in Sports Collectors News. I vaguely recall the cards being pricey, but I was nuts about Teddy Ballgame back then. It was a typical post-career issue that tried to capitalize on the growing popularity of vintage baseball cards. The price was relatively cheap, commiserate with the cheaply-produced cards. I seriously doubt they made very many sets, and I would guess 500 - 1000, though I am just guessing.

The thing is, just as today, most collectors simply don't get very excited over post-career cards of players, no matter how scarce they are. The pose of Ted Williams is terrific, and from the looks of the slanted openings at the stadium, I know that to be old Comiskey Park.

Having said that, I for one appreciate post-career cards today if the picture is inspiring, and the design well-done. I liked the Clark & Sons Locksmith Ted Williams cards, though not enough to keep them 'til now. I sold those through SCD back in 1986-87. Honestly, I do not miss them.

In the end, these kinds of cards do not appreciate in value, but some collectors as myself simply appreciate them. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is it? Were the cards “pricey” or “relatively cheap”?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    bowman54bowman54 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Thanks for all the info. I thought they were pretty cool when I picked them up years ago but they have been in with a box of oddball issues that I haven’t rummaged through in a while. I do like most of the post career Archives issues of the old timers, I guess it’s a flashback to the vintage sets that I collect. Thanks again

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Ha, ha, ha. Dan, you got me. In my memory Clark & Sons were pricey for what they were, cheaply made cards with an albeit super posed action photo of Ted. For the price, the cardstock should have been sturdier, and the image reproduction crisper. Be that as it may, the cards were relatively cheap as compared to originals, natch.

By that time in my collecting, I had all of Ted's gum cards, Exhibit, Fleer, but missed my best chance at getting a nice 1954 Wilson Franks, much to my disgust. In recent years, my feelings for the Wilson are nowhere as strong, since noticing you only see the knob of Ted's bat in his swing, whereas with the Clark & Sons you're treated to a much nicer portrayal of Ted's swing. Had Wilson used the b&w action photo that accompanied the 1954 Topps # 1, that would have been vastly superior; colorized, of course. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)