Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What is this?

Can anybody tell me what I have here?
I’ve seen this version of a cross before on coinage but the flip side stumps me. Any ideas?
If so, how do I tell if it’s real?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2021 2:03PM

Gold cob (2E?) mounted in a pendant. Very common to do with shipwreck pieces as there wasn't enough demand otherwise.

Maybe a cob expert can ID it better.

Its highest and best use is probably that pendant, so best to leave it alone.

Edited to add: If I had to guess, I'd say it's real.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Gold cob (2E?) mounted in a pendant. Very common to do with shipwreck pieces as there wasn't enough demand otherwise.

Maybe a cob expert can ID it better.

Its highest and best use is probably that pendant, so best to leave it alone.

Edited to add: If I had to guess, I'd say it's real.

Thanks.
    I thought it looked like a cob, but the orientation of the shield threw me. I’ve only seen the photo so far.
    Jeweler friend scanned it as 75% gold so it must be fake or his machine is off .
    Wear wouldn’t take a .925 coin down to .75….

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are you getting 92.5% ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

The coat-of-arms on the reverse looks like Charles II.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Where are you getting 92.5% ?

Weren’t they .925% gold?

• Options
    edited October 27, 2021 3:10PM

I believe 0.9167 (aka 22K) purity.

No idea about why the discrepancy though.

I'm stating the obvious, but did you check with a magnet?
    Did the jeweler check the purity of the mounting? Is the mounting marked?

EDITED TO ADD: I can see the mounting being 0.75 (18K) gold. Could he have somehow checked that?