Homeβ€Ί U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Soooooooooooooo close to a ladder note!!

luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭

Found this note yesterday. So close on being a ladder note!!! πŸ˜‘πŸ€¨πŸ˜•πŸ’©

This is a keeper in book, just to remind myself that one day I will find a ladder note!!!

Also, I researched on eBay that this similar note does sell on eBay. That's a good sign right?

Comments

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

I have a few of those. Once you've been searching for a few decades you find that the "so-close" are actually pretty common (especially compared to the spot-on). No wonder they're so pricey.

• Options

I just noticed your question:
    "Also, I researched on eBay that this similar note does sell on eBay. That's a good sign right?"

-I don't know. I wouldn't take the data you get from "planet eBay" too seriously. Remember, you can sell whatever you like on that platform & ask whatever you like. Does that mean these sell for what some people ask? Yes, Maybe & No. Might be interesting to list it for a low $1 start & see where it goes (its true auction style listings that are becoming less & less common).

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty neat find.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice circulation find Vince.
    I used to work in retail and handled a lot of cash. I’ve personally found circulated Radars, Repeaters and partial ladders. Finding a full solid and/or a full up or down ladder is nearly impossible. I’ve heard of collectors finding them, but it’s rare. Most are discovered in new packs. This note is similar to Lucky’s note and was purchased off of eBay.

• Options

The only time I handled a lot of cash was when I was 16 & worked at a car wash half a century ago. I started collecting 2 years before that & although I handled a lot of cash I never saw any low serial numbers, Million # notes nor any solids radars. I had no idea anybody collected their banknotes at the time & this was before any catalogue was published so I had no idea about ladars, radars or any special numbers. but a low #, million # note or solid would have definitely struck me as odd (& a keeper). I did find one replacement (an *R/E $2 (1974) in AU to UNC) but that was about it. I had no idea it was a replacement until I saw a catalogue in our local library.

My enthusiasm for collecting ebbed & waned throughout the years. I finally got much more interested (enthusiastic) about 20 years ago when our Journey series arrived (I noticed how poor the paper substrate was wearing out). Plus we had a huge garage sale after my dad passed away so lots of cash passed through my hands. But no special serial numbers. That's when I got my 1st catalogue & I started to "recycle" thousands of dollars worth of notes in search of a radar or special SN. I would say that I have checked at least 100,000 notes (I have entered 62,000 notes in the CPMF SNDB but have dealt with twice that many). I've had a few close calls but nothing that compares to this:

-which I actually got in change! So, while I searched & searched thousands of notes, one lands in my lap by a simple commercial transaction. I know its not in the best of shape but still a keeper just for sentimental reasons. And it just goes to show when you're talking such poor odds (of finding anything) than just about anything can actually be rewarding. Strange I know, but its the luck of the draw (& the terrible odds of actually finding something special).

• Options

Wow, solid 8’s ! Excellent circulation find @Serial_no_8.

• Options

Thanks @Steve_in_Tampa :) (I got it from Lotto ticket change at a drug store). Stuff like that - one never forgets.
    Anyway, sorry @luckyrollers , didn't mean to hijack your post, just wanted to illustrate how one can recycle over 100,000 notes but only come up with a few significant finds (low #2 & a couple 2 digit radars) & then 'boom' something like that solid 8 from change. No ladders to date (though I rarely recycle much these days).

• Options

What a coincidence. I found this today while on a walk. It was crumpled and halfway submerged in a mud puddle. I took it home and cleaned it up the best I could. It’s the same length as a legit $10 but a tad less tall. The signatures are supposed to mimic the series 1995 notes with Withrow/Rubin. It kinda looks real from ten feet away, but the closer I got, the more I realized it was Play Money. My first full up ladder.

• Options

Ha, ha: a real paper money collector's "trick or treat"

• Options

This 2015 commemorative $20 (short run) was a bit of a disappointment.

• Options

@Serial_no_8 said:
    Thanks @Steve_in_Tampa :) (I got it from Lotto ticket change at a drug store). Stuff like that - one never forgets.
    Anyway, sorry @luckyrollers , didn't mean to hijack your post, just wanted to illustrate how one can recycle over 100,000 notes but only come up with a few significant finds (low #2 & a couple 2 digit radars) & then 'boom' something like that solid 8 from change. No ladders to date (though I rarely recycle much these days).

No worries! I don't see this as hijacking my post. I see it as posting info on what we love!

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    What a coincidence. I found this today while on a walk. It was crumpled and halfway submerged in a mud puddle. I took it home and cleaned it up the best I could. It’s the same length as a legit $10 but a tad less tall. The signatures are supposed to mimic the series 1995 notes with Withrow/Rubin. It kinda looks real from ten feet away, but the closer I got, the more I realized it was Play Money. My first full up ladder.

Congrats on the find Steve!!!! LOL

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:

What a rush it must have been!