Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which grade marker is the toughest to achieve?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, in all the ones listed, which one would you say is the most difficult? Thanks guys

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Which grade marker is the toughest to achieve?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of it depends of whose definition you use. NGC has always had stricter definitions than PCGS and CAC. I do not remember what the old ANACS standards were.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 10:08AM

It also obviously varies by date and mint. There are some notoriously super tough coins in the series that use those strike modifiers for each series.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the pop reports. 😉

Obviously, the degree of difficulty in obtaining the designations varies significantly by date.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2021 10:55AM
    The Full Bell Lines

My vote would have to be FBL.
    Those can be very tricky in determining. Some companies, like mentioned above, are more lenient than others, sure. As in the other 3 categories. I get that. But for the self examining standpoint, The FBL, for me, would be the hardest. Thanks guys. That's the only good thing about the 2004, 2005 nickels. No STEPS to worry about checking! Lol

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Check the pop reports. 😉

Obviously, the degree of difficulty in obtaining the designations varies significantly by date.

Not sure you can ascertain that data point from the pop reports seeing that submissions and market preferences combined with quality/price point avg of the submissions is influenced by outside factors. One service simply have gotten a greater share of better quality submissions

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@MFeld said:
    Check the pop reports. 😉

Not sure you can ascertain that data point from the pop reports seeing that submissions and market preferences combined with quality/price point avg of the submissions is influenced by outside factors. One service simply have gotten a greater share of better quality submissions

I was thinking of both PCGS and NGC pop reports, combined. Between the two, I think you’ll get an excellent indication of the relative scarcity of each designation compared to undesignated examples. And that still takes into account that many coins aren’t worth the cost of grading. Some of them aren’t submitted for grading, but many are.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2021 12:02PM
    The Full Bell Lines

@MFeld said:

... And that still takes into account that many coins aren’t worth the cost of grading. Some of them aren’t submitted for grading, but many are.

Many of coins in MY collection can verify this. Here's two examples;

PF.68

Didn't care for the grade but just the CERTIFICATION

Another

Here's one of my other "not worth grading" coins.

Jefferson 2005d ms 65 FS

I was shooting for the ms 67. Oh well.
    However, I did achieve the FS designation. :/

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is a date in each series that is equally as tough to get the designation you are talking about. There are also dates in each series that are easy to get the designation. If you want the answer as a for type I would just go to the POP reports and determine the percentage of the pop that got the designation and draw my conclusions from there.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    It also obviously varies by date and mint. There are some notoriously super tough coins in the series that use those strike modifiers for each series.

Sounds like this nailed it. Check mark this box for me.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admit, I didn't expect the first picture in this thread to be an Anthony. Naturally, I had to look to see who spammed the OP's thread. . .

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Full Head

It always varies by date and mint , but I think FH SLQ are generally tough across the board.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some years are better/worse than others for strike quality. Some locations are are better/worse for strike quality.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Full Head

In my experience, FH is the toughest and great to see. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file