Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What grade can this coin could get?

Hello,
This coin is from some that I recently bought.
I been saving some coins that would like to sent to be graded, would like to hear your opinion, what grade can this coin can get?.

See some images below:

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very hard to tell, but appears to have been cleaned. Maybe AU Details?

Max Pesos are bringing good money now!

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2021 4:42AM

@pruebas said:
    Very hard to tell, but appears to have been cleaned. Maybe AU Details?

Max Pesos are bringing good money now!

I hope not, the coin in hand it is way nice, what traces can you see? could be the photo? the coin has all the steel blue patina/toning on both sides, and semi PL, for what I can tell.

But still if end up that, worth send it for grade (for this coin type to PCGS or NGC)?.

Thanks!

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

From the photos, it looks like an AU with an old cleaning to me also

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading from pictures is HARD. However, for the type, the hair is very well delineated, same as ears and sideburns (the moustache is not so lucky). That is unusual. Both eagles' breasts are also preserved and the wings on the supporters are quite nice. The engravers/designers names are clear. The monograms are readable. Many, many contact marks. My guess? low MS. That said, I cannot comment on the details issue because in that regard the pictures are difficult to judge.

• Options

@jdmern said:
    From the photos, it looks like an AU with an old cleaning to me also

Thank you, nothing about that was on the description of the coin, wow. Like for example on your site (as many other places where I have bought coins), it can say 'damage', 'old cleaning', etc...

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU, old cleaning. The surfaces just don't look original.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

10-4
    Thank you guys for your feedback, I can see it is not easy to know, will kept the coin for a while as-is then, no need to be graded, per all comments above.

• Options
    edited December 13, 2021 11:58AM

Just an update on this coin, I know that I mentioned to not send this coin to be graded, but since when I bought the coin, on the description had the "AU58, among of with a semi-prooflike fields, covered with steel blue toning on both sides"... And will stop at this last part, have a look at the end result from PCGS:

I need it to do this, to make sure, so now that's what I got :(.

Will try to sell the coin as-is.

Again thank you guys!

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO even though it has altered surfaces there is value in having it slabbed by PGCS as the buyer will know it is a genuine coin. Thanks for the update!

K

ANA LM
  • Options

I end up putting the coin for sale, but at the same time been thinking to send the coin for restoration, my idea when I bought the coin was to try to make a small set of these Maximilian era coins, will better worth sending it to restoration?

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think you can restore anything there after the surface has been altered.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the altered surface, kind of rough because of the cleaning?

• Options

@Herb_T said:
    Is the altered surface, kind of rough because of the cleaning?

The surface looks semi-prooflike, the coin in hand it is way nice (I know the photos do not help at all), too bad it came up with that no grade, and also that PCGS do not provide any description (and I understand why) of what they found.

My guess is the term 'laquered' maybe base on this spot:

And per a PCGS video related to the 94 - Altered Surf, I may end up keeping the coin, if it is not sold as-is.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally “altered surfaces” indicates that the entire surface texture is manipulated, so that “semi-prooflike” appearance would likely be due to that manipulation, and not original to the coin.

• Options

@Rexford said:
    Generally “altered surfaces” ...

Thank you, I am taking all these as a learning process, as all the comments here too.

I am also taken out the coin for sale on the bst.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Altered surfaces can be a frustrating description and no grade to receive.

But something seems to have stripped the original luster away on your coin. I’ve seen an old wipe with a jeweler’s cloth leave proof like surfaces so wonder if that was done here (although I don’t see hairlines, but sometimes those only come put in photos at certain angles)?

Regardless, restoration isn’t going to be an option here.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

I am going to post these photos here:

In hand, and using a 16X loupe, you do not see any alteration.

• Options
    RSPRSP Posts: 64 ✭✭

Considering this as a learning process is a very intelligent thing to do. I recommend that you not sell it until you can find out exactly why the coin failed to grade. Then and only then will you have learned something very valuable. This will require in person inspection by several knowledgeable collectors or dealers. Go to a coin show, have fun! One of the first coins I ever bought turned out to be couterfeit. Fool me once, shame on you.........
    RSP