Home Sports Talk
Options

I've been fighting with my phone!

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I've been logged into the forum since this morning but could not get here to post for the last 3 and a half hours, my phone cut off my access to internet because of something called "DNS server not responding", and this isn't the first time it's happened. It has done this multiple times and it usually takes hours to sort itself out. Has anyone else experienced this DNS problem? This is an example of what it looks like when this happens:

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double D is this a stunt because you used up all your CU Sports Talk vacation time 🧐

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Double D is this a stunt because you used up all your CU Sports Talk vacation time 🧐

No stunt, I'm serious, it does this every now and then. I actually did a thread about this about a year ago and I had to use my wife's phone to post, I'll see if I can find the thread.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Server DNS address could not be found" is the error you get when you don't actually have internet access. Either your wifi is jacked up or your cellular service is jacked up. Most likely the wifi. If you're at home, reset your home internet (usually unplugging and replugging it - not the router but the actual cable modem). If you're not at home turn off your wifi and see if things start working.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2021 3:56PM

Save the turmoil for the wife. Either way you lose but sometimes the old
    lady feels guilty and wants to make up. 💋 .....Phones never do that.

• Options

I've been at home and I kept unplugging the wifi over and over again trying to get it to work and it finally started working after about 3 and a half hours.

• Options

Here's the thread I started about this problem back in July of 2020.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12654738#Comment_12654738

• Options
    edited October 27, 2021 4:08PM

@doubledragon said:
    I've been at home and I kept unplugging the wifi over and over again trying to get it to work and it finally started working after about 3 and a half hours.

When that happens to me?.......I just drive up the road for a 6 pack. And wait for The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant to fix it and make everything o.k......never takes 3 1/2 hours. When I get back. I pull up a lawn chair, sit back, and watch her on the roof messing with the dish. Puts a kink in my neck sometimes but I don't care. It's worth it just to see her climbing up and down the ladder! 👀👀👀

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:

When that happens to me?.......I just drive up the road for a 6 pack. And wait for The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant to fix it and make everything o.k.

A twelve pack sounds better!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

No stunt, I'm serious, it does this every now and then. I actually did a thread about this about a year ago and I had to use my wife's phone to post, I'll see if I can find the thread.

I was expecting a “LOl” from you lol

But I remember the thread, I had similar issues with my cell as well.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2021 4:26PM

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I was expecting a “LOl” from you lol

But I remember the thread, I had similar issues with my cell as well.

LOL issued, I thought I was going to have to start using my wife's phone for a few days until I could get another one, that would have been rough, she's always on the phone and she's a beast about borrowing her phone, a beast!

• Options
    FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

Unplug your router, power down your phone. Let them sit for a minute. Plug your router back in. Wait for all green. Power phone back on. If still getting the error. Go to the garage. Grab the hammer. Go to wife’s car and go nuts. You will not have to worry about internet service for a long while.

• Options

@Flux said:
    Unplug your router, power down your phone. Let them sit for a minute. Plug your router back in. Wait for all green. Power phone back on. If still getting the error. Go to the garage. Grab the hammer. Go to wife’s car and go nuts. You will not have to worry about internet service for a long while.

Great advice! 😂😂😂😂

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a smart phone.

These generally have two ways to get to the internet
    1. Via wi-fi through the cable
    2. Via data usage over the cellular network through the air

Putting the type of error aside, if one method doesn’t work, fall over to the other.

If it’s a problem with wi-fi, go into settings and turn off wi-fi and force the phone to use cellular data (data fees may apply)

If you are using cellular and it fails, make sure wi-fi is available in settings and choose a wi-fi network.

As far as the error - do you get it on wi-fi (computers on wi-fi would have same troubles), or on cellular data?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

You you and your wife have the same cell phone service provider?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

When that happens to me?.......I just drive up the road for a 6 pack. And wait for The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant to fix it and make everything o.k......never takes 3 1/2 hours. When I get back. I pull up a lawn chair, sit back, and watch her on the roof messing with the dish. Puts a kink in my neck sometimes but I don't care. It's worth it just to see her climbing up and down the ladder! 👀👀👀

Someone should check on @galaxy27 .
    I just had this pop-up on my news feed

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    You have a smart phone.

Putting the type of error aside, if one method doesn’t work, fall over to the other.

If it’s a problem with wi-fi, go into settings and turn off wi-fi and force the phone to use cellular data (data fees may apply)

If you are using cellular and it fails, make sure wi-fi is available in settings and choose a wi-fi network.

As far as the error - do you get it on wi-fi (computers on wi-fi would have same troubles), or on cellular data?

You sir are a wealth of information!

I love the Twilight Zone Avatar too btw

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    You have a smart phone.

Thank you for the info, we get wi-fi through Spectrum, and I use a samsung galaxy phone to get online with. The DNS thing happened again this morning and I unplugged the box for about ten minutes and then plugged it back in and it's fine now. Very strange.

• Options

I'm glad this isn't my high school days, back then I would have gotten drunk and challenged the wi-fi to a fight.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

Someone should check on @galaxy27 .
    I just had this pop-up on my news feed

I caught his post last night

then blacked out shortly thereafter

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm glad this isn't my high school days, back then I would have gotten drunk and challenged the wi-fi to a fight.

O M G.......We have SO much more in common than I ever thought possible. 🍺 😵 ✊. It's actually quite sad and disturbing. Have you grown out of it? I'm still trying.......

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:

O M G.......We have SO much more in common than I ever thought possible. 🍺 😵 ✊. It's actually quite sad and disturbing. Have you grown out of it? I'm still trying.......

Actually, I have been fighting with Google today, somehow my phone got messed up and my Google account shut down, I had to reset my password. I wanted to throw the phone against a wall!

• Options
    edited November 6, 2021 4:48PM

@doubledragon said:

@Hydrant said:

Actually, I have been fighting with Google today, somehow my phone got messed up and my Google account shut down, I had to reset my password. I wanted to throw the phone against a wall!

Do it. Just throw it against the wall....it will ease the tension..... Pretend you're Uncle Rico. Hey, I've got my problems too. .....I'm trying to install the water pump on my truck that Tom Brady made me crash. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant is right there tooling around on her ROLLER SKATES with the shop vac cleaning MY TAHOE. She's cleaning it getting ready for the tailgate party tomorrow. I tell her to stop because the shop vac is making a funny noise. She won't stop. Says my car is disgusting. Anyway, now she's done and she tells me the shop vac isn't working..... all that smoke and stuff.....says we need a new one. I'm going to go back outside and kick the shop vac......there's something else I'd like to kick but.........her tailgate parties are........AWESOME......so I wont.

• Options

Oh uggh, now Google has stopped working again and when I try to sign in, the page freezes up and says samsung internet has stopped working, this has happened five times now, I give up!

• Options
    edited November 6, 2021 5:16PM

Stop complaining DD. Your problems with Google shutting down are nothing compared with the shutdowns we deal with around here. Every Sunday night at midnight until Monday at 4 or 5 in the afternoon our electricity is turned off. Hey,....the benefits of living in California....... highest rates in the country and no power one day a week! We look on the bright side........Since we don't need air conditioning or heating, and NOBODY really needs the internet....... it's o.k.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Stop complaining DD. Your problems with Google shutting down are nothing compared with the shutdowns we deal with around here. Every Sunday night at midnight until Monday at 4 or 5 in the afternoon our electricity is turned off. Hey,....the benefits of living in California....... highest rates in the country and no power one day a week! We look on the bright side........Since we don't need air conditioning or heating, and NOBODY really needs the internet....... it's o.k.

No heating bills, I like the sound of that! 🖒