Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Has anyone tried taking macro shots of coins with the iPhone 13pro yet?

My getting-long-in-the-tooth phone isn't quite dead yet and I still have a serviceable camera set up (that is very dusty at the moment), but looking forward I'm curious if the iPhone (or other cell phones) have come along enough for excellent photos. Debating about getting the 13 pro or holding out for the next generation for an even better camera.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the iphone 12 pro max and it takes serviceable macros. Below is one of them.

But the iphone 13 is supposed to be REALLY good at macro & apple has marketed it as such with its camera. Part of me wanted to update to 13 but my 12 is running fine & I will wait for 14.

But if you need a phone now, get it as I doubt you will be dissapointed.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stupid me, I was able to upgrade to the regular iPhone 13 for only $50 and at the time, didn't know about the macro capability of the Pro. So I missed out! I'll have to buy one of those clip-on adapters or something.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2021 7:10PM

I can try tomorrow with my parent's phone. I got the 13 mini but they got the 13 pro.

Macro is just a closeup/zoomed in shot correct?

These were taken with my 13 mini
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13081773#Comment_13081773

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    I can try tomorrow with my parent's phone. I got the 13 mini but they got the 13 pro.

Macro is just a closeup/zoomed in shot correct?

These were taken with my 13 mini
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13081773#Comment_13081773

That would be neat if you could take some shots with both, just to see if there is much difference. Last time I used a phone to take photos it was probably an iPhone 8. Then I got my camera set up. But that is getting old so it would be nice if my next phone would also be my next coin camera.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am amazed at the quality pictures my 12 Pro takes. Never really tried a Macro with it though.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

you guys have way tooooo much expendable cash...
    for that $$$ you can buy a real macro lens for your old Cannon or whatever.... a good one to boot..
    so why fuzz with an item that pretends to be a phone??

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@YQQ said:
    you guys have way tooooo much expendable cash...
    for that $$$ you can buy a real macro lens for your old Cannon or whatever.... a good one to boot..
    so why fuzz with an item that pretends to be a phone??

I need a new phone soonish, and I suspect my camera isn't going to last a whole lot longer. I mean I could get a new phone and a new camera body (bellows and lens are okay, and the stand/lights too of course) but considering the price of a phone it might be nice not have to replace the camera some day too.

• Options

@bronzemat said:
    I have the iphone 12 pro max and it takes serviceable macros. Below is one of them.

But the iphone 13 is supposed to be REALLY good at macro & apple has marketed it as such with its camera. Part of me wanted to update to 13 but my 12 is running fine & I will wait for 14.

But if you need a phone now, get it as I doubt you will be dissapointed.

That is pretty darn nice.

• Options

Sorry for being late. Was focusing on getting my college apps finished and submitted the last couple days.

Here are the pictures. Sorry for the lighting variations. I'm terrible at taking pictures compared to you guys.

My 13 mini is on the left and my parent's 13 Pro on the right. I took pics of 2 capped bust quarters and a seated half dime. I will say the pro was extremely frustrating when taking pics of the tiny half dime. It kept doing stuff I can't really explain.

I'm open to any suggestions on how I can improve on my photography so I can provide more accurate comparisons.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

To test the Macro try this. Take a picture of just the date as large as the pictures of the coin you posted.

• Options

@Kliao said:
    Sorry for being late. Was focusing on getting my college apps finished and submitted the last couple days.

Here are the pictures. Sorry for the lighting variations. I'm terrible at taking pictures compared to you guys.

My 13 mini is on the left and my parent's 13 Pro on the right. I took pics of 2 capped bust quarters and a seated half dime. I will say the pro was extremely frustrating when taking pics of the tiny half dime. It kept doing stuff I can't really explain.

I'm open to any suggestions on how I can improve on my photography so I can provide more accurate comparisons.

Thanks! I really don't see that much difference and don't think it's ready to supplant my elderly camera set up. My new plan is to NOT go for the 13pro when my phone finally gives it up. Plus my laptop is fading fast (just realized I am about out of room on it...will need to offload some stuff but still, it's old enough to be in the first grade). A new laptop is unlikely to have a functional USB port that my camera needs, plus who knows how long Canon is going to be updating the software.

My best bet is to probably get a new laptop, dedicate this one to the camera only and stop trying to update the OS and the Canon software which is always an 'adventure'. If the laptop and camera can work another couple years perhaps then the NEW new camera phones might be good enough to replace.

Those photos are really helpful though, it does not seem I need to waste the resources on the higher quality phone just yet!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    To test the Macro try this. Take a picture of just the date as large as the pictures of the coin you posted.

Thanks for the tip. Will try again when I have some time.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2021 9:48AM

this was taken just now with my 13Pro with the wide angle lens (macro mode) under less than ideal lighting conditions. im sure if I play around with it more I can get better detail.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

Thanks!