Home Sports Talk
Options

Harbaugh’s streak continues

WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Sigh.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nooooooooooooooooooo. I wanted the big game to be a big game for a change. :s

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

It was an excellent game, MSU just played until the end.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man that was a tough one. Michigan fans are calling for Harbaughs head and it isn’t even Ohio State

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

All aside - that was a fantastic game! Up 30 - 14, Harbaugh's coaching should have made the difference and finished it out - Eh?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harbaugh is in a no win situation and fans are going to complain no matter what happens. There is an unusual parity in college football and in the Big Ten. The days of the Big Two and the 8 dwarfs is over.

There is such instant and immediate gratification that fans have at the traditional power schools... and even most college programs... that I am finding hard to watch and follow... The TCU coach, Gary Patterson, is legend and rebuilt the football program and after 20 seasons he is basically told by the AD that they are looking to replace him at the end of the season. That's rich... replace the guy that made what most thought was impossible happen. TCU played in the Rose Bowl... most would have argued H E L L would freeze over before that happened.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harbaugh is in a no win situation and fans are going to complain no matter what happens.

the reason fans complain is because of the "no win" in big games. Harbaugh as a Head Coach in NCAA Football is little better than average when you consider the school he works for. he might be at .659 but that just doesn't cut it when you consider that Harbaugh is 0-5 against Ohio State, 3-4 against Michigan State and 1-4 in bowl games. frankly, I'm surprised he's still coaching the Wolverines, that school deserves better than the mediocrity he has helped them earn.

I would say that Jim Harbaugh is Michigan's equivalent of John Cooper.

• Options

Should Michigan go into the OSU game with one loss, it will be a big game. UM went into the 1969 game with two losses... Missouri and Michigan State and managed to upset the Buckeyes 24-12. And Michigan lost the '68 game 50-14 when after a 4th quarter touchdown and a lead of 48-14, Woody decided to go for two (because he could not go for three...). While I think OSU is the better team this year, anything can happen and often does. Michigan holds a 58-51-6 advantage in the rivalry. And there have been streaks in the past that have been enjoyed by both sides.

Michigan has not completely wallowed in the stench of mediocrity as Keets suggests. To write that the Wolverines have been "little better than average when you consider the school he works for" is harsh. And we can look back at the UM program that went without a Big Ten football championship from 1951 through 1963 which many here probably either didn't know or appreciate. But even during that drought, they had some excellent teams and struggled against the Buckeyes and Spartans. Michigan had a tough time against the Spartans during the coaching times of Biggie Munn and Duffy Daugherty. But Michigan still holds a 71-38-5 lead against Michigan State.

Harbaugh has finished 10-3; 10-3; 8-5; 10-3; 9-4; 2-4 and is 7-1 thus far in 2021

All programs experience cycles that measure greatness and even what can be accomplished in a so-called rebuilding year... which can turn into rebuilding years or worse and traditional powerhouse programs are no exception. College football has changed... we have expanded and larger conferences are the new norm and there is greater parity now more than any time in the history of the game. I never anticipated that the Big Ten would change as it has. I can recall the conventional wisdom that when Penn State was added to the conference, they would emerge as the dominant football power... and that did not happen. Not all of the perennial powerhouses have handled this transition well... USC...Texas... Nebraska and even Tennessee have failed to meet the expectations of their fan base. And in looking at UM... and how upset their fan base might be... it seems they have been more competitive than the previous 4 schools. And in all fairness, there are other schools that could be included that have not faired well either.

So fire Harbaugh and find out if the UM program will be better or worse off. Should that happen, I predict UM will be worse off and in search of finding a bottom whereby misery will replace what some see as mediocrity.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

NCAA football is not much different than the NFL in one prime area....................money. Harbaugh doesn't answer to the fans , he answers to the Alumni who make the big donations and want their names on buildings. it's those Alumni who have to answer to the fans when they're in their meetings. Jim Harbaugh has two real duties as the Head Coach aside from the games: teaching and recruiting.

in the end, all the above work together to get the best High School athletes in the Country to come play at Michigan, or others to transfer. has that been happening since Harbaugh has been the HC?? right now there's a big talent drain South of UM, it starts with Alabama and ends with The Ohio State University.

• Options

The 2021 Michigan win over the Buckeyes does not surpass the 1969 upset or the Snow Bowl win in Columbus in 1950, but it will leave a lasting impression on a younger generation.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even close. The team up North winning this year was not a big surprise to me. And don't ever remind me of 69 again. Unless you are talking 69.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Talking 69 should help put all of this in perspective.

The 1969 Buckeyes may have been the most dominant team in the history of their program. Had they won, they should have been worthy of the National Championship for the second straight year. But would they have been awarded the National Championship had they beat Michigan?

At that time, The Big Ten had a no-repeat rule so they were not able to make a return trip to Pasadena to play the Trojans. Could have the Big Ten changed the rules to send the Buckeyes had they won? Clearly they were the best team in the conference and would have been the better choice than sending either Michigan or Purdue- Further, had the rules not changed and the Buckeyes finished 9-0 could they have repeated without playing in a Bowl Game? Also keep in mind that at that time Big Ten teams, by the so-called rules of the conference or whatever... were not eligible to play in other bowl games. So there were some significant questions that never materialized.

I saw the game on ABC. I saw the Buckeyes literally destroy the Boilermakers on ABC the week before 42-14. Clearly, the Buckeyes were the best team in the Country at that time. After the Purdue game, the Buckeyes seemed to be a team of destiny which never materialized. Instead, after Thanksgiving the attention turned to the memorable Texas-Arkansas game which the Longhorns won 15-14.