Home Q & A Forum

Why are some listings posted with out prices

JWPJWP Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found items for sale with out the price and kinda wonder why? It seems that the only way you can get a price is to PM the seller. Are they trying to adjust the price with out open disclosure, or are they afraid of competing with other sellers in the open. I'm just curios if some one has an idea why some sellers do not list their price.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Comments

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Draw you in so you end up looking at their other listings that do have prices???

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that's necessarily true. It is uncool to negotiate in public, that's what the PM tool is for. If one doesn't know what something is worth to them, they're just looking. IMO. I do the research in order to form an offer. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand what you're saying. What I'm referring to is when the seller lists the post and they don't list the amount and then you have to p.myhe seller to find out how much they're asking before you can go ahead and negotiate via a private offer through a p.m. if the price was listed in the initial post by the seller it would then eliminate a lot of extra messages going between the buyer and the seller.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a number of reasons that I have seen.
    ~Some just don't want to disclose the price.
    ~Some have different prices depending on who the buyer is
    ~Some don't want another seller to undercut them by a few dollars (common on things like US mint releases or bullion)
    ~Some have always done it that way because it must work for them

My thought as Well. Jon

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a member of two other forums, Corvette and Cameras, both require a price when posting items for sale. I was surprised when that wasn’t the case here.

I can not agree with you more Herb. I just went to a listing that has something for sale that I'm interested in and no price is listed. Do I PM the person to find out the price , but then i have to wait for the seller to PM me back, hopefully with the price, but no guarantee the seller will. It is kinda l like going to wally world and you have to find an employee to ask the price of an item that no one bothered to mark the price on the shelf. Is this getting to be the norm?

• Hey, it's called capitalism...Buyer beware!