Home Sports Talk

Seaver and Ryan or Johnson and Clemens?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

which duo would you take to anchor your rotation?

two of the best Flame throwers of the 70s and two of the best from the 90s.

Give me Rocket and Unit. they may not throw quite as many innings as the other two, but you have a righty and a southpaw.

all 4 have great longevity, but I think Clemens and Johnson have better peaks.

what do you think?

they can almost be considered contemporaries. seaver and clemens were teammates for 1 season, ryan played against or with the other 3.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Johnson & Clemons but ideally I’d ask for Johnson & Maddox

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Johnson and Clemens would get more wins over the course of a season.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Maddox also a great choice. I tend toward the power pitchers personally

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

Nothing wrong with that buddy 👍🏼

@perkdog said

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

Nothing wrong with that buddy 👍🏼

Isnt it interesting that when Maddux and Clemens retired they were only one win apart?

354 for Clemens and 355 for Maddux

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

After moving to Dallas /Fort Worth and getting to know more about Ryan, particularly during his time working for the Rangers, I am a big fan of his as a pitcher. I watched a bunch of Clemens and Johnson during my life, and Clemens is my favorite pitcher ever (and my candidate for GOAT pitcher) so I would choose them. My top two are Clemens and Martinez.

• zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭

Ryan and Johnson

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-

@thisistheshow said:
    After moving to Dallas /Fort Worth and getting to know more about Ryan, particularly during his time working for the Rangers, I am a big fan of his as a pitcher. I watched a bunch of Clemens and Johnson during my life, and Clemens is my favorite pitcher ever (and my candidate for GOAT pitcher) so I would choose them. My top two are Clemens and Martinez.

I agree with Clemens for GOAT pitcher. no one was ever better for longer.

Pedro had an insane peak, But he fizzled too soon.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never understood the buzz about Nolan Ryan. I get the part about the blazing fastball and the no-hitters but he wasn't consistent and actually he was often quite mediocre. He did hang around for 27(?) years and that's quite an accomplishment. It's also the reason for some of the big career numbers he posted. I always wondered if he was so great why did the Mets unload him to the Angels. Once he got to the Angels and I watched him pitch I think I had my answer. Probably just me.

• FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

Johnson & Clemens.

@Hydrant said:
    I never understood the buzz about Nolan Ryan. I get the part about the blazing fastball and the no-hitters but he wasn't consistent and actually he was often quite mediocre. He did hang around for 27(?) years and that's quite an accomplishment. It's also the reason for some of the big career numbers he posted. I always wondered if he was so great why did the Mets unload him to the Angels. Once he got to the Angels and I watched him pitch I think I had my answer. Probably just me.

Ryan had some very very good years: 72-74, 77, 81, 87 were all very good seasons.

had he learned to harness the fastball earlier, he could have been a true monster.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget that when he came up, Randy Johnson had the same wildness issues that Nolan Ryan had early-on. Ryan was very wild with the Mets. It wasn't until he was traded to the Angels, and was coached by Tom Morgan, that he learned to control his pitches.

Johnson went to Ryan, and Ryan gave him pointers that helped him harness his pitches, and basically turned his career around.

Steve

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seaver, Clemens, and Johnson were all-time greats. Ryan was very good. Those dismissing Clemens because of suspicious PED patterns should really take a look at Ryan's age 35-39 seasons and those age 40+. I'm not accusing him of anything, but if Ryan retires after the 1986 season, or really any time before his 40th birthday, it's hard to make a case for him in the HoF. He would have received Cy Young votes six times in twenty seasons.

My theoretical Ryan is in a group that includes Tiant, Cone, Saberhagen, and even Gooden. Good pitcher. Not a HoFer. Whatever magic happened on his 40th birthday pushed him over the line, but he's always been sexier than effective.

Clemens is no more suspicious than Ryan or Johnson. not one bit. the difference is he had a disgruntled former employee who was being pressured by the Mitchell committee to give them dirt for a report they were being paid a lot of money to make. they needed a "face" for the report. They found Macnamee and used Clemens. I have been over it a dozen times, no credible evidence against Clemens.